Sign in with
Your question

Can't boot from HDD or CD

Last response: in Windows XP
June 12, 2010 6:31:39 PM

Hi,
I'm attempting to install Windows XP on a new build. I got through the first part of the installation until it restarts my computer, at which point it just went back to the beginning of the process instead of continuing the installation. I figured the problem was that it kept booting from the CD, so I changed the boot order to boot from the hard drive first. Doing this just brought up the "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" message. I switched the boot order back so that it will boot from CD first, but it still gives me the same message. Any idea what's wrong?

More about : boot hdd

June 12, 2010 11:32:47 PM

mPiedlourde said:
Hi,
I'm attempting to install Windows XP on a new build. I got through the first part of the installation until it restarts my computer, at which point it just went back to the beginning of the process instead of continuing the installation. I figured the problem was that it kept booting from the CD, so I changed the boot order to boot from the hard drive first. Doing this just brought up the "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" message. I switched the boot order back so that it will boot from CD first, but it still gives me the same message. Any idea what's wrong?

If you are booting and installing Windows from a genuine Microsoft CD, there is a requirement to press any key to boot from CD, otherwise it will time-out in about 5 seconds and boot from the mainboard BIOS-selected second boot device.

You can therefore leave boot from CD as the first boot device and the the proper hard drive selected as the second boot device.
m
l
!