Sign in with
Your question

New build disappointing 3dMark06 score, please help.

Last response: in Systems
January 8, 2008 2:43:38 AM

Hi, I recently built a new computer with 2 gigs of corsair XMS2-6400C4 ram, Asus En8800gt 512mb and a q6600 CPU all at stock. I ran 3dMark06 and only got a score of 8803 which puts me right at the bottom of the similar system comparison. I was hoping that you may be able to give me some advice on how to get a better score. My RAM "has been verifed" to run at 4-4-4-12 but CPU-Z shows it as 8-8-8-15, could this be causing a significant decrease? I do remember changing it to 4-4-4-12 but it appears to have reset itself. My CPU is only hitting 2,619 Marks which I've been led to believe is slow for a Q6600. CPUZ shows my CPU running at 1600mhz when I thought it should be at 2400? I would greatly appreciate anyone's input. Thanks a lot. Ant.

http://service.futuremark.com/orb/resultanalyzer.jsp?pr...
January 8, 2008 3:27:31 AM

yup you are majorly underclocked. if you're comfortable, go into the bios and check to see if it's underclocked there. should be an option on a new mobo - well, anything that's not 3 generations behind. those would be the problems, mostly. try clocking it back up. my e2160 had the same problem, underclocked to 1.2GHz instead of 1.8GHz because it was running on its lowest multiplier. check to see if that isn't the case.
January 8, 2008 3:29:01 AM

1) It's most likely Intel's Speedstep (or whatever's it's called). It's Intel's way of downclocking the CPU to decrease power usage when idling. Saves you money, lowers heat.

2) Sounds like you need to manually change the RAM timings. You'll need to go into the BIOS and adjust those timings to your RAM's rated 4-4-4-12.

3) I would try to look at your BIOS settings and optimize them where you can.

EDIT: BTW, if 3DMark06 says that your Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz @ XXGhz, that is your CPU speed. Although my CPU downclocks, 3DMark06 says T7300 @ 2.0Ghz @ 1995Mhz - which is fine.
Related resources
January 8, 2008 3:32:12 AM

wolfseeker2828 said:
yup you are majorly underclocked. if you're comfortable, go into the bios and check to see if it's underclocked there. should be an option on a new mobo - well, anything that's not 3 generations behind. those would be the problems, mostly. try clocking it back up. my e2160 had the same problem, underclocked to 1.2GHz instead of 1.8GHz because it was running on its lowest multiplier. check to see if that isn't the case.

Uh, you sure it wasn't Intel's Speedstep??? My 2.0Ghz T7300 Dual Core likes to downclock to 1.2Ghz. So ya...
January 8, 2008 11:27:29 AM

Hey guys, great news. I went into the BIOS and noticed the CPU multiplier was set to 6 and the speed was on 1.6 ghz so i changed the multiplier to 9, restarted and ran 3Dmark again. This time i got a score of 11,690! :-) Do I need to change any voltages or anything or should it be alright as it is? Now when i open a lot of windows in CPUZ the speed goes from 1.6 to 2.4 which is what it should have been doing before. I'd quite like to overclock it but i'll save that until I actually understand what I'm doing :-)
January 8, 2008 12:35:51 PM

natastna2 said:
Hey guys, great news. I went into the BIOS and noticed the CPU multiplier was set to 6 and the speed was on 1.6 ghz so i changed the multiplier to 9, restarted and ran 3Dmark again. This time i got a score of 11,690! :-) Do I need to change any voltages or anything or should it be alright as it is? Now when i open a lot of windows in CPUZ the speed goes from 1.6 to 2.4 which is what it should have been doing before. I'd quite like to overclock it but i'll save that until I actually understand what I'm doing :-)

Your Desktop PC Q6600's default speed is 2.4Ghz. Your motherboard has its energy saving feature turned on, different motherboards will have slightly different names like Speedstep.

You have already manually set your multiplier to 9 which is correct but your mobo may continue to vary your Mhz until you disable those power saving modes off.

If you don't plan to overclock, than thats it, your done, don't mess with the voltages. If you do plan to overclock than you definitely need to disable power savings modes and manually adjust your FSB up until your computer will no longer boot or run stable benchmarks and only than you can start worrying about voltages.
January 8, 2008 1:27:13 PM

Two things here.

1.) I don't recall anyone ever winning 3dMark06. Is that a game that can be won?

2.) What are your system specs. I don't see a MoBo model listed.

