Sign in with
Your question

ASUS motherboards n45 compability

Last response: in Motherboards
February 14, 2008 5:24:59 PM

Hello.

I'm planning on building a new PC and I have selected the ASUS P5K-VM motherboard and the C2D E8400 processor.
I'm wondering... if the motherboard doesn't have the correct bios that supports the new 45nm processors, will it still turn on so I could update the bios?

Thanks.
February 15, 2008 11:42:32 PM

It might but if not, you'll need to borrow a CPU. I'd get a floppy and flash off that
February 17, 2008 2:47:57 PM

Asus has the option to flash off USB.

If i flash the bios using the floppy, do I still need to borrow a cpu?
Related resources
February 17, 2008 3:00:38 PM

enfilade said:
Asus has the option to flash off USB.

If i flash the bios using the floppy, do I still need to borrow a cpu?

From what I've read you can flash some BIOS even though the the updated BIOS is needed to run the CPU but not sure about that board. You could send an E Mail to ASUS but don't know what kind of response you'll get. Check the ASUS forum, should be something on there. The reason I suggested the floppy is that they are always recognized and always work but I'm in the rapidly dwindling minority that still believes in floppies. They're $7, don't take up resources, and don't detract from the appearance.
February 17, 2008 3:03:20 PM

Ya if the board Bios don't support 45nm you will need a 65nm processor to boot to, so you can flash.
February 17, 2008 3:17:45 PM

Go to their website lookup your board and check the supported cpu's for that board.
It does say on there site to update to the latest bios for 45nm CPU.
!