Sign in with
Your question

IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound....

Last response: in Overclocking
July 9, 2008 7:31:32 AM

from everything I'm reading from reviews it is Far superior to Arctic 5silver or ceramic.

just curious who here uses it? i understand the physics behind it and even the applying method.

i want to slap the people i see posting in other forums talking about mixing it with other pastes or trying to "spread" it. Diamonds even in particle form when slowly pressed will Cut into whatever is pressing against it forming a very tight sealed bond. why im assuming it does so well that + its high conduction.

im thinking of getting some to test out. if it works well enough ill probly put it on over the stock stuff on the GPU heatsink aswell.

anyhow those of you who use it what kind of temp drops did you see?
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2008 6:52:51 PM

Why diamond? Silver is the #1 at transferring heat. Followed by copper, and a few other metals. Diamond is mostly carbon (it is carbon). I haven't used this paste yet since I have a pretty big stock of AS5 (6 tubes).
July 9, 2008 6:57:05 PM

Diamond's thermal conductivity is way higher than silver(about 2~5 times)
It IS the best material for heat conduction. Just too expensive for consumer application

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_conductivity

Shadow703793 said:
Why diamond? Silver is the #1 at transferring heat. Followed by copper, and a few other metals. Diamond is mostly carbon (it is carbon). I haven't used this paste yet since I have a pretty big stock of AS5 (6 tubes).

Related resources
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2008 7:01:39 PM

I stand corrected.
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2008 7:03:48 PM

Question: Why not make carbon nano-tube based thermal compound? After all it should be cheaper(?) and better(?) since diamond, after all is made up of carbon.
July 10, 2008 12:38:21 AM

I think it is the crystal lattice of Diamond make it so special for thermal conduction, not the carbon element.
For example, the thermal conductivity of graphite is 25-470 W/m.K, much smaller compared to diamond(900 - 2320)
a c 239 K Overclocking
November 25, 2013 5:15:34 AM

Thermal compounds only purpose is to fill the microscopic imperfections between the two contacting surfaces to conduct the heat created from the operation of the CPU, any compound creating a complete particulate layer is not going to be as effective.

We see so many arguments over this compound vs that compound when what is most important is the conduction and the viscosity of the compound does it allow filling the imperfections only, or is it creating an insulating layer.

You can run a heat sink without thermal compound at all, but the microscopic imperfections will be filled with air, and air is a poor heat conductor but a very good heat insulator, so the very small amount of air needs to be replaced with a thermal conductor.

IC Diamond contains 92% micronized synthetic diamond particles and Artic Silver 5 contains three unique shapes and sizes of pure silver particles to maximize particle-to-particle contact area and thermal transfer, but both will be more than actually needed in the end, as they both form a layer.

You can argue this all you want but the diamond particles will not disappear, and part of the reason Artic Silver 5 takes so long to fully cure is the silver particles have to interlock by heating and cooling.

I personally would not use either one of them as the hype and reviews covering each product are basically lame when you actually understand what is needed under your heat sink, less is best, any way you look at it!

You do not need a thermal compound that forms a particulate layer, you need a thermal compound that only fills the microscopic imperfections!

That is of course if you are after the absolute best cooling performance you can achieve!

Which requires seating, removal, inspection of the thermal footprint, and reseating your heat sink so you know exactly what's going on under it!

If you don't do that you may as well just settle for the meltable thermal compound that comes on most stock coolers, because they are assured to leave you an insulating layer behind.

Honestly if you have not learned this by now, Good Luck!
!