best 24" monitor

beatts

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Best 24" monitor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guys,
well im looking to upgrade my old syncmaster 913n to a bigger widescreen as im getting a new g.card in a few days.
ive narrowed it down to 2 but am unsure of the best,
my choices is the samsung 245b:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-054-SA

and the second is a overclocker value one:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-026-OK&groupid=703&catid=17&subcat=510

the samsung uses a tn panel and has a contrast ratio of 3000:1

the OC value one uses a VA panel? but only contrast ratio of 1000:1 and is no named but carries same warranty as the samsung.

the samsung i can get for £300 with delivery the no name is £258 with delivery.

any body know anything about monitors and which i should get thanks

ps sorry fro posting this in the tv card subsection, i couldnt find any for monitor

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I just bought the 245BW... I must admit, it's realllllly nice.

The Syncmaster does indeed have a better contrast ratio as well as a 1ms faster response time (although it is GtG and now BtB). I doubt you'd notice a 1ms difference, but whatever. :p

Anyways, I've bought my share of "no name" sets before and they've all disappointed me in some way. With Samsung, you get the name as well as a ton of outstanding reviews on the product. (It's even recommended as one of the best gaming monitors here: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2049206&FTVAR_STKEYWORDFRM=&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear Just scroll down a bit and they've got recommendations in different categories)

My money goes on the Samsung... but my opinion is biased because I just bought one and love it. :D

3000:1 contrast ratio is pure BS. That is the "newer" and more misleading Dynamic Contrast. The actual or Static Contrast is probably more like 1000:1.

The OC looks to be too inexpensive to be using a VA panel, but the specs do point to a VA panel. Could be a no name brand who bought VA panels batches that were rejected by higher end brand names due to "higher than average defects". Rather than throwing them away, LCD panel manufactures probably gives a deep discount to either recover most of the cost of manufacturing or to make a razor thin profit.

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
Sammy makes panels used by others.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

I own a Dell monitor with a Sammy panel. My data HD's are Sammy. I almost bought a Sammy TV. I gotta say Sammy is pretty darn good with just about everything they make.

By the Sammy. Be safe.

asgallant

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
I have the Samsung 245BW, and its just ok. The response time is fast, I guess, but I had a 25ms response time monitor before, and I never saw any ghosting. The big problems are the colors and the viewing angles. It has an 18-bit panel (versus 24-bit) and uses dithering to replicate the remaining colors. As a perfectionist, I find its color reproduction unacceptable. The viewing angles are less than what Samsung claims (~160-170 degrees IIRC) - they are so bad that if you sit only a few feet from the monitor (what I think of as "normal") you see color distortion on the left and right sides of the monitor.

That being said, this is the only Samsung product I have been disappointed with.

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004

Oh, that is the 6bit TN panel. Yeah, them guys are not as good as the 8bit panels for color reproduction. But you get what you paid for.

Notice that the value monitor has a viewing angle of 180/180 which is really good.
The samsung 245B is at 160/160.
The 24" monitor you want is the samsung 245T with a 178/178 viewing angle.

Why is this important? If you don't hold your head in the proper horizontal and vertical position, the monitor with the poorer viewing angle will look washed out.

Achtungbaby

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
I would recommend the Benq FP241VW that i have, it is a stunner... no complaints whatsoever! Got it cheaper than all other 24" panels bar the acer!

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

some thoughts from Anandtech...

"Closing Thoughts

Frankly, considering the price, it's difficult to justify the HP w2408. It looks nice and performs reasonably well, but there other similarly priced LCDs have better features and higher-quality panels. We like the idea of seeing 24" LCDs come down in price, but we would prefer to keep most of the features and quality intact. Dell's 2405FPW offered numerous video inputs back in 2005 with an S-PVA panel; while we might rate the modern S-TN panel used in the w2408 as being slightly better and the design is more attractive, in other ways the 2405FPW is still superior."

Link to whole article. It is directed at the new HP, but I think it applies across the board.

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3188&p=10

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002

I'll second that, the Dell 2407WFP-HC is probably the best 24" display monitor you can get. However if money is an issue the non HC models are still good and should cost a lot less.

G

I'm looking for a 24" LCD that is great for web design (photoshop etc) and great for Gaming (COD4, Crysis etc)

Is there such a monitor?

monnewbie3

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Hey beatts,
I picked up the 245bw, and I can say from actually using it and not looking at the specs, it's a solid monitor.

