How to format windows 7 without cd

Without CD meaning you don't have a Windows 7 CD? Or Vista? Or that the PC does not have an optical drive? Or what? Need more details as to what you are trying to do.

To "format" means to wipe out the data on the hard-drive and prepare the disk for fresh use again, is that what you are trying to do? You can make a USB key for that if you don't have a CD drive. And you can also create a USB Windows setup as well.

svaldes5

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011

I'm currently running a Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit OS on a Dell Inspiron 1545 and I don't have a Windows 7 CD. Yesterday, out of nowhere, my computer started showing a wsock32.dll error on the majority of my installed programs (Firefox, Avast, iTunes etc.) which led me to believe that I was dealing with a virus.

I would like to format my hard-drive but, I repeat, I don't have a Windows 7 CD. I've already made a backup for all of my important files and have acquired my Windows 7 product key. What should I do next?

Check here, http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_347576&isLegacy=true Full system restore is in step 2.

If for some reason the restore partition does not work, you can contact Dell support for a set of restore disks. They'll probably charge you something for them, should not be more than $30 or so.