My hard drive is not detected!!

atrain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I've been trying to work on this for a couple days now, but I've gained no ground - this is my first homegrown computer so I was hoping maybe someone else has more experience with this.

I recently got back from vacation and turned my computer on after a week of no use. I noticed one of my case fans was hitting one of my PSU cables so I quickly shut my computer off via the power button - I don't know exactly what point during boot it was, but it was about 3-6 seconds after the computer started up. Anyways, after I moved the cables and booted back up, bios did not recognize my sata2 Seagate 7200.11 500GB hard drive. Boot up ended with a "Boot Disk not found. Insert CD" or so.

I also noticed that my hard drive makes a little bit of a noise - a kind of low soft beep sound - it doesn't necessarily sound mechanical, nor is it a pc speaker type beep.

I reconnected everything, used a new sata cable, the works. My psu is more than enough for my rig, so it's not a power problem I'm sure.

My current theory is that I erased something in the boot sector when I prematurely turned off my computer during the boot sequence. I've reset the CMOS, defaulted the bios, etc. Still doesn't detect the hard drive.

I'm hoping my hard drive isn't broken, although I don't really have super-crucial data on it or anything.

Anyways, here's my computer stats:

Gigabyte X48 DS4
Q9450
2x2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
HD 4870
Seagate 7200.11 500GB
Corsair 750TX PSU

The reason I'm so perplexed is that I did absolutely nothing to my computer besides unplug a case fan and turn off my comp during boot. Absolutely nothing to my hard drive. If anyone has any insights, suggestions, or questions, they are all very welcome.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
You should be able to run a repair from the CD. But first check the BIOS, to see if it even picks up the HDD (if not the HDD is most likley dead). You might have shorted out the HDD, and fried it's PCB.

atrain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I used Seatools, but it didn't even detect a hard drive. BIOS also, does not detect the hard drive. I don't know how I would have shorted the drive because I wore a grounded bracelet and didn't even touch the drive, which makes me think it's a problem with me prematurely turning off the computer. Would that make stuff not work?

*sigh* I hope my drive isn't dead. I only built this computer this summer ('08), so it better not be dead!

G

Do you still have the drive? I had this identical issue and was able to restore drive to 100% working with all data, but you do need some specialized equipment (serial transmitter to the PCB on HDD). It only takes 3 minutes to repair the firmware. If you want to do it yourself, look up HD Doctor for Seagate online or send me a PM