Chess Gator

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
Hello, :hello:

What is the best 1,000 WATT power supply? Price, Quality, Quietness, Cooling.... Any reviews to support your choice?

Thank you,

Chess Gator :)

JuiceJones

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
I take it you're going to run Tri-SLI with multiple hardrives and everything highly overclocked etc. and so on?

Cause if not, the best 1000W power supply is a 750w or 800w one.

JuiceJones

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
The Enermax Galaxy 1000W PSU is reguarded as one of the most stable, reliable powerful power supply on Tomswiki. "Tier 1 Brands The Most Powerful And Stable Components On The Market", stated by Tomswiki. I wish I had gone for the Enermax Galaxy 1000W instead of the Enermax Infiniti 720W PSU. :(

http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings?t=anon

http://www.guru3d.com/article/psu/368/

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=310

20073211633282916yx9.jpg

By systemlord at 2008-01-17

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

I saw a review of Triple-SLI with 3 8800GTX GPUs and the total system Power Usage peaked at 680w.
So, Yeah. A 1000w CPU is likely NOT the correct choice.

Buy.Com has the Corsair 750w for $120 which is a great deal.

sailer

Splendid

Because the normal tier listing contain all PSUs in a rating from one to five, with a couple sub-ratings. Jonny's tier list is a breakdown of the top PSUs only. Thus a Thermaltake Toughpower 750wt, to which Jonny gave his seal of approval, only gets rated as a tier 4 PSU, instead of a tier 2 as it does on normal listings. Personally, I think Jonny's tier list is not all that useful because it is unrealistic. It can also be noted that Jonny only lists the PC P&C 750 Silencer as a tier 3 PSU, which I think most people would disagree with.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I prefer Jonny's list because unlike the other lists, he actually has likely personally examined most of the PSUs and goes into extenstive detail.

And I don't think the Tier-3 rationg is off for the PCP&C, at least not based upon the reviews I have read. That seems about right.

Remember, you can't look at his tiers like the tiers on the other list since longer lists lump more things together.

I find the Tom's List has too many PSUs listed just by name and not exact model. The master list is primarily maintained by people who don't do the extensive testing that Jonny does.

Also, I don't think it's really an unrealistic list.
I don't really see a point of buying any PSU that is not on that list.

The Antec Earthwatts rounds up the bottom tier of quality PSUs.
I do not see any reason to go lower than that.

bob8701

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
"I think Jonny's tier list is not all that useful because it is unrealistic'
Are you kidding me, did you actually read his report, his rating is base on the test, and he has all the test equipment, and another list is base on what? that report needs update, you want to understand why Thermaltake Toughpower 750w is good? TT does not make their psu, they select OEM factory to make for them. it used to be top power design and now it is cwt, you know who is CWT, they built corsair 750w.
pc p&P used make psu in usa, now they let seasonic make for them.

jonny tested the power supply and gave rating

sailer

Splendid
I'm not arguing whether Jonny tested the PSUs or not. My point is that if he puts a PSU that he gave a high rating to as a tier 4, then where do the really bad PSUs fit, given that there are usually only five tier ratings on most charts, along with a couple subcatagories? As for the TT Toughpower 750wt, Jonny rated that one as a 9 and gave it his seal of approval. You can find that here on page 3:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=7

Further, he downgraded the TT 750wt on its looks. I mean, I really don't care how the thing looks. Its hidden away in the computer where I never look at it. I care about how it performs and functions, which he graded as a 9.5 for performance and a 9 for function. It could be noted if you read through his reviews, he graded the PC P&C 750wt Silencer as having the same total score, despite the fact that the PC P&C got a great score for looks. By way of comparrison, Jonny rated the PC P&C as an 8.5 for performance, but a 9 for looks, which to me means that the PC P&C didn't perform as well as the TT Toughpower 750wt, being lower in performance by one point. Yet on his tier chart, he rates the TT Toughpower 750wt as tier 4, while the PC P&C 750wt Silencer is a tier 3.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree with Jonny's tier rating. I'd rather have a TT Toughpower 750wt that he rated as a 9.5 for performance than a PC P&C Silencer 750wt that he rated as a 8.5 for performance.

TRENDING THREADS