SO HAPPY!!!...until...

Akifuddin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
My HP just arrived 2 days ago and I set it up all by myself, proud! Deleted most bloatware, got security apps, etc. I felt nerdy so I decided to install the new video card. I shut off computer, opened case, put video card in, closed case, and rebooted. TOTALLY BLANK SCREEN~ What does that mean?

Card: ATI RADEON HD2600XT 512MB GDDR3 (@ futureshop it said min, 300 w psu and on the box, 350w) When I opened case, it was a ATX-300 or something, 300W psu and it had 19a on the +12 rail.

Please help! For now I'll ask my sister's friend who said he has experience with this stuff because I don't want to risk the new computer gotten after 7 yrs of using a p3.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Did it come with on-board graphics or another card? Also, does it make any beeps when starting up?

If it came with on-board graphics, use that port on the motherboard to load into Windows.

From there, right-click 'My Computer' => Click 'Properties' => Click 'Hardware' tab => Click 'Device Manager'

Now, look for any yellow "?". That is probably your new graphics card. If you don't see it, click the little monitor with a magnifying glass at the top. That will scan for new hardware. This should say "New Hardware Found" blah blah, just use the Driver CD that came with the card and continue installing.

Shutdown the PC and change the video cable to the card.

Now, boot the computer and enter the BIOS and find something like "Onboard Devices" or "Peripherals". Once there, find the Onboard video and select the "off" or "disable" option.

Finish booting to Windows and you should be good now.

If it was a different card in there before the 2600:

Put that card back in.
Go to the Device Manager (Right-click My Computer, Properties, Hardware Tab)
Expand 'Display Adapters'
Right-click the device(s) there and choose the 'Uninstall' option.
Shut down.
Install the new card and boot up.
Install the new drivers.
Done.

Akifuddin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I had onboard, I was supposed to disable in bios and choose pcie x16, which i did. I'm going to try again, wish me luck! Hard to put in video card, too many wires and i dont want to risk moving them

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Disconnect the cable(DVI) that runs to the monitor from the on board video and place it on the new vid card….lol

Just a thought, I know it seems dumb but never know.

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004

:hello: How true.

Akifuddin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
we have to plug it into the video card? i dont see any slots where it would fit. also, i think the monitor im using right now (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10088900&catid=) uses a vga or something, i connect it to the back of the case. The connector is blue, i have some white connectors though, (unused, came in box) maybe they're dvi?

edit: also, video card came with DVI to VGA Adapter or something, whats that?

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

Wow. Kinda sad, but it sounds like that's actually the problem. I guess the obvious isn't so obvious to some people... :sarcastic:

lcaley

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
That monitor is almost exactly like mine. I'm not sure about yours, but mine came with both a VGA (blue ends) cable and a DVI (white ends) cable in the box. You'll want to use the DVI cable for your new card. If you do that, you won't need the adapters.

Hope this helps.

edit: I just now properly read what you wrote. Yes, the white connector cable is the DVI cable, use that one :D

Akifuddin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I fixed it before you guys posted(Took me 4hrs today just to set up video card, I'm getting used to it though!) but thanks for confirmation, windows experience graphics thing went from 3.4 to 5.4. I got the latest drivers and I'm so happy it runs on the psu! Tomshardware forums rule!

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
actually, if you have onboard, you should just stick with that. I overclocked my Intel 82815 integrated chip and can now play crysis on max at 1680x1050!!!!!!

Just kidding by the way.

First make sure you have adequately powered your card if it requires a separate connection from the power supply. (not sure if this card needs that or not) Second, make sure you have disabled onboard graphics from within bios.