which linux /dev/xx points to my usb palm?

April 26, 2004 12:39:38 AM

Hi,

I cannot hotsync my palm via the USB cradle, using Kpilot version 4.4.1
(KDE3.2.1) on Linux RH9.
I see the Pal in my USB list (does not show a device file though), but
which device (like /dev/usb/ttyUSB0) should I indicate in the settings
of Kpilot? I tried a couple of them, without any success.

Any hints?

Ralf
April 26, 2004 4:13:20 AM

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:39:38 +0000, Ralf Hartings wrote:
> I cannot hotsync my palm via the USB cradle, using Kpilot version 4.4.1
> (KDE3.2.1) on Linux RH9.
> I see the Pal in my USB list (does not show a device file though), but
> which device (like /dev/usb/ttyUSB0) should I indicate in the settings
> of Kpilot? I tried a couple of them, without any success.

It will use something like /dev/usb/ttyUSB1. It will depend on what Palm
you have. They are usually on ttyUSB1, but some of them are on ttyUSB0.

I use JPilot, so that's as far as I can help you.

Normally what I do is do an 'ls /dev/usb', then press the Hot Sync button.
Then redo the 'ls /dev/usb' and see what devices show up. Only 2 should
appear. It has to be one of them.
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 11:03:07 PM

Nemo wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:39:38 +0000, Ralf Hartings wrote:
>
>>I cannot hotsync my palm via the USB cradle, using Kpilot version 4.4.1
>>(KDE3.2.1) on Linux RH9.
>>I see the Pal in my USB list (does not show a device file though), but
>>which device (like /dev/usb/ttyUSB0) should I indicate in the settings
>>of Kpilot? I tried a couple of them, without any success.
>

> It will use something like /dev/usb/ttyUSB1. It will depend on what Palm
> you have. They are usually on ttyUSB1, but some of them are on ttyUSB0.
>
> I use JPilot, so that's as far as I can help you.
>
> Normally what I do is do an 'ls /dev/usb', then press the Hot Sync button.
> Then redo the 'ls /dev/usb' and see what devices show up. Only 2 should
> appear. It has to be one of them.

Nemo,

I tried ls /dev/usb before and after pressing the hot-sync, but there is
no difference! No new devices appear. Could this be because of DevFs?
Where could it be in that case?

Ralf
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 11:57:44 PM

Ralf Hartings wrote:

> Nemo,
>
> I tried ls /dev/usb before and after pressing the hot-sync, but there is
> no difference! No new devices appear. Could this be because of DevFs?
> Where could it be in that case?
>
> Ralf

Hi,

I noticed that the device is NOT claimed by ANY driver, see
/proc/bus/usb/devices: (part of only)

T: Bus=05 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 29 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 1.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=091e ProdID=0004 Rev= 1.00
S: Manufacturer=Palm, Inc.
S: Product=Palm Handheld
S: SerialNumber=PalmSN12345678
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr= 2mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 5 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=(none)
E: Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=03(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 32 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=84(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 32 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=05(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 32 Ivl=0ms

>> It says: "Driver=(none)" <<

What should I do to assign the correct driver? I do have the device
included in the /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap list

Thanks for any hints

Ralf
April 27, 2004 1:42:31 AM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:57:44 +0000, Ralf Hartings wrote:
> I noticed that the device is NOT claimed by ANY driver, see
> /proc/bus/usb/devices: (part of only)

Neither is mine. Don't worry about this.

> What should I do to assign the correct driver? I do have the device
> included in the /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap list

What kind of Palm do you have?

I think that the problem is that the USB ID for it isn't in visor.o.

When I've gotten a newer Palm than my system supports, I usually have to
patch visor.o to add the new USB ID.

After that, DevFS takes care of things for me.
April 27, 2004 1:43:04 AM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:03:07 +0000, Ralf Hartings wrote:
> I tried ls /dev/usb before and after pressing the hot-sync, but there is
> no difference! No new devices appear. Could this be because of DevFs?
> Where could it be in that case?

Then DevFS isn't creating the devices. Is DevFS running?
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 8:23:31 PM

Nemo wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:57:44 +0000, Ralf Hartings wrote:

>>What should I do to assign the correct driver? I do have the device
>>included in the /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap list
>

> What kind of Palm do you have?

It is a new Garmin model "iQue", a combined PDA/GPS, running with Palm
OS 5.2.1, release3. Behaves just like my Palm m515, but more modern
(m515 runs Palm 4.1).

