AMD 5000+ Black Edition or something else?

cusimar9

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Hi all,

I'm just after some advice on a new system really. My current setup is in desperate need of an upgrade. I use it mainly for surfing the web and watching movies, but I really would love a responsive computer and anything I could do to speed it up would be something I'd consider.

However I REALLY don't want to spend a lot, so I'm looking around for a processor I could overclock easily but won't cost a bomb. I was intrigued about the review of the AMD 5000+ Black Edition, which is in my price range. However, I'm not daft, and I don't want to get that if I could get something substantially better for just a few quid more. I know the E6550 can be had for just over £100 now and given its overclocking abilities maybe I should go for that? From what I've read the advantages of splashing out on a quad core setup won't really be apparent for a little while longer while developers continue to optimise their software.

Another thing... given I want the maximum system responsiveness what RAM should I go for, and would the AMD option limit me at all?

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
If you are going to OC, you better go for an Intel solution.

If you're a diehard AMD fan, the 5000+ BE isn't to bad...

If you want to OC tons for less money, the E2160 is excellent. Most of them can OC to 3.2GHz.

For ram, any 800MHz ram should do fine for 400MHz fsb or lower. Otherwise Crucial ram is excellent for OCing.

cusimar9

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Fantastic that's exactly the tip I was looking for, that E2160 looks like a bargain!

Sorry I'm being dim but... would I overclock this just by raising the FSB? (presuming it has a locked multiplier) What would the processor and memory be running at with a 400mhz FSB?

I do want to overclock it but I don't want fans running at 10,000rpm! More of a mild overclock I'd say. I keep my system running 24hrs usually...

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

There is a great guide on OCing in the OCing section.

Read it carefully. To answer your question, yess all you do is raise the fsb and voltages.

At 400MHz FSB using a 9x multiplier, the CPU speed would be 400MHz x 9 = 3600MHz, which is entirely possible with a good air cooler.

cusimar9

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Thanks, the E8400 looks great but at double the price it doesn't offer double the performance does it. I think a good budget dual core will do me fine, just wanted clarification on which.

Spirer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
One thing to consider is that with an unlocked multiplier you can OC without stressing Mobo and RAM. Also Intel boards tend to be a bit more costly than AMD ones...

Since you guys are suggesting the CPU, I think it would be really nice if you also posted the Mobos and RAM that he can use to guarantee it will work, keeping it on the budget side.

Unlocked multipliers are also much easier to OC and allow more possible configurations, ofc.

I think that a fairly cheap AM2 mobo and some cheap DDR-800 RAM, together with a 5000+ BE is a good combo.
To be honest, he could even just buy a 3800 or a 4000.

If you don't use games or heavy applications it really doesn't matter much when you go past 2GHz dual core.

cusimar9

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
My current setup is an Athlon XP 2800 with 1GB RAM, running Vista. Needless to say it runs slooooooooooooooow.

Just need an upgrade that will last me a few more years.

I'm intrigued about that Intel E2160 though. I've read a few websites saying it'll easily overclock to over 3Ghz, and by the sounds of it it would give me more performance per £ than the AMD 5000+.

I'm sure I'll be happy with the performance of either setup to be honest...

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
DFI Blood Iron, E2160, DDR2-667 = 3.0 GHz without overclocking the RAM.

To Spirer: Learn to OC Intel before you comment.

If you want over 3.0 GHz you'll need DDR2-800. The Blood Iron is $110 and is a great board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161183

I'd also suggest an Arctic Silver Freezer Pro 7 for the Cooling.

$110+$80+$80+$25 = Board, 4 GB Ram, CPU. $295

Someone want to suggest a comparable AMD Setup?

I had a Blood Iron, it is insane at overclocking and has a ton of BIOS Options. I think it's the best budget board out there. (Only reason I moved to a P5K-E is better quad core support at high OCs. Blood Iron was fine for a 3.2 GHz Quad Core, but I wanted more).

