Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

I am trying to install StarCraft on a Win XP SP2 machine but CD won't
autorun nor am I able to run the Setup or Install file......
any help will be apperciated.

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

Does an error message pop up? or nothing?
Does the cd work on any other computers?

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

I just had a similar problem. As a result of the new 1.12 patch, I had to
reinstall SC/BW. Many others have reported a similar situation where you
have to delete and then reinstall the game due to map related errors - but I
digress. When trying to reinstall SC/BW, I could not get it to work.

I turned off all my various protections and it loaded fine. These
"protections" included ad-aware, Zone Alarm firewall, Norton AV, etc.

G'day,

Jim

"benfranklyn" <someone@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to install StarCraft on a Win XP SP2 machine but CD won't
> autorun nor am I able to run the Setup or Install file......
> any help will be apperciated.

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

All machines are Win XP sp2 and no error messg....the cd rom spins with
activity but nothing appears on screen.

> All machines are Win XP sp2 and no error messg....the cd rom spins with
> activity but nothing appears on screen.

Um. Perhaps the CD is bad. Try another CD - if it works, copy that CD.
(But of course keep using your own CD-Key)

-LTP

:)

"Jim Young" <jim.youngspammenot@chartermi.net> wrote in message
> I just had a similar problem. As a result of the new 1.12 patch, I had to
> reinstall SC/BW. Many others have reported a similar situation where you
> have to delete and then reinstall the game due to map related errors - but
> digress. When trying to reinstall SC/BW, I could not get it to work.
>
> I turned off all my various protections and it loaded fine. These
> "protections" included ad-aware, Zone Alarm firewall, Norton AV, etc.

Norton firewall and Zone Alarm firewall seem to kill SC - and no one knows
why.

I have heard some people report that installing the IPX protocol (even if
you don't use it) fixes the problem and allows SC to be loaded normally.

--
LTP

When the llama speaks you listen. Unfortunately the llama hasn't spoken
yet.

Luc The Perverse wrote:

> Norton firewall and Zone Alarm firewall seem to kill SC - and no one knows
> why.
>
> I have heard some people report that installing the IPX protocol (even if
> you don't use it) fixes the problem and allows SC to be loaded normally.

It's an interesting problem. It's one that I posted a little while back.
It's not that SC doesn't load, it's that it takes an incredibly long
time to do it. Go away for 5 minutes and the installation screen will be
waiting for you. The problem seems to be with the way the installer
interacts with windows. It also makes playing the game problematic as it
tries to autorun the installer when you put the disk in meaning that
even if you can get it installed you're still going to run into problems
unless you disable autoplay.

I tried installing IPX, it did seem to cut the process down from 2
minutes to about 30 seconds for it to read. Haven't tried it on my
notebook yet which is running SP2.

"Spyderizer" <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:421a5906$1@clear.net.nz...
> Luc The Perverse wrote:
> >

> > Norton firewall and Zone Alarm firewall seem to kill SC - and no one
knows
> > why.
> >
> > I have heard some people report that installing the IPX protocol (even
if
> > you don't use it) fixes the problem and allows SC to be loaded normally.
>
> It's an interesting problem. It's one that I posted a little while back.
> It's not that SC doesn't load, it's that it takes an incredibly long
> time to do it. Go away for 5 minutes and the installation screen will be
> waiting for you. The problem seems to be with the way the installer
> interacts with windows. It also makes playing the game problematic as it
> tries to autorun the installer when you put the disk in meaning that
> even if you can get it installed you're still going to run into problems
> unless you disable autoplay.
>
> I tried installing IPX, it did seem to cut the process down from 2
> minutes to about 30 seconds for it to read. Haven't tried it on my
> notebook yet which is running SP2.

I say it's a bug and therefore has a solution if blizzard would get off
their butts and fix it.

--
LTP

When the llama speaks you listen. Unfortunately the llama hasn't spoken
yet.

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

Thanks for the help guys......
I did disable all auto load programs with msconfig and the game installed
without problems....
Thanks again

> Thanks for the help guys......
> I did disable all auto load programs with msconfig and the game installed
> without problems....
> Thanks again

No problem!