Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Unable to use safe mode, can get to repair your computer; crcdisk.sys

Last response: in Windows Vista
Share
November 8, 2011 10:46:25 AM

My laptop Vista system is shut down after the battery and power supply were removed during a live Skype. The message asked me to remove the peripheral camera before starting up again because the camera was still on during shut down. The problem with that is, it's an internal camera. Am trying the dir command at the command prompt, as Ken had advised here earlier.
Is there anything that might be done to disable the internal camera even though I cannot get into safe mode?
Natalie
November 11, 2011 11:20:26 AM

Hi Natalie


Whats the laptop model?
November 11, 2011 2:56:14 PM

nikorr said:
Hi Natalie


Whats the laptop model?




@Nikorr - This is a duplicate post, which I tried helping with last week, and I believe might have been closed.
Related resources
November 11, 2011 8:33:00 PM

ksiemb said:
@Nikorr - This is a duplicate post, which I tried helping with last week, and I believe might have been closed.

I'll check.

Thanx
November 13, 2011 3:31:26 AM

ksiemb said:
@Nikorr - This is a duplicate post, which I tried helping with last week, and I believe might have been closed.


Hi Ken, Im still sweating it out after learning at Best Buy that it will cost as much as a new computer to have them fix my laptop. Cannot find a friend who has a vista installation disk to try. Even the Best Buy Geek Squad thought I should try that. Have decided to try getting the hard drive out and see if my work computer would be able to see files on it, that I could transfer to one of my backup drives.
Any ideas on obtaining a Vista installation disk to test whether that would work?
November 13, 2011 3:38:26 AM

nikorr said:
Hi Natalie


Whats the laptop model?


HP Pavillion dv 6700. Geek Squad thought it might restart right there when we were evaluating it. They didn't recommend that I get it fixed - the cost is pretty high. I'm still concerned about getting my files off of it, and then trying to restore from my backup drive which goes to 5/22/11 (nothing newer than that). Based on a transcontinental move, my backup did not surface until recently and had not been backed up in awhile.
November 13, 2011 4:07:40 AM

namerrill said:
HP Pavillion dv 6700. Geek Squad thought it might restart right there when we were evaluating it. They didn't recommend that I get it fixed - the cost is pretty high. I'm still concerned about getting my files off of it, and then trying to restore from my backup drive which goes to 5/22/11 (nothing newer than that). Based on a transcontinental move, my backup did not surface until recently and had not been backed up in awhile.

Can u remove the hard drive and connect it with another PC?
November 13, 2011 7:28:55 AM

namerrill said:
Hi Ken, Im still sweating it out after learning at Best Buy that it will cost as much as a new computer to have them fix my laptop. Cannot find a friend who has a vista installation disk to try. Even the Best Buy Geek Squad thought I should try that. Have decided to try getting the hard drive out and see if my work computer would be able to see files on it, that I could transfer to one of my backup drives.
Any ideas on obtaining a Vista installation disk to test whether that would work?


HI Natalie: Sorry to hear of the Geek Squad experience. I knew they would be expensive. Couple of more suggestions. I recall you saying you are a little light on the Tech Side ?

1). Is it possible someone at work, might look at the boot.ini file on the hard drive, and remove the reference to "setup or recovery", as it appears to be stuck on that. I recall you did a recovery, but then when you went into safe mode, could get no further than that loop. This may not even work if the restore failed, but worth a try.

2). As a last resort, you could download (at work) and burn and ISO image of a Rescue CD to boot your computer from. Which could allow you to at a minimum copy personal folders/files to your back up drive. A Linux Live Rescue CD will work, and most of the Anti Virus vendors also have a version. Even my backup software (Acronis) provides one, but you have to have Acronis boot recovery already installed. Someone else may have other suggestions in this regard. I know, Nikorr, who also responded is very adept.

If I had a vista CD, would mail one "across the pond ? ", but am using XP..
And, as previously mentioned, removing the drive and hanging it on a PC as a secondary drive would allow you to access your files, provided the drive is readable, and I guess it is because it hangs in that recovery loop.

Ken
November 13, 2011 7:45:45 AM

namerrill said:
HP Pavillion dv 6700. Geek Squad thought it might restart right there when we were evaluating it. They didn't recommend that I get it fixed - the cost is pretty high. I'm still concerned about getting my files off of it, and then trying to restore from my backup drive which goes to 5/22/11 (nothing newer than that). Based on a transcontinental move, my backup did not surface until recently and had not been backed up in awhile.



Worth reading - crcdsk.sys problems. Vista users are mentioning this problem occurring after "Automatic updates". There are some solutions, but alas, require a Vista disk, or at least being able to get to a command prompt.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprov...

(Might be worth changing auto update settings to download & notify you of updates, rather than applying updates, so you can do a backup 1st)
!