2 hard drives vs 1 big hard drives

kirvinb

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I'm building a new system and im stuck on what kind of hard drive set up I should invest in. I was thinking 2x 640 WD Drives or 1.5 TB Seagate Drive. The price difference is 160 to 130...so 1st nature would lead me to take the single drive since there is more capacity at a cheaper price. But I have been reading that it is wise to have multiple drives. So idk...please help!!

Im a college student and not really a gamer besides some emulation stuff. So value is over performance....But im trying to have my entire DVD collection on here 50+ titles...and im start a Blu Ray collection so I need the space.

Any suggestions...Recommended capacity levels... manufactures....2 hard drives or 2?

Thanks in advance!

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Depends on how important the data is, two drives gives you the option to back-up, one drive doesn't.

WD probably has the edge for reliability and warranty at the moment.
Seagate is in the process of changing it's OEM warranty from 5 to 3 years, retail boxed drives will remain 5 years.

kirvinb

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Well data would be fairly important...but im sure all my music will be backed up on my ipod and my important documents will be backed up either online..flash drives...or my external hard which is 250 gb i should add..

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
They have had some issues with RAID setups, but beyond that the 1.5tb should be ok...

Do you really need over a TB in space when your only storing some DVDs? 1TB WD Black would be a cheaper solution and fast.

kirvinb

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
honestly you may be write...but i was just going by value...130 doesnt seem bad for 1.5 TB...especially consider the egg cheapest 1 TB drive is 99 bucks by samsung...thats 30 bucks for 500 more gbs...seemed pretty cool...but i doubt i ever could figure out how to fill it up...or a 1 tb...

Apeiron242

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Even without RAID, i would lean toward several smaller drives. Because WHEN (not if) the drive crashes, do you want to lose 1TB or 1/2TB? The only downside to having more drives that i can see is power consumption.

The cost per gig will be better on smaller drives.

Do you write with your right hand?