Trouble with Thermalright HR-03 GT

Shemhazai

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Ok I just bought a Thermalright HR-03 GT :sol:
I removed the stock HSF on my reference 8600gts, removed thermal pad stuff and used arcticlean 1+2 following website instructions to the letter, then applied arctic silver 5.
Fitted the heatsink and checked my temps when running 4d apps and am still getting temps of 80c :??: (didn't let it get any higher because it didn't on stock).
I am worried about this because:
1) This is supposed to be able to run passively (safely)
2) I can't plug in the 92mm fan onto my gfx card fan socket and there are no compatible/free fan sockets on my BTX (damn you dell) mobo.

Any suggestions?
And is there any way I can put the wires into a molex plug from my PSU?

Shemhazai

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Also in case you're wondering why I put this cooler (which I personally find excessive) on this card, it's because I'm upgrading soon and will put it on the new card.

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Solder the wires into a standard molex connector, the fan will run full speed though unless you connect the 12v line on the fan to the 5v line on the molex

Shemhazai

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Alright I fitted the fan, not as noisy as I thought it'd be but my load temps are down to 49 max when overclocked :na: OMG. So pretty good then. I think its helping my cpu temps because the fan on the vga cooler is just underneath the exhaust for the BTX box cooler, and temps have dropped a couple of degrees when under load from Prime 95