Edit: You'd be happy with either, and if you went AMD you'd never notice because you've never had a Core 2 that was OC'd. I can't go back to AMD til they get their act together.. C2Q at 3.6 GHz is just too awesome.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Yeah, the E2160 is a good budget overclocker. 3GHz overclocks are pretty common. The X2 5000+ BE is not a bad choice for an AM2 upgrader but if you are building from scratch the E21x0 line is the best choice for the overclocker.

cusimar9

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
That's great, that's what I'll go for then. I've read that there's not much point getting 4GB RAM as Vista 32bit will only be able to address about 3GB's worth...

Could 2 x 1GB and 2 x 512MB sticks?

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
The Freezre Pro is a good cooler, I have one, but for a simple OC to 3.0 Ghz, he likely does not even need that.

If he really wanted to push the CPU to something like 3.3 or 3.4 Ghzm, he might want to get that.

I know XBITLabs had their E2160 @ 3.4 Ghz on the stock cooler, though I suspect it was likely revving pretty good at those speeds and a little noisy.

If looking for a very quiet setup or needing the max push, go for the Freezer 7. If you are trying to just get buy with as little funds as possible you can still do good with it's stock cooler.

cusimar9

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
I bought an 'upgraded' copper cooler with a pretty quiet fan a few years back, I assume its still better than a standard cooler...

perzy

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Are you sure you want to build a system that you overclock at start?
I see overclocking as a way to extend the useful life of my components, but for a fresh build?

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

We buy budget and then OC them to levels that were expensive. That's the point (in my mind) of overclocking.

My 2.4 GHz Q6600. It would get trashed in games by a 3.0 GHz E6850. But right now it's sitting on 3.6 GHz.

To the OP: Life time might go down to 4-5 years of 24/7 usage (depending on voltage and load usage).

As far as RAM, I'd just get a 4 GB kit and let it address all it can. Two sticks are easier to cool than 4.

perzy

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007

No, the lifttime is no problem for a cpu, but your are overclocking the mobo and such which has a potential for unstability.
I personally dont want that for a fresh build.

I want to run everything stable as it supposed to be and resort to oc as a way to extend the life of graphics card, cpu's and such.

I want everything stable and silent first and foremost.

cusimar9

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Well I must admit that's what I've done in the past but from all I've read about overclocking these days there don't seem to be any problems.

I'm not too worried about instability, if there's a problem I can just reduce the overclock. I am however worried about the lifetime of the components and if the processor / graphics card / memory / mobo were to have an unreasonable lifetime of, say, under 2 years then I'd reconsider. But as far as I am aware this is not the case.

Also I wouldn't overclock to the theoretical maximum. If the E2160 could be clocked at 3.2GHz then I'd probably clock it at 2.8GHz or thereabouts.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Has anybody said that he'll need a new motherboard going from an xp to a black edition x2? plus ram and maybe video card?

Sorry if anybody has im just skimming the posts.

If he'll need a new mobo then Id say go for a good quality intel board and a conro with 4mb cache as a starter. I got a p5b deluxe, and e6300 and zalman 9500, couldnt' be happier with that combo bought nov 2006, well yes i could lol

cusimar9

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Yes I'll be upgrading the mobo and graphics card too, though the graphics card will be very budget as I don't need anything fancy.

I've been reading up further and have a couple more questions.

If I went for an E2xxx CPU would I be better going with the E2140 (which THG did a feature on) or spending just a few quid more and going for the E2180, on the basis that the different multiplier will put less strain on other components? Or maybe the E2160 as suggested would be a good compromise?

My other question is regarding memory over CPU. I could go for 2GB RAM and with the money I save get an E6550, with its 4MB L2 Cache. Or I could get 4GB RAM and an E2xxx. Opinions?

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Dont get 4gb if your not even going to use it all. 1st you need a 64 bit OS, then you actually have to use it. If your not running apps/multiple apps that actually use up the memory then dont get it. There is no need for 4GB of ram if the user/machine never really uses more then 2GB

As far as which E21*0 series to go with, I would go with the 80 because of the higher multi.

Even a stock E2 series CPU will be more then enuff to browse the interent/watch movies and also just have a general snappy system. So will the AMD X2's

For what you want your system to do, 2Gb of ram sounds like plenty. The E2 series will do just fine stock or overclocked. Same goes for a X2. I would go with the intel myself. Just because they OC alot higher and can beat or hang with the fastest AMD dual core cpu once they are OC'd.