I have to agree with warezme on what he said about not needing to adjust the voltages or anything unless you plan on overclocking. Most people (especailly gamers) don't use as much of the processing power of the CPU as the GPU.
January 8, 2008 1:29:29 PM

I don't really want to OC it that much and think 2.8 or 3 would be great. If I set my cpu to 3ghz is there a corresponding figure for the FSB or is it just a case of trial and error? Thanks for your help! Ant.
January 8, 2008 1:35:04 PM

Nine times front side bus equalls final speed. 9 X 266 =2394 ~ 2,400. What do you do with this computer, anyways? If its just games, then I would be willing to bet that you would never notice any frames per second difference... at least with the naked eye.
January 8, 2008 1:44:36 PM

Yeah, I play games and watch a lot of films. No video editing or anything that intensive. It just seems to me that if the Q6600 can hit 3Ghz without a problem then I may as well set it to that. It's just that I don't really know what settings to choose in my Bios. I have a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R F9 which seems to be fairly intuitive but I really dislike destroying expensive things.
January 8, 2008 1:54:07 PM

i was like u. then finally decided to overclock it. n im loving my pc now. :) 
January 8, 2008 1:57:16 PM

You would have been better served with an E6750. It would have overclocked more and with less heat. It also would have cost less money and cost less to operate (electricity). Try overclocking your chip if you want. Know that in doing so, you will generate more heat and it will cost you more to operate. Also, make sure there is a reason for doing so. Run the 3dmark to see if your frames per second goes up any. The cpu score won't matter. Don't look at that. Look at the other benchmarks to see if they improve any. Lastly, try to get your ram running as high as is stable. That is much more likely to have an impact on noticable responses and system performance then the ability to crunch really really really big numbers a few seconds faster. I wouldn't worry as much about the timings (latencies) as much as the speed. I would be willing to bet that that ram would OC nicely.
January 8, 2008 2:00:33 PM

natastna2 said:

Glad you got that CPU problem worked out. What does CPU-Z say your RAM timings are now?
January 8, 2008 2:04:46 PM

gwolfman said:
Glad you got that CPU problem worked out. What does CPU-Z say your RAM timings are now?

CPU-Z will also show your ram speed. What-cha runnin'?
January 8, 2008 2:28:25 PM

I changed the timings to 4-4-4-12 and thats what CPUZ shows now, frequency is 400mhz and FSB:D ram is 2:3. Command rate is 2T. I don't really know the first thing about overclocking RAM but if its as easy as OCing a video card I'll love to give it a go. Thanks for all your help, as always I'm amazed at how much time I save by asking you guys! :-)
January 8, 2008 2:33:34 PM

3dmark it now to see if there is any decernable benifit to the tighter timings. I would love to know.

Forgot to ask... Your ram is in duel channel, right?
January 8, 2008 2:37:07 PM

"Nine times front side bus equalls final speed" Aha that makes perfect sense! So if I were to change my FSB to 333 my final speed should be 3ghz. I take it is not so good just slapping it straight up to 333 and I should do it incrementally. If i were to change my FSB to 333 would I need to change any voltages? It's just voltages scare me.
January 8, 2008 2:40:33 PM

Is that right? Shouldn't it be fine/better at 1:1 too?
January 8, 2008 2:46:14 PM

Yep, the RAM is in dual channel mode. Well CPUZ says channel: Dual so I presume it is. I changed the ram timings and also the CPU multiplier at the same time so I can't really compare 3dmark scores. Once I've finished OCing I'll compare the difference.
January 8, 2008 4:30:25 PM

drysocks said:
Is that right? Shouldn't it be fine/better at 1:1 too?

No. You can run memory faster then 1:1. My asus boards allow for 1:2. Twice as fast as the system bus. Remember system bus X 4 = FSB. Run the ram up as fast as you can without sacrificing stability/reliability. That's why I asked the op to look at the cpu score in 3dMarks to see if there was really any advantage in increasing the clock speed.

As to the question about voltage. Each motherboard/CPU combo runs the odds of being non-uniform in terms of over-clockability and the voltage required to maintain stability. When you are running out of manufacturer's specs, you have some trial and error.
January 8, 2008 5:09:31 PM

I don't want to sound like a noob but how exactly do I run the RAM up as far as I can?
January 8, 2008 5:28:16 PM

For the purposes of walking you through it, I wish you had an Asus board. I know my way around Asus' bios well. The gigabyte board will have a bios setting, too. It may be expressed in terms of a ratio or expressed in terms of DDR speed. There will be a bios setting for it. Just look around. You found your latencies. Usually the speed setting is in something like a "jumperless-bla-bla" setting. Take it up slowly and try to stay somewhere close in terms of the stock voltage. You can see what the stock voltage is supposed to be at PC 6400 in CPU-Z. Stay close to that and see if you can turn up the speed.

One last thing. In the bios before you can mess with the speed, you probably have to change a setting allowing the speed of the ram to run on manuel; then you can adjust the speed.
January 8, 2008 6:51:38 PM

Make sure the CPU Cooler is on correctly. A stock Q6600 should be running around 30-35 C with a retail cooler. Sometimes the Cooler does not center properly, and the Temps shoot up and it slows down.
January 8, 2008 7:03:28 PM

Don't listen to piasabird. Keep clocking it until it glows red hot. ;) 
January 8, 2008 8:05:23 PM

Hello piasabird. I was in your sitch a few days ago when I built my system. I have a Gigabyte p35-DS3L board which should be pretty similar to yours. Also have a Q6600 G0, 2x2 ram, and 8800gt.

