Sign in with
Your question

How to convert my pc secondary hard drive to primary drive

Last response: in Windows Vista
November 7, 2011 8:18:48 AM

Hello,
how can i convert my PC's secondary drive to primary drive? My current primary drive is 29G while the current secondary drive is 260G.
November 7, 2011 10:15:39 AM

Etubom said:
Hello,
how can i convert my PC's secondary drive to primary drive? My current primary drive is 29G while the current secondary drive is 260G.

First you would clone your primary drive to your secondary drive.

Then set the jumper switches on both to represent primary/secondary cable select.

Then reverse their positions on the data cable.
m
l
November 10, 2011 11:33:50 PM

^ that will work technically to make the disk the primary, but will do nothing for your programs.

If you want to start using the larger drive for your OS, programs, etc... you can clone the smaller drive onto the larger. Just make sure that you have all data you want to keep on it saved in another place first. When a drive is imaged, all the existing data is wiped.

Download a program called clonezilla, follow the instructions to create an image of the first drive. Then use the program again to use that image file on the larger drive. You now have the large drive with all the data from the original system drive. Copy your data back onto it after that if you want, or get a new second drive to keep it.
m
l
!