Sign in with
Your question

Which way to go for quad core upgrade

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 9, 2008 8:26:13 PM

I posted a similair topic last week but didn't get much of a response, most likely because I put it in the wrong section and with few specifics. Anyways I just last week decided to upgrade my CPU/MOBO/RAM after seeing that I could get very good value for my current setup on ebay. Well I'm happy to say that I did quite well. I figured best case for selling my stuff was $600 and worse case would be $400. Here's how I did(doing):

CPU(AMD FX60): $340 - A couple weeks ago I would have thought $300 max, but then i saw several go for $400+. I probably could have gotten more if I had more patience (should have done a 7 or 10 day auction as opposed to 3), but I'm very happy with getting almost 75% of what I originally paid (overpaid) for it.

RAM(2GB OZC Platinum DDR400): ~$100 - This auction is still going on but it's already at $88 with a lot of interest. No real suprise here as I pretty much expected $100 as this RAM is about as good as you can get for DDR and is still very expensive new.

Motherboard(A8N-SLI): ~$90 - This one was the real suprise seeing as this is neither the Premium nor Deluxe version which I saw selling for $80-$100. But somebody grabbed it up at a buy-it-now of $85 plus a little bit of an overcharge on shipping. I actually thought I might of ended up keeping this because it wouldn't sell for much, but thats ebay for you.

So here's what I'm thinking. I want quad core so obviously Intel is the choice. But I have a couple questions and would like some opinions.
1. Get a Q6600 or wait for the new C2Q? Are the new chips really going to be worth the extra money(I'd be buying at release) and/or will there be much of a price drop on the Q6600 when they come out (currently $255 at newegg for OEM and I'm sure it's GO)?

2. Motherboard - P35 seems to be the way to go, but there is an off chance I might want SLI. I've been mostly looking at a Gigabyte DS3L or Asus PK5 E. Is there any 680i board that would be worth taking over these for the 10% chance that I might go SLI (already have 1 8800GTS). Any thoughts on X38/X48?

3. RAM - I'm pretty settled on 4GB(2x2) of OCZ Reaper DDR800 but would it be better to go with 2GB of DDR1066?

4.Cooler - I'm going with an OEM CPU because I plan on overclocking and will get an aftermarket cooler. I don't think I'll need much help here but if anybody has any favorites please suggest. I would really like something fanless/quiet and could possible go water if it gets me much better overclocking.

I have $520(after fees and everything) of essentially free money for my upgrade and no reason not to use it all, but will probably go over. Also I don't care too much about 'future proofing' since I already planned on a complete rebuild later this year and these pieces would go great in my HTPC - all opinions welcome.

More about : quad core upgrade

January 9, 2008 11:54:43 PM

At this point, wait for the new quads if performance means that much to you. If not, buy the Q6600 now. Nehalem will destroy everything and outdate it all when it comes out anyway, so i suppose might as well buy the Q6600 now for cheaper.

P35 if you're going single card gfx (Abit IP35-E overclocked my quad to 3.6 without trying. Solid board and good price)

Got an Xclio 550w (toughpower?) for 90$ that served it well.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 10, 2008 12:30:13 AM

^Agreed. Just get a good motherboard like the P35-DS3x and a E21xx just OC the E21xx for the time being and upgrade once prices fall. Also note that the new "dual core" Celeron E1xxx will be released by Jan. 16th. Also consider adding a good CP cooler if OCing.
January 10, 2008 1:16:36 AM

I'll probably wait atleast until the end of the month. Buying a cheaper cheap then upgrading later might be an option if my 945 board would accept it. But it's a pos Intel board so that ain't happening. Also it would really be hard to justify "upgrading" from a FX60 to one of those chips. Even right now anything thats not Quad Core would not be a huge upgrade from what I had. I know even a Q6600 isn't going to be a massive increase until more apps take advantage of the extra cores.
January 10, 2008 1:39:05 AM

I just upgraded from a FX60 to a Q6600. No regrets there. I you are going to wait on Yorkie pick up 21xx and OC it until you upgrade. As far as the DS3L or GA, in general, great boards but the vdroop on them is quite bit and there isn't an easy way to dampen it like on ASUS. This seems to hurt the quads as they like the volts to OC. It causes problems with the Q6600's OC due to higher bios vcore (and more heat) required to compensate and in stability. My board droops from 1.5v down to 1.424 but then flickers down to 1.412v. Runs good until that happens and then I get an error in prime. If you don't want or need a quad then get in line to grab an 8xxxx chip soon to be released. As you are probably reading they OC like mad even on air.
January 10, 2008 2:16:28 AM

I just wanted to say "SWEET JESUS" at the prices people were paying for your used gear.
January 10, 2008 2:47:32 AM

rodney_ws said:
I just wanted to say "SWEET JESUS" at the prices people were paying for your used gear.

Your telling me. Last month I sold my 8800GTS 640MB (bundled with Bioshock and Crysis) for $320 and then turned around and bought an 8800GTS G92 for $340 w/Crysis (plus being EVGA I now have that full value towards a 9000 series when they come out). I kind of attributed that to people being ignorant of the relative value of that card (a 8800GT is cheaper brand new) or possible somebody looking for SLI. But when I went looking for more RAM I realized that the same stuff I had was selling for (old) barely less then I paid 2 years ago when I bought it new. So I took a look at what FX60s were going for and when I saw $400+ I was kind of shocked seeing as I paid $459 for mine new. I guess there are a lot of people still holding on to there 939 systems. I figured just selling the CPU and RAM would be enough for a nice upgrade, but when I actaully sold the motherboard for $95 and got instant payment I almost crapped myself. So basically by the end of this month I'll have ended up upgrading my CPU, motherboard, RAM and video card all for less then $100(mostly the ebay fees, shipping, paypal fees etc). Not too bad. Actaully I've gotten pretty good at doing this. Last year I upgrade from an AMD 3700+ and (2)7900GT SLI to the FX60 and 8800GTS + Windows Vista Ultimate.

Well back to the topic, when are the new quad cores coming out? I thought I heard 1/20/08. If so would it be wise to wait for these?
January 10, 2008 2:55:51 AM

The New Quads will likely not be out until March.

The 20th will be the Dual Core Penryn.
Intel is only stating Q1 for the Quads.

I just don't see the other chips shipping only a couple weeks later.
I would just jump on the Q6600 if you want a Quad.

If you are a Gamer, get the new Duals.
They will be the Quads for gaming now.

A year from now, even the new quads will look silly against the Nehalm.
January 10, 2008 3:04:12 AM

zenmaster said:
The New Quads will likely not be out until March.

The 20th will be the Dual Core Penryn.
Intel is only stating Q1 for the Quads.

I just don't see the other chips shipping only a couple weeks later.
I would just jump on the Q6600 if you want a Quad.

If you are a Gamer, get the new Duals.
They will be the Quads for gaming now.

A year from now, even the new quads will look silly against the Nehalm.

Thanks for that info. I've seen info stating Jan. 20th, but nothing legit so I was pretty skeptical. I think I'm leaning towards the Q6600 a little more. I do game but I don't think I'll be "suffering" with a quad, plus I also do media, programming and design types of things. I'm going to look into the dual cores a little more to see what kind of added performance they may have. 10%-20%, meh? 30%+ definitly worth thinking about. BTW I'll definitly be overclocking, so what kind of difference can I expect with dual vs quad overclocked?
January 10, 2008 5:38:17 AM

also keep in mind they wont be as cheap as the Q6600's now..

expect them to be atleast $150~200 more when they are released, so you have to wait again for the price to drop if on a tight budget
!