> I think that the problem is that the USB ID for it isn't in visor.o.

That looks like a very good reason!

> When I've gotten a newer Palm than my system supports, I usually have to
> patch visor.o to add the new USB ID.

How should this module be changed? It is a mix of code and text if I
open it in a text editor.....

> After that, DevFS takes care of things for me.

DevFs is running (works for my 2 scanners)
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 10:28:17 PM

Hi,

I found this on the web:

http://www.lycestra.com/iQueDoc/?12

It explains what should be done. You can compile a new module. Has
anybody tried this. I have never compiled a module. Is there a
step-by-step instruction?

Ralf
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 4:43:05 PM

> It explains what should be done. You can compile a new module. Has
> anybody tried this. I have never compiled a module. Is there a
> step-by-step instruction?

You don't mention which kernel version you're running, so there
are two ways to do this:

1.) Recompile the kernel module (VERY easy to do).

2.) modprobe visor with the right parameters

To build _just_ the visor kernel module, make sure you have the
kernel sources that built the kernel you are _currently_ running. Unpack
them and execute 'make menuconfig' in the kernel source tree. When you get
to the main menu of options, exit, saving the kernel config. CHANGE
NOTHING. If the kernel sources are mated to the kernel you're booted to,
this should already have the visor code selected for you.

Next, type the following:

make modules SUBDIR=drivers/usb/serial make modules_install
SUBDIR=drivers/usb/serial

That's it.

If you know your kernel is 2.4.22 or newer, you can modprobe the kernel
driver directly, with the right parameters for your iQue device. Based on
the doc linked to on lycestra, that would be the following syntax:

insmod visor vendor=0x091e product=0x0004

That's it. Remember, if you run hotplug, devfs, or any other funky
"auto-add devices" kind of scripts (STRONGLY discouraged, hotplug and
devfs are considered a pretty large, gaping security risk), you'll have to
make sure you apply these parameters in the proper place, so the driver is
added with the proper params at connect time.

If you need more help, you can find us on irc.pilot-link.org in the
channel #pilot-link.

Good luck!
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 12:05:49 AM

David,

Thank you very much for your step-by-step instructions. I could not find
such clear instructions on the web...
I understand that the way you describe in detail and prefer, is the
first one, compiling the visor module only. I will try that next week
(have a large pile of work to do first...). Just of pure curiosity, how
does the second option work?

Rergarding the first way, I run Red Hat with a 2.4.20-30.9 kernel and
the source code is installed. I have modified the visor.c and visor.h
files according to the instructions in :

http://www.lycestra.com/iQueDoc/?12

The source is located in /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-30.9
I guess this is what you mean with the "kernel source tree"? It contains:

[ralf@L1533 linux-2.4.20-30.9]$ ll
totalt 720
drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 4096 21 feb 10.42 arch
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 21 feb 10.42 configs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18691 3 aug 2002 COPYING
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16237 5 feb 02.58 COPYING.modules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 79913 5 feb 02.25 CREDITS
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 21 feb 10.42 crypto
drwxr-xr-x 31 root root 4096 21 feb 10.41 Documentation
drwxr-xr-x 45 root root 4096 21 feb 10.42 drivers
drwxr-xr-x 47 root root 4096 21 feb 10.42 fs
drwxr-xr-x 27 root root 4096 21 feb 10.42 include
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 21 feb 10.42 init
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 21 feb 10.42 ipc
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 21 feb 10.42 kernel
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 21 feb 10.42 lib
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 43544 5 feb 02.25 MAINTAINERS
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 20474 5 feb 02.58 Makefile
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 21 feb 10.42 mm
drwxr-xr-x 30 root root 4096 21 feb 10.42 net
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 14239 3 aug 2002 README
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2818 5 feb 02.25 REPORTING-BUGS
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9217 5 feb 02.25 Rules.make
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 21 feb 10.42 scripts
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 451848 5 feb 03.02 tmp_include_depends

I do run DevFs, but I have already changed the /etc/usb/usb.usermap file
indicated in the web link above.

This should work I guess?

