StarCraft CD won't run

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

I am trying to install StarCraft on a Win XP SP2 machine but CD won't
autorun nor am I able to run the Setup or Install file......
any help will be apperciated.
9 answers Last reply
More about starcraft
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

    Does an error message pop up? or nothing?
    Does the cd work on any other computers?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

    I just had a similar problem. As a result of the new 1.12 patch, I had to
    reinstall SC/BW. Many others have reported a similar situation where you
    have to delete and then reinstall the game due to map related errors - but I
    digress. When trying to reinstall SC/BW, I could not get it to work.

    I turned off all my various protections and it loaded fine. These
    "protections" included ad-aware, Zone Alarm firewall, Norton AV, etc.

    G'day,

    Jim

    "benfranklyn" <someone@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I am trying to install StarCraft on a Win XP SP2 machine but CD won't
    > autorun nor am I able to run the Setup or Install file......
    > any help will be apperciated.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

    All machines are Win XP sp2 and no error messg....the cd rom spins with
    activity but nothing appears on screen.

    "cheesydud" <chewydud9u@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Does an error message pop up? or nothing?
    > Does the cd work on any other computers?

  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

    > All machines are Win XP sp2 and no error messg....the cd rom spins with
    > activity but nothing appears on screen.

    Um. Perhaps the CD is bad. Try another CD - if it works, copy that CD.
    (But of course keep using your own CD-Key)

    -LTP

    :)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

    "Jim Young" <jim.youngspammenot@chartermi.net> wrote in message
    > I just had a similar problem. As a result of the new 1.12 patch, I had to
    > reinstall SC/BW. Many others have reported a similar situation where you
    > have to delete and then reinstall the game due to map related errors - but
    > digress. When trying to reinstall SC/BW, I could not get it to work.
    >
    > I turned off all my various protections and it loaded fine. These
    > "protections" included ad-aware, Zone Alarm firewall, Norton AV, etc.

    Norton firewall and Zone Alarm firewall seem to kill SC - and no one knows
    why.

    I have heard some people report that installing the IPX protocol (even if
    you don't use it) fixes the problem and allows SC to be loaded normally.

    --
    LTP

    When the llama speaks you listen. Unfortunately the llama hasn't spoken
    yet.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

    Luc The Perverse wrote:

    > Norton firewall and Zone Alarm firewall seem to kill SC - and no one knows
    > why.
    >
    > I have heard some people report that installing the IPX protocol (even if
    > you don't use it) fixes the problem and allows SC to be loaded normally.

    It's an interesting problem. It's one that I posted a little while back.
    It's not that SC doesn't load, it's that it takes an incredibly long
    time to do it. Go away for 5 minutes and the installation screen will be
    waiting for you. The problem seems to be with the way the installer
    interacts with windows. It also makes playing the game problematic as it
    tries to autorun the installer when you put the disk in meaning that
    even if you can get it installed you're still going to run into problems
    unless you disable autoplay.

    I tried installing IPX, it did seem to cut the process down from 2
    minutes to about 30 seconds for it to read. Haven't tried it on my
    notebook yet which is running SP2.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

    "Spyderizer" <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:421a5906$1@clear.net.nz...
    > Luc The Perverse wrote:
    > >

    > > Norton firewall and Zone Alarm firewall seem to kill SC - and no one
    knows
    > > why.
    > >
    > > I have heard some people report that installing the IPX protocol (even
    if
    > > you don't use it) fixes the problem and allows SC to be loaded normally.
    >
    > It's an interesting problem. It's one that I posted a little while back.
    > It's not that SC doesn't load, it's that it takes an incredibly long
    > time to do it. Go away for 5 minutes and the installation screen will be
    > waiting for you. The problem seems to be with the way the installer
    > interacts with windows. It also makes playing the game problematic as it
    > tries to autorun the installer when you put the disk in meaning that
    > even if you can get it installed you're still going to run into problems
    > unless you disable autoplay.
    >
    > I tried installing IPX, it did seem to cut the process down from 2
    > minutes to about 30 seconds for it to read. Haven't tried it on my
    > notebook yet which is running SP2.

    I say it's a bug and therefore has a solution if blizzard would get off
    their butts and fix it.

    --
    LTP

    When the llama speaks you listen. Unfortunately the llama hasn't spoken
    yet.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

    Thanks for the help guys......
    I did disable all auto load programs with msconfig and the game installed
    without problems....
    Thanks again

    "Luc The Perverse" <sll_NOSPAM_zm@remove.cc.usu.edu> wrote in message
    > "Spyderizer" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
    >> Luc The Perverse wrote:
    >> >

    >> > Norton firewall and Zone Alarm firewall seem to kill SC - and no one
    > knows
    >> > why.
    >> >
    >> > I have heard some people report that installing the IPX protocol (even
    > if
    >> > you don't use it) fixes the problem and allows SC to be loaded
    >> > normally.
    >>
    >> It's an interesting problem. It's one that I posted a little while back.
    >> It's not that SC doesn't load, it's that it takes an incredibly long
    >> time to do it. Go away for 5 minutes and the installation screen will be
    >> waiting for you. The problem seems to be with the way the installer
    >> interacts with windows. It also makes playing the game problematic as it
    >> tries to autorun the installer when you put the disk in meaning that
    >> even if you can get it installed you're still going to run into problems
    >> unless you disable autoplay.
    >>
    >> I tried installing IPX, it did seem to cut the process down from 2
    >> minutes to about 30 seconds for it to read. Haven't tried it on my
    >> notebook yet which is running SP2.
    >
    > I say it's a bug and therefore has a solution if blizzard would get off
    > their butts and fix it.
    >
    > --
    > LTP
    >
    > When the llama speaks you listen. Unfortunately the llama hasn't spoken
    > yet.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

    > Thanks for the help guys......
    > I did disable all auto load programs with msconfig and the game installed
    > without problems....
    > Thanks again

    No problem!

    --
    LTP

    When the llama speaks you listen. Unfortunately the llama hasn't spoken
    yet.

CD-Rom Starcraft Video Games