• Hard Drives
  • BIOS
  • Controller
  • PCI
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 30, 2008 3:08:36 PM

I've got an old HP computer with an EIDE hard drive. I'd like to upgrade the EIDE hard drive to SATA. The computer currently runs on Windows 2000. I purchased a SIIG, Inc Serial ATA PCI controller board. I installed the driver and it shows as being successfully installed and working fine.

The manual says the controller cards BIOS will appear every time the system starts up and indicate the devices attached to it. The controller cards BIOS doesn't appear no matter what PCI slot I plug the card into!

Is there something I need to disable or change in the HP BIOS to make the new Serial ATA PCI Controller card BIOS show up?

More about : serial ata pci controller card problems

a b G Storage
December 30, 2008 3:18:56 PM

How old is the computer? Its possible that it won't boot off a pci device.
December 30, 2008 3:23:20 PM

look for an option in the hp bios called scan option roms or similar, and make sure its enabled. that will force the bios to execute the code found in the controllers bios, therefore enabling it fully
Related resources
December 30, 2008 5:21:44 PM

I like to know where I should set the following HP BIOS settings to support this new controller board:

1. PnP-OS:

Selects whether BIOS or Plug And Play system (Windows) configures non-bootable devices. This also affects integrated devices that are set as [Auto]. What setting should I use?

2. Reset Data:

[Select Yes if you want to clear system configuration data]

Should I select Yes or No?

3. PCI Device Slot 1:

Option ROM Scan -> Initializes device expansion ROM. Enable this option if the device is used to boot the operating system. Based on what is posted above I think this needs to be enabled.

4. Bus Master:

Enable this option if you need the BIOS to set the PCI Bus Master bit. This could be necessary for some older PCI accessory boards. Should I enable this option?

5. Bus Latency Timer:

What do Aoh, Coh, Eoh, F8h mean?

6. High Priority:

This option maybe used in order to set a higher priority for this PCI slot. Should I set this to enable or disabled?

7. Quickboot Mode:

Allows the system to skip certain tests while booting. This will decrease the time needed to boot the system. Should I set this to enabled or disabled?

8. Boot Device Priority:

Will the new SIG II Serial ATA PCI controller board ever show up here?

9. Integrated Bus IDE Adaptor:

What setting should I use... Primary Only, Secondary Only, Both Enable, Both Disable?

a b G Storage
December 31, 2008 4:15:55 AM

1: Yes (for Windows)
2) Don't know, (I'd guess no)
3) Yes (make sure your card is in slot 1)
4) Probably not
5) Hex values, try A0h first
6) Probably yes
7) Probably yes
8) If it's configured, probably (should appear as a SCSII device); you might need to power-cycle (after configuring) for the device to appear in the list.
9) These are the on-board IDE channels, leave them enabled; disabling empty channels will (slightly) reduce boot time (turns off device detection) but will prove to be a PItA when you forget they have been disabled.

If this doesn't work, try posting a PC/MoBo model number and see if anyone has access to a BIOS manual.
December 31, 2008 4:00:54 PM

No matter what changes I make I can't get the SIIG, Inc Serial ATA PCI controller board BIOS to show up like they claim it should in their manual.

"The Serial ATA PCI BIOS will appear everytime your system starts up. If the BIOS doesn't show, please install your controller in another PCI slot. During this (Post) process, the bios will show up and indicate the devices attached to it."

I set the HP BIOS to try and boot Windows XP Pro which is installed on this drive and it tries but fails. When I don't boot from the drive with Windows XP on it I can see it. It shows up as a "removable drive".

No luck calling SIIG as they say they are on vacation till after the 4th.

December 31, 2008 5:39:26 PM

sturm said:
How old is the computer? Its possible that it won't boot off a pci device.

How do you know if you can boot off a PCI device without experimenting / trial and error?
a b G Storage
January 2, 2009 5:04:43 AM

Haven't yet seen a PC with PCI that couldn't boot via a PCI card, there *may* be a restriction on which PCI slot(s) support booting or restrictions due to shared resources (DMA channels, IRQ's etc);
booting from and expansion card has been pretty fundamental since the days of ISA slots.