I'm just a gamer really, and it's a quick/crisp monitor.
It lacks inputs; dvi and vga only.
The color is actually better then I thought it would be, it's actually pretty damn good.
Yes the viewing angle aint the greatest as geofelt pointed out, it can looked washed out if your really slouching or on a odd angle.
However, if you plan on sitting in front of your computer and not off to the side you're fine. Even so, the washout a'int that bad.

One other good point is how you can adjust this monitor. All you have to do is basically touch it, and it will move up for down, or tilt for you with out any odd levers or whatever. Which is a nice feature since you can adjust it any which way very very easily, and it can be raised quite high.

So from my point of view heres my break down.

Pros

- Price for what your getting
- Very quick
- Great color
- Very ergonomic
- Some good options (inside the monitor control panel)
- Sexified
- Name

Cons

- Lack of inputs
- Washout
- Sexified meets dust (black gloss)

I hope that help'd you out a bit, I can't say much for the other monitor since I never used it before. Can't really judge by the specs because there is technically no standards set for measureing them.

Monnewbie,

g25rj

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2002
I have a Samsung Syncmaster 245T and I think i a great monitor.
The 245T is allot better then the 245BW because of the inputs (DVI, S-Video, Component, HDMI), the colors are great (if you calibrate it correctly) and the response time is good.

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
I just recently upgraded to the Samasung SM-245B bought from ocuk and i can say it's awsome. I came from a Sam'y 19" but this size is overwhelming.

Just a word to the wise, people say your fps drops in games but i didn't realise how much. I've gone from playing Crysis @ Very High 35avg fps to 17fps with the new screen :(.

One odd thing about it is the screen can rock side to side, it's fairly loose so everytime you turn it on you might have to re-adjust it again. Probs a screw at the back just needs tightening however, i've not looked into it much.

kbits

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
I'll speak of two monitors I own and use.

Dell 2407WFP-HC >>> You can't go wrong. Lot's of input (no HDMI), nice image, good quality. I know several people who own those 24", no complain, only good feedback.

Benq fp241vw >>> You can go wrong. Some monitor have a blackout problem well documented, where you lost image for a brief moment occasionnally. Also, built quality isn't as good as the Dell one.

Otherwise it is a great piece of equipement with a lot of inputs (including HDMI which can be used as DVI with proper cable). Just make sure you manufactured date is september 07 or after, so you'll get the latest firmware with 1:1 fix.

zerone

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I am looking get a 24" monitor too. I was planning to get 245bw but held back coz of color dithering and viewing angle issues.

Anyone know of any issues with Samsung 245T or the Dell 2407WFP-HC for gaming? Is the response time good for gaming? I heard some people complain about some noise from the Samsung.

ooral

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007

I have to vote for the Dell, I have one and it was expensive, but I believe komplett are selling them about £100 cheaper then I bought it for. (I bought it from them as well!) Great company, quick delivery.

Top quality display, the best display I've ever used.

OOps, just checked my e-mail, actually it was PC buy-it, price now too just under £280, on the link....

http://www.pcbuyit.co.uk/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=67&dept%5Fname=Dell

I can recommend from personal use the Samsung 244T. It has been replaced by the similar 245T which should be equally good. I have had 5 samsung monitors over the years, and have never had a bad or stuck pixel. Samsung makes the lcd panels for a number of other companies, including Dell. I think they may keep the best quality panels for themselves.

Almost all lcd monitors have a refresh rate of 60hz. It is unnecessary to have that 85hz that crt's need to keep from looking jumpy. That translates to 1/60 or 16ms. It seems to me that the value of ultra low grey to grey times of 6ms and under is not that important. LCD tech info is a bit hazy to me, so I could be wrong here. It seems more important to me that your video card be able to get closer to that 60 fps that the monitor can handle.

cardio

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2004
I have been most pleased with the Dell 2407, the others are probably fine but the Dell just has so many inputs and goodies. It has been superb.
But for gaming I am wowed by my TH-65PF10UK Panasonic plasma. It is good for general computer use also, surprisingly. Being able to adjust the exact picture size for each input is something that would be nice on all monitors, as it elimates the underscan/overscan problem. All video adjustments are also for each input rather than globally. Wish I could afford the 103" ($69,995). The 150" displayed at CES was awe inspiring but the Panasonic guys were guessing it was going to come in at about $150,000. Also I don't have a wall with a 2500 lb capacity. Only 1000 lb required for the 103". They actually send an installation team before they will ship you one even on the 103", it's included in the price. Woopie