Is my PSU DOA?? (testing help needed)

ajsellaroli

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Hello everyone, I've got a sad story to tell. lol, anyway, here's what happened: I Ordered an Antec Earthwatts 430w psu a couple weeks ago, from newegg. I still don't have the rest of the parts for my build, so I hadn't opened the box yet. Well, today I opened it up, and decided to try it out.

First, I plugged it into the wall, to no response. No fans turned on, no humming, no nothing. Next, I decided to plug one of my fans in. (I have an Antec 900 case). I plugged the power supply into one of the four pin connectors connected to the fan, and the fan did...nothing. No blue led, no spinning.

So, Now, you tell me. Did I test it wrong? is there anything else I should do? or do I have to RMA the poor sucker..and how long does that take?? I sure hope newegg is fast about this sort of thing.....

well, thanks for looking

bob8701

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
DOA? please, the power supply will turn on when mother board -5v pull down to ground.
if you want to make sure psu is working, you need a DMM, a piece wire and a fan.
Unplug the psu form wall socket first.
Locate the green wire on the 20+4 pin connectors, jump the wire form the green wire to any black wire, connect a fan to the 4 pin connectors
plug it into wall socket, flip the back on/off switch, if power supply is good it should be turn on now. you can check voltage by DMM.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Locate the green wire on the 20+4 pin connectors, jump the wire form the green wire to any black wire, connect a fan to the 4 pin connectors
If your PSU is like mine, you may have several black wires, just keep trying different ones if it doesn't work the first time. (Just remember to unplug it before you switch wires... lol)

Anyways, bob's suggestion will tell you whether or not it will work. You can't just plug in a PSU to the wall and flip it on. :)

gow87

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
use the green one and the black one next to it (it might be one slot away) it works everytime. even then some psu's have fans that only spin up when needed. suggest grabbing a multimeter and connecting to the yellow and black to see if theres any current

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
I my experience of PSU's, they have to be 'turned in' via the mobo before it allows any power out. ie plug it into the ATX slot on the mobo etc... before it powers up. So i would say your PSU is fine, just wait till you get rest of your components or plug it into your current comp.