In case I run into troubles next week I will post a message on this
newsgroup.
Thanks again for you very clear instructions

Ralf

David A. Desrosiers wrote:
>>It explains what should be done. You can compile a new module. Has
>>anybody tried this. I have never compiled a module. Is there a
>>step-by-step instruction?
>

> You don't mention which kernel version you're running, so there
> are two ways to do this:
>
> 1.) Recompile the kernel module (VERY easy to do).
>
> 2.) modprobe visor with the right parameters
>
> To build _just_ the visor kernel module, make sure you have the
> kernel sources that built the kernel you are _currently_ running. Unpack
> them and execute 'make menuconfig' in the kernel source tree. When you get
> to the main menu of options, exit, saving the kernel config. CHANGE
> NOTHING. If the kernel sources are mated to the kernel you're booted to,
> this should already have the visor code selected for you.
>
> Next, type the following:
>
> make modules SUBDIR=drivers/usb/serial make modules_install
> SUBDIR=drivers/usb/serial
>
> That's it.
>
> If you know your kernel is 2.4.22 or newer, you can modprobe the kernel
> driver directly, with the right parameters for your iQue device. Based on
> the doc linked to on lycestra, that would be the following syntax:
>
> insmod visor vendor=0x091e product=0x0004
>
> That's it. Remember, if you run hotplug, devfs, or any other funky
> "auto-add devices" kind of scripts (STRONGLY discouraged, hotplug and
> devfs are considered a pretty large, gaping security risk), you'll have to
> make sure you apply these parameters in the proper place, so the driver is
> added with the proper params at connect time.
>
> If you need more help, you can find us on irc.pilot-link.org in the
> channel #pilot-link.
>
> Good luck!
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 9:31:31 PM

Hi,

Compiling the modules resulted in a failure. It seems that ALL modules
were compiled. During this process, an "error 2" occured in a video
module (???).

Is the command: make modules SUBDIR=drivers/usb/serial
correct?

Ralf

Ralf Hartings wrote:

> In case I run into troubles next week I will post a message on this
> newsgroup.
> Thanks again for you very clear instructions
>
> Ralf
>

> David A. Desrosiers wrote:
>
>>> It explains what should be done. You can compile a new module. Has
>>> anybody tried this. I have never compiled a module. Is there a
>>> step-by-step instruction?
>>

>> You don't mention which kernel version you're running, so there
>> are two ways to do this:
>>
>> 1.) Recompile the kernel module (VERY easy to do).
>>
>> 2.) modprobe visor with the right parameters
>>
>> To build _just_ the visor kernel module, make sure you have the
>> kernel sources that built the kernel you are _currently_ running. Unpack
>> them and execute 'make menuconfig' in the kernel source tree. When you
>> get
>> to the main menu of options, exit, saving the kernel config. CHANGE
>> NOTHING. If the kernel sources are mated to the kernel you're booted to,
>> this should already have the visor code selected for you.
>>
>> Next, type the following:
>>
>> make modules SUBDIR=drivers/usb/serial make modules_install
>> SUBDIR=drivers/usb/serial
>>
>> That's it.
>>
>> If you know your kernel is 2.4.22 or newer, you can modprobe the
>> kernel
>> driver directly, with the right parameters for your iQue device. Based on
>> the doc linked to on lycestra, that would be the following syntax:
>>
>> insmod visor vendor=0x091e product=0x0004
>>
>> That's it. Remember, if you run hotplug, devfs, or any other funky
>> "auto-add devices" kind of scripts (STRONGLY discouraged, hotplug and
>> devfs are considered a pretty large, gaping security risk), you'll
>> have to
>> make sure you apply these parameters in the proper place, so the
>> driver is
>> added with the proper params at connect time.
>>
>> If you need more help, you can find us on irc.pilot-link.org in the
>> channel #pilot-link.
>>
>> Good luck!
Anonymous
May 1, 2004 12:25:50 AM

Hi,

Problem is solved!

This is what I had to do (see also earlier posts!) to re-compile the
visor.o module to include data for the Garmin PDA:

# cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-30.9/ (2.4.20-30.9 is my kernel))
# make menuconfig (change nothing, but just save the
settings; as David said!)
# make modules DIR=drivers/usb/serial (this takes a while....)
# make modules_install DIR=drivers/usb/serial

Now, the newly created visor.o is still in the same directory as the
visor.c and visor.h files
(/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-30.9/drivers/usb/serial) and needs to be copied
to the modules directory:
/lib/modules/2.4.20-30.9/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/

Now it workes as stated by David!!

I have a perfect contact now with the GARMIN iQue's Palm OS.

Thanks for all help!

Ralf
!