Buying a barebones need help with Harddrive!

loza04

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Ok I'm buying This barebones PC and i need to buy a hard drive..(this is my first time doing any of this) and i don't know what one to buy? there's IDE Hard Drives and Serial ATA Hard Drives but which one? do they all fit? I don't want to buy one that doesn't work with my PC! thanks

michaelt84

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
It depends on what the motherboard will support. IDE hard drives are older and are being replaced by SATA (serial ATA) drives. If the motherboard will support SATA, you should go with that ... cabling is much easier.

All modern mb's support SATA and this is a better faster technology. Read the spec's of your mb to see what connectors it has before you buy .

Right now I would NOT buy a seagate 7200.11 series hdd . They are very fast but far too many have problems . If you check the newegg user reviews for the 640 gig 7200.11 for the last two weeks 61% of reviewers said the drive was poor or very poor . Lots of them didnt run at all .

For performance the safe option is western digital BLACK series .

If the highest possible performance isnt an issue then WD blue , or Samsung F1 are a little slower and a fair bit cheaper.

Theres usually an advantage in 320/ 640/ 1 terabyte drives . These sizes tend to have platters [ discs ] of 335 gb . This is the most data anyone is fitting on a single disc which means its tightly packed and can be read faster
A 500 gb hdd will have two discs of 250 gb so not so densely stored , and a little slower .