PNP doesn't detect correct display

I have a Westinghouse 22"lcd (LCM-22w3) that is detected by pnp as an Acer 17" (AL1714). This screws up the native resolution on the 22" and I have to force it to 1680x1050 after every boot up. I have tried this monitor on XP and Win7 (dual boot on separate HD) (a dell E510 w/bios updated) and get the same results. I also tried it on a Toshiba laptop (XP); again pnp detecting it as an Acer. There are no drivers for the monitor from westinghouse because it's pnp. I have updated XP to all the latest updates and also my graphic card (ATI radeon) to the latest drivers. Westinghouse says problem is a Microsoft glitch. Microsoft says they can fix it gaurenteed for 1 yr for $140, I told them I'd get a new monitor. Anyone know where the problem lies.
8 answers Last reply
More about doesn detect correct display
  1. Control Panel>Display>Settings>Advanced>Monitor> Un-Check "Automatically Detect Plug and Play Monitors"
  2. doesn't change the problem
  3. fa28 said:
    doesn't change the problem

Did you uninstall the bum driver?

Control Panel>Display>Settings>Advanced>Monitor>properties>driver>uninstall?
  4. just did. the driver is a generic pnp microsoft driver. there are no drivers for this monitor. Most monitor doen't come with drivers you just plug them in and the are detected by PNP and work.
  5. start-->control panel-->system-->device manager-->right click and uninstall the monitor-->restart.
  6. uninstalled it from device manager, no change. still detects the 22" as a 17".
    I found a referance to the 17" acer (AL1714) in the registry that I can't delete even in safe mode-admin. I think the PNP references in the registry may be the cause , but not sure exactly how pnp actually works to identify hardware.
  7. fa28 said:
    uninstalled it from device manager, no change. still detects the 22" as a 17".
    I found a referance to the 17" acer (AL1714) in the registry that I can't delete even in safe mode-admin. I think the PNP references in the registry may be the cause , but not sure exactly how pnp actually works to identify hardware.

Here's a program that might be able to delete it.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897448.aspx
  8. I have found a solution for some. If you have a DVI port on your video use it. The lcm-22w3 detects correctly when a DVI cord is used. The deeper problem is in the PNP detection on the SVGA port. My monitor would only detect as a AL1714 on my desktop, on my laptop and on a new desktop at Office Depot. All running W7. It would detect correctly on an old XP machine. I found DVI cords on eBay for less than $5.

By the way... I tried updates, old video card drivers, rewriting the monitor driver and none of it worked for me.
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Westinghouse Windows XP