Hi

IDK where to post this

Im going to buy an Asus Rampage Formula do i need more extra motherboard fan for this motherboard?

Im going to use Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Quad will Zalman CNPS-9700NT
do the job in providing cooling in the CPU and will this CPU FAN fit my motherboard?
7 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. This is the number that you want to beat.
    Thermal Resistance: 0.17°C/Watt
    Anything higher is a waste of your money.
    If this number is not given, move along.

Oh by the way this is from the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, $32 retail.

Everyone yells Zalman Zalman Zalman, well guess what I don't find any Thermal Resistance information on thier
    web site or in the coolerss manuals. They are over priced anyways.

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
    Thermal Resistance 0.16°C/Watt
    $44 shipped

$10 for .01 Degrees C/W at best a cooling of 2 Degrees C, to me it's not worth the hassle of install and expense.

Scythe SCINF-1000 120mm CPU Cooler Thermal Resistance unknown price higher than prior units of know capability.

Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler
    Thermal Resistance 0.16 - 0.21 °C / W from web site, $57.58 delivered.
    Again over priced and a pain in the ass installation.

Bang for buck winner here, the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.
    Why bother with anything else?

A post script to the above:

XIGMATEK has a new unit out the Xigmatek Achilles S1284 for $45 before shipping.
    Thermal Resistance 0.14°C/Watt
    This may be the new big boy on the block.
    $52 shipped from;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233017&Tpk=S1284

With installation of the XIGMATEK' being so problematic and almost requiring the extra mounting bracket,
    that costs an extra $10. I would still go for the Freezer 7 Pro.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134
  2. Yes it will work, might not be the best but way better than the stock cooler. And imo, zalman makes the best looking heatsinks
    @bobknight, there may be no therm resistance on the 9700, but there is on the 9500 which is 0.12-0.16C/watt, the 97 is a 95 with heatpipes
  3. Whoops! Meant to say the 9700 is just a 9500 with thicker heatpipes and larger dissapation area
  4. what other alternatives are there?
  5. well as mentioned above, if you wanna go with air cooling

the Xigmatek S1283 and TRUE are the best.

i would go for the Xiggy myself, the 9700 is a very nice looking cooler (thats why i bought it :P) but the fan is noticeably loud when its on full blast. when i turn up the fan settings for the 9700, i hear it louder than all my other fans in my case combined. :T

or you could always go with a phase changing cooler for lower temps and no noise.
  6. @bobbknight: You also have to consider fan CFM and other factors when choosing a HSF not just C/W.

I vote for the XIGMATEK S1283 or a TRUE 120 (lapped).
  7. So true. In Frosty tech, the TRU beats the TRUE because the TRU had a notable more powerful fan.

I also vote for the Xiggy.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Quad Motherboards Overclocking Product