Some questions after building everything.

Khayman7

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
I'm pretty new at system building. My experience is limited to watching and learning as a buddy put together my last system about 8 years ago and then doing a couple of hardware upgrades over the years. So I have a couple of questions. On a positive note I got everything to boot with no problems on the second attempt (missed a power connection hiding under that monster of a mini heatsink). So I consider that a small victory.

1.) Some of the fans have 3 pin connectors that don't reach the board connections. They do however have regular power conncetions also like ata harddrives. They also have a fan connector that only has 1 yellow wire on it. Should I attach this to the motherboard where the fan connectors are supposed to go? What is this part for, monitoring, speed control? This is kind of important because those Scythe 120s are pretty loud but move a ton of air. I would like to slow them down to reduce the noise since I doubt I need that much cooling right now. On that note...

2.) How is my airflow situation. The case is a Cooler Master Stacker 820. Sata Cables and wrapped power supply calbes tucked away if not in use. I have a 120mm on front and top bringing air in. There is a 120mm on the side and rear moving air out. The power supply has a 120mm fan directly over the Scythe Ninja Mini heatsink. Should I flip the powersupply over? Finally I had to go with the 80mm fan on the Ninja Mini due to space considerations, blowing through the heatsink. I ended up not using a 92mm one at all yet but was originally planning on putting it on the heatsink instead of the 80mm.

3.) I know things are differant for everyone but what ballpark temp should my processor cores be at with this setup so far? Processor cores were at 33-32 degrees while installing Windows XP etc... I didn't get to test much else and won't OC until I get some baseline readings.

I'm sure I'll think of more questions but any help on these would be greatly appreciated.

millwright

Distinguished
The best way to test your case cool is to take the sides off of your computer and place a small or large window fan so It blows into the case.
This will show the lowest possible temp you can get with a given ambient temp.

If the temp of your case doesn't go down then your case cooling is as good as it can get

millwright

Distinguished
You can buy extensions for both kinds of plugs.
http://www.svc.com/fan-cable-adapter.html

The three wire have a tachometer wire usually the yellow one.

I'm guessing the single yellow wire is so you can have a tach when using power directly from the power supply via the 4 pin connector. If this is the case then the plug with the single yellow wire should be plugged into the motherboard fan sockets.

On the 4 pin connector fans only use the yellow (12v) and 1 black (ground) the red wire is only 5volts.

Edit; just as a side note, if you want to run a fan slower, you can change the pins on the 4 pin connector so the 5 volt (red) wire powers the fan, or leave the yellow (12v) where it is, and use the red wire (5v) as the ground and you will get 7 volts to run the fan.
That's how we did it before speed controllers.

Edit: My barton 2500 over clocked to 3000 is running 42C today with an ambient temp of 62f, on a hot summer day it will be around 50C. If you let us know what you have, someone can be more specific.

Khayman7

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007

q6600 with a ninja mini heatsink and attached 80mm fan artic silver applied
ga-p35-ds3r mb
2 gig of ocz 800mhz
fans are as stated above.

current temps are core 0-3.......30,30,31,26 respectively or hovering within +-1. Why the big drop in core 4?
prime 95 running put them .......45,45,47,43 again +-1 after about 10 min. I was going to put up more of a stress test in a while.

Which gives more accurate readings of temp, speed fan or coretemp? I'm guessing the latter.

I figured that yellow was a speed monitor thanks!. Now I can see they are both over 3000 rpm. Fan 1-4 speeds are....2419, 3111, 3000, 1230 respectively.