Overclocking the Q6600 to 3ghz is easy as pie with the gigabyte motherboard. I did it in one shot, changing the 266 to 333. Then set the memory to 667 to allow for 1:1 ratio. Leave the voltage to auto on your first boot. Booted up and ran Prime95 and was stable for 3 hours that I ran it. Temps were ~50C idle and 65C load which admitly isn't too good. I then changed the voltage in the bios from 1.2375 to 1.2185 and now it idles at 45C and 60C load while it is still stable. Haven't tried going lower in voltage yet. Too busy playing games..

One thing though. Is your q6600 B3 or G0? That would affect overclocking and temps. Also, read the C2D/C2Q overclocking guide and temperature guide here on tomshardware. They are excellent and easy to follow.
January 8, 2008 11:02:16 PM

The stepping is G0 and idle temps are around 40 with load being 45 -50. I think I'll buy a better CPU cooler before I overclock as at the moment I can play COD4 on 1680 by 1050 with everything maxed out. I don't really need the extra power. I know I should really reseat my stock cooler and reapply the thermal paste but it was such a pain to get the thing on in the first place I'd rather just replace it. Thanks for all your help and now I'll know what to do when I start OCing it :-) When you say set the memory to 667 isn't that quite a large increase from the 400mhz it is normally set to?
January 8, 2008 11:04:13 PM

Also does anyone know of any particularly good CPU coolers for the Q6600 on the Gigabyte p35C DS3R board? Thanks again. Ant.
January 8, 2008 11:08:42 PM

Oh and did you disable the speedstep and c1e thing?
January 9, 2008 1:22:59 AM

With my E6300, getting a 25% overclock was as easy as setting the FSB on my motherboard, and setting the RAM to a 1:1 ratio (DDR2-5300). Easiest overclock ever, IMO. It's been running like that since then, over a year (18 months?). I am using a Scythe Ninja HS, which helps keep the temps down.

With a Q6600, it might be a little more complicated/playing around, but I don't think you should have to fart around with a bunch of tiny steps.

Clint
January 9, 2008 1:53:38 AM

I have a Q6600 GO on GA-P35-DS3L and 3.0ghz. is a gimmie unless you have poor case ventilation and a stock retail cooler due to high temps.  You will just have to check it.  Go to the MB Intelligent Tweaker section of the bios. Set 'enable' on the CPU Host Clock Control.  That will light up the line below it click on the box and a new window appears, type '333' in that and click 'enter'. Set your PCIe and PCI to 100/66 respectively.  Next go to SYSTEM MEMORY MULTIPLIER (SPD)Settings..choose 2.00 and hit 'Enter' in the window that appears.  Leave everything else on alone.  Hit F10 and enter.
January 9, 2008 11:52:14 AM

I've only ever had my Q6600 on a coolit freezone so I don't know what temps you should be getting on the stock cooler. If they are high, I suspect that is a case/cable management airflow item. Don't reseat the stock cooler. If you installed it correctly, it is installed correctly. You probably wouldn't realize any benifit to a thermal paste vs the thermal patch that Intel uses. As to your comments about frames per second, again, this is more of a GPU question normally. Most games can not access the second two cores. So that brings the question, what case have you got?
January 9, 2008 4:03:01 PM

I have this case http://www.nzxt.com/products/lexa/. The load temperature after playing Crysis for an hour is still only 50 so I think it should be fine. Thanks again for all your help :-) Ant.
January 9, 2008 5:15:18 PM

I don't think I would get upset by 50C. Nice set up, by the way.
January 9, 2008 9:34:53 PM

no offense but that case looks like a star wars tie fighter
and for the gpu overclocking Try Nvidias Ntune programs for beginners and Riva tuner for intermeadeaite to advanced
January 10, 2008 2:22:54 PM

random1283 said:
no offense but that case looks like a star wars tie fighter
and for the gpu overclocking Try Nvidias Ntune programs for beginners and Riva tuner for intermeadeaite to advanced

Yea, but does it make that cool noise when it goes flying across the room? Of course, this might require you to throw it, but it might be worth it to find out if it would make that screaming noise.
January 11, 2008 2:07:39 AM

I've tried throwing it across the room and I've noticed a severe increase in idle core temps. i WOULDN'T recommend this to other Nzxt Lexa owners.
January 11, 2008 1:58:47 PM

Interesting that you left it plugged in for it's test flight. Extension cord? Or did you crazy glue a UPS to it? :) 
!