Sign in with
Your question

PNP doesn't detect correct display

Last response: in Windows XP
June 12, 2010 10:22:39 PM

I have a Westinghouse 22"lcd (LCM-22w3) that is detected by pnp as an Acer 17" (AL1714). This screws up the native resolution on the 22" and I have to force it to 1680x1050 after every boot up. I have tried this monitor on XP and Win7 (dual boot on separate HD) (a dell E510 w/bios updated) and get the same results. I also tried it on a Toshiba laptop (XP); again pnp detecting it as an Acer. There are no drivers for the monitor from westinghouse because it's pnp. I have updated XP to all the latest updates and also my graphic card (ATI radeon) to the latest drivers. Westinghouse says problem is a Microsoft glitch. Microsoft says they can fix it gaurenteed for 1 yr for $140, I told them I'd get a new monitor. Anyone know where the problem lies.
June 12, 2010 10:55:06 PM

Control Panel>Display>Settings>Advanced>Monitor> Un-Check "Automatically Detect Plug and Play Monitors"
m
l
June 12, 2010 11:59:02 PM

doesn't change the problem
m
l
Related resources
June 13, 2010 12:04:36 AM

fa28 said:
doesn't change the problem

Did you uninstall the bum driver?

Control Panel>Display>Settings>Advanced>Monitor>properties>driver>uninstall?
m
l
June 13, 2010 12:32:14 AM

just did. the driver is a generic pnp microsoft driver. there are no drivers for this monitor. Most monitor doen't come with drivers you just plug them in and the are detected by PNP and work.
m
l
June 13, 2010 1:45:31 AM

start-->control panel-->system-->device manager-->right click and uninstall the monitor-->restart.
m
l
June 13, 2010 2:28:47 AM

uninstalled it from device manager, no change. still detects the 22" as a 17".
I found a referance to the 17" acer (AL1714) in the registry that I can't delete even in safe mode-admin. I think the PNP references in the registry may be the cause , but not sure exactly how pnp actually works to identify hardware.
m
l
June 13, 2010 6:15:01 AM

fa28 said:
uninstalled it from device manager, no change. still detects the 22" as a 17".
I found a referance to the 17" acer (AL1714) in the registry that I can't delete even in safe mode-admin. I think the PNP references in the registry may be the cause , but not sure exactly how pnp actually works to identify hardware.

Here's a program that might be able to delete it.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb89744...
m
l
December 12, 2010 2:07:09 PM

I have found a solution for some. If you have a DVI port on your video use it. The lcm-22w3 detects correctly when a DVI cord is used. The deeper problem is in the PNP detection on the SVGA port. My monitor would only detect as a AL1714 on my desktop, on my laptop and on a new desktop at Office Depot. All running W7. It would detect correctly on an old XP machine. I found DVI cords on eBay for less than $5.

By the way... I tried updates, old video card drivers, rewriting the monitor driver and none of it worked for me.
m
l
!