Some form of technical manual for the PC/MotherBoard would certainly help.
January 2, 2009 5:23:51 AM

Don't have a manual. The computer was purchased used from where my wife use to work. How can I make it boot from a PCI card? Can I disable something? I should be able to use a hard drive with XP Pro on it that runs in another machine right? Where can I read up on DMA channels, IRQ's because I don't know what they are.
a b G Storage
January 2, 2009 5:42:51 AM

The short answer is to find the model number of the PC or Motherboard and either post it here or Google it.

If the copy of XP was installed on another PC, you probably would have problems, it would have installed the required drivers for the original hardware; XP really needs to be installed on that PC.
January 2, 2009 2:49:16 PM

It's an HP Vectra VL420 MT. System number P5756T.

Okay on my other hard drive with Windows XP not working. I will get a new hard drive but before I do that I would like to see the BIOS for this PCI to SATA controller card show up like the manual for controller card says it should.
January 3, 2009 12:04:10 PM

It's a tower. The existing HD is IDE. There are no PCI cards fitted... all three PCI slots are empty.

Maybe I should give up on this card and try this ->

http://www.cooldrives.com/sahadradtoid.html

Or try a more expensive solution that I can later use in another computer because now I'm pissed and want to boot from a PCI slot ;>) ->

http://www.promise.com/product/product_detail_eng.asp?p...

I've reviewed all the manuals from the link you posted and found a spec for the HP Vectra Tower PCI bus.

"PCI Bus Interface

• Supports PCI at 33 MHz
• Supports PCI Rev 2.2 Specification
• 133 MB/sec maximum throughput"

The Promise card has a 66 MHz PCI bus. Will a 66 MHz PCI bus controller card work on the HP Vectra 33 MHz PCI bus?

Anonymous
a b α HP
a b G Storage
March 13, 2010 8:41:27 PM

Hello all,
I am facing the same problem now. It is also with an older HP Vectra VL420MT computer.

My situation:
the original HDD (PATA one) crashed one day. So the owner (my friend) asked me for help to make computer working again. It is still usable for internet surfing etc. These days PATA drives are much more expensive and smaller sizes than SATA and also SATA drive can be beter used after future upgrade or in the new computer. That are reasons why I have obtained an KOUWELL KW-571S SATA controler (based also on Promise chip).

What can I say about that is:
1 - Controler is working for sure - both linux and windows installers can see the disk (win after providing F6 driver disk). So I can partition it, format and install operating system. Also I can see installed OS files when booted eg. Slax LiveCD.
2 - The only problem is with booting OS - BIOS (the HP one) can't see the controler card and of course it doesn't provide disks attached on it for booting.

I have tried updating BIOS to version from this forum thread
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionansw...
but even that doesn't work :-(

So please anybody solved this?
a c 127 G Storage
March 13, 2010 8:52:24 PM

Haven't read all, but for storage controllers to be bootable, your motherboard BIOS needs to support INT 13h capture. Sometimes this is a separate option in the BIOS. Basically, it controls whether you will be able to boot from PCI/PCIe controllers or not. Some motherboards do not support 13h and have no option to enable support for it as well; but those are likely older systems.
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b G Storage
March 14, 2010 1:35:14 PM

Ok I have tried to boot from other PCI card (Silicom Image chip) it is an PATA controler and it booted quite well from some spare small 2G PATA drive. Controler extended BIOS was executed (can see the controler menu) and also BIOS feature BOOTING ORDER gave me the option to boot from drive attached to the PCI PATA controler. Int 13h then seems to be working or BIOS uses some other way (think that I have red something about that new BIOSes using some other way while googling).

So it turns me back to that it is an BIOS problem with Promise controlers or with drive size (1TB).

Till now my only idea for solving this is to buy another small size (eg. 40GB) PATA drive and use it for installing OS. Than the 1TB drive can be used as DATA storage.

Anybody suggests another solution?
!