Need help accessing Laptop HDD on Desktop

Raliant

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2007
Hey guys, I recently purchased an adapter to access a laptop HDD and allow it to be connected to a 3.5 IDE cable, thinking it'd show up as a disc drive. The problem is, it's not showing up. Did I get the wrong adapter? If I did, what do I need so I can access the data? Thanks.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Do you have the adapter plugged in backwards? Some adapters are not keyed. Do you have the molex power connector on the adapter plugged in? Do you have the drive strapped correctly?

Raliant

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2007
The adapter is keyed (missing one pin in the right place) and I have it plugged in firmly. The two-pin power connector is attached to it for power, and the molex power connector is live and attached. Everything tells me that I should be seeing it as a 3.5" device, but it's not showing.

specirc

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Have you checked whether the drive is showing up in the disk management window (right click My Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management)? If everything else is okay then it's likely it doesn't have a drive letter yet.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Did you check the jumper for master/slave? I suspect it's set as master so it needs to be at the end of the cable, or be strapped properly

Did you check on the BIOS to see if it is recognized. Does it spin up when powered?

Raliant

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2007
It's working! I'm such an idiot. Everything was working properly, but the driver wasn't getting power. Turns out that I had reversed the two-pin power connector, so there wasn't a current.

I'm feeling pretty stupid right now, haha. Thanks for the help, though.