  • DVD
  • CD-Rom
  • Windows XP
July 25, 2005 1:35:40 PM

I have a dual boot arrangement with 98SE and XP.
In XP after switching on there is no sign of my DVD/CD-ROM drives in Windows
explorer unles I go through the following sequence:
Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Mngr -> IDE/ATA/ATAPI
Controlers -> NVIDIA NFORCE MCP2 IDE Controller -> Right click , scan for
Hardware Changes ... then the DVD/CD-ROM drives appear and work perfectly.

How do Iresolve this?

Many thanks,
Brian Parkinson

More about : dvd rom drives

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 1:35:41 PM

Hi Brian,

See if this helps:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

Under section 8 - Problems - there is a link to a patch that often resolves
this problem

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Brian Parkinson" <brianREMOVE@THISparkinson11.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
message news:D c288h$cde$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk...
>I have a dual boot arrangement with 98SE and XP.
> In XP after switching on there is no sign of my DVD/CD-ROM drives in
> Windows explorer unles I go through the following sequence:
> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Mngr -> IDE/ATA/ATAPI
> Controlers -> NVIDIA NFORCE MCP2 IDE Controller -> Right click , scan for
> Hardware Changes ... then the DVD/CD-ROM drives appear and work perfectly.
>
> How do Iresolve this?
>
> Many thanks,
> Brian Parkinson

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 3:41:17 PM

Rick,
Appreciate the quick response. I have already tried the patch which I found
via a search engine, but it did not resolve the problem. Brian

> Hi Brian,
>
> See if this helps:
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm
>
> Under section 8 - Problems - there is a link to a patch that often
> resolves this problem
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Brian Parkinson" <brianREMOVE@THISparkinson11.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
> message news:D c288h$cde$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk...
>>I have a dual boot arrangement with 98SE and XP.
>> In XP after switching on there is no sign of my DVD/CD-ROM drives in
>> Windows explorer unles I go through the following sequence:
>> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Mngr -> IDE/ATA/ATAPI
>> Controlers -> NVIDIA NFORCE MCP2 IDE Controller -> Right click , scan for
>> Hardware Changes ... then the DVD/CD-ROM drives appear and work
>> perfectly.
>>
>> How do Iresolve this?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Brian Parkinson

July 25, 2005 11:51:16 PM

Hi Brian,

Have you tried checking for a controller update?

--

message news:D c2fk4$3j4$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Rick,
> Appreciate the quick response. I have already tried the patch which I
> found via a search engine, but it did not resolve the problem. Brian

>> Hi Brian,
>>
>> See if this helps:
>> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm
>>
>> Under section 8 - Problems - there is a link to a patch that often
>> resolves this problem
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Brian Parkinson" <brianREMOVE@THISparkinson11.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
>> message news:D c288h$cde$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk...
>>>I have a dual boot arrangement with 98SE and XP.
>>> In XP after switching on there is no sign of my DVD/CD-ROM drives in
>>> Windows explorer unles I go through the following sequence:
>>> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Mngr -> IDE/ATA/ATAPI
>>> Controlers -> NVIDIA NFORCE MCP2 IDE Controller -> Right click , scan
>>> for Hardware Changes ... then the DVD/CD-ROM drives appear and work
>>> perfectly.
>>>
>>> How do Iresolve this?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Brian Parkinson

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 3:11:41 PM

Rick,
I have the latest drivers for NVIDIA installed ... would this include the
"controller"?

Regards, Brian

> Hi Brian,
>
> Have you tried checking for a controller update?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Brian Parkinson" <brianREMOVE@THISparkinson11.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
> message news:D c2fk4$3j4$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> Rick,
>> Appreciate the quick response. I have already tried the patch which I
>> found via a search engine, but it did not resolve the problem. Brian
>>
>> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi Brian,
>>>
>>> See if this helps:
>>> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm
>>>
>>> Under section 8 - Problems - there is a link to a patch that often
>>> resolves this problem
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
>>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>>
>>> "Brian Parkinson" <brianREMOVE@THISparkinson11.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
>>> message news:D c288h$cde$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk...

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 3:11:42 PM

Hi Brian,

I am referring to the motherboard chipset drivers, as that is what appears
to be causing the error. Do not confuse them with an Nvidia display driver.

--

message news:D cab10$4ql$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Rick,
> I have the latest drivers for NVIDIA installed ... would this include the
> "controller"?
>
> Regards, Brian

>> Hi Brian,
>>
>> Have you tried checking for a controller update?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Brian Parkinson" <brianREMOVE@THISparkinson11.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
>> message news:D c2fk4$3j4$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
>>> Rick,
>>> Appreciate the quick response. I have already tried the patch which I
>>> found via a search engine, but it did not resolve the problem. Brian
>>>
>>> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 4:52:56 PM

Rick,
Thanks, the motherboard drivers are up todate. For some reason the cd and
dvd drives are now registering in windows explorer. Don't know the reason
but perhaps the patch has decided to function now??
Appreciate your help.

Brian

!