Solved

Why is my Dell 4600 operating at 16 bit?

I am rebuilding a Dell 4600i with 2.8g CPU, 2g ram. 80g hd,dvd drive. After having a time getting the system to boot with windows XP home edition, I now have 2 other issues. one it shows only 16 bit operation, why not 32 or 64bit? Second a short time after booting up the the monitor goes blank, cannot do anything after that. I had to format the HD and reload windows XP
to get the computer to do anything, then it did it again. Help Please.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dell 4600 operating
  1. A bad CPU, memory stick, chipset, motherboard? run it with one stick of memory at a time for starters. But it can be a time consuming process to narrow down a bad piece of hardware.
    What parts did you replace?
  2. ican2k said:
    I am rebuilding a Dell 4600i with 2.8g CPU, 2g ram. 80g hd,dvd drive. After having a time getting the system to boot with windows XP home edition, I now have 2 other issues. one it shows only 16 bit operation, why not 32 or 64bit? Second a short time after booting up the the monitor goes blank, cannot do anything after that. I had to format the HD and reload windows XP
    to get the computer to do anything, then it did it again. Help Please.

What do you mean 16 bit operation? This isn't windows 3.1. It doesn't have a 16 bit mode.

Try explaining what it is actually doing.
  3. soundguruman said:
    A bad CPU, memory stick, chipset, motherboard? run it with one stick of memory at a time for starters. But it can be a time consuming process to narrow down a bad piece of hardware.
    What parts did you replace?

I have replaced the power supply(new) CPU fan and shroud, and installed 2G memory upgrade. I also formatted the hard drive and installed Windows XP with service pack 3.

This unit did not have a power supply, any memory or fan and shroud when i aquired it.
  4. FALC0N said:
    What do you mean 16 bit operation? This isn't windows 3.1. It doesn't have a 16 bit mode.

Try explaining what it is actually doing.

when i try to change the settings for the appearance of the monitor screen it won't change and shows 16 bit. Not sure what that means but is not what I expected to see. The text and icons are very large, is the reason i wanted to change the settings.

The real issue i need to solve first is why the whole thing suts down and is not recoverable even after a reboot.
  5. Best answer
    16 bit colour is the default for a generic VGA graphics card, try installing the graphics card driver.
  6. MrLinux is correct. Likely a driver problem.
  7. Best answer selected by ican2k.
Ask a new question

Read More

Dell HD Windows XP