need help on deciding wich ram!

_AlcaPwn_

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
hay,

I'm going to buy my new system soon,

and the only thing left to do is to decide on which kind of ram to go with.

I've got two options, so pleas tell me wich you should recommend.

(I know you'll advise me to go with crucial balistix or such, but i can't get them here in Holland)

option 1: Team Xtreme ddr2 dark pc-6400 cas latency 4:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313011

option 2: Corsair Xms2 ddr2 DHX pc-6400 cas latency 4:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145177

I'm planning to oc my e8400 to 4ghz +

So wich of the two is the best overclocker?

I think i'll go with the corsair, but what's your opinion?

Thanks alot!

please also take a look at the build:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/248884-13-please-decide-system

Hello and welcome to the forums mate :)

Both of thos RAMs are very good and they have actually the same specs, so u wont be wrong with either of them,however i havent heard much about TeamXtreme brand

_AlcaPwn_

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Thanks for your reply!

Well I also have the opportunity to go with OCZ reaper, but that would mean i'd have to buy from 3 different stores, plus the fact that i'll have to change the msi 8800gts oc (g92) to the leadtek 8800gts 512mb (g92) (i'm on a really tight budget, so every thing cheaper makes a difference) I don't think that the brand of the card really matters, but i just don't feel like buying from 3 different stores, so only if you say that the ocz reaper gives a huge improvement and great overclocking potential (i saw in your signature that you've got them) i'll take them, but if you say it doesn't really matter i think i'll just stick with the corsair ram, i like the heatsink of them :p and it would reduce it to "just" 2 stores.

I also don't really know much about team xtreme, but i've read somewhere that that perticulair set is capable of doing 960 mhz on the same 4-4-4-12 timings.

But anyway, thanks for your help, really aprieciated!

No problem mate :)

As i said that Corsair is an awesome RAM and it will handle your rig fine
But, what resolution do u play @ ?
If u play @ lower than 1680x1050 then go for a 8800GT and save some $ but for higher than 1680x1050, although a 8800GT is enough but i recommend 8800GTS 512 for that resolution

_AlcaPwn_

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I'll be playing at 1024x768 or 1280x1024, still use old crt, But i want the 8800gts, my older brother is probarbly going to buy 8800gt, and i do want to have a better system:p but that's not the only reason, i'm planning to upgrade to a samsung 226bw as soon as i've got the money, will take a while, but i just want to have a solid graphics card that will last pretty long. and i don't like the cooler on 8800gt.

but i'll be going for the corsair now, thanks again for your help!

I think i'll be buying this evening, or moday or such... but i can't wait!!!!

At the moment i still have an old 2600+ amd xp, @ 3200+ and a x1650 pro agp, so it's going to be a HUGE difference:p

_AlcaPwn_

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Hay,

I'm now officially done with al the research, so i'll be ordering soon!
(as soon as my dad feels like it :p)

Anyway, i just wanted to thank you all for your support, great forum's!!

This is the final configuration:

Cpu: Intel Core 2 duo e8400
Cpu cooler: Tuniq Tower 120 LFB (fitted with a blue LED fan, I had 4 € left on my budget, so i spend them on this version, is going to look cool:p)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Graphics Card: MSI NX8800GTS 512MB OC Edition (g92)
PSU: OCZ StealXstream 600w
RAM: Corsair Xms2 DDR2 PC-6400 4-4-4-12 DHX 2x1024mb

I'll post again when i've got it up and running!

greetz,

_AlcaPwn_

_AlcaPwn_

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Thanks or your reply!

I know that the 8800gt would be a better option for me, At the resolutions i play at it doesn't really matter. So it is not that i think that if i don't take the 8800gts, my system would be a bit worse, its just that it took me a long time to raise this amount of money, and i just want the best i can get for it. And there's one more thing, its totally stupid i know, but i never had a dual slot card before, and seeing it in my new rig makes me feel like i've got the very best stuff i can get, you proberbly do not really understand, its just a thing i looked forward to when buying a new system, a dual slot videocard :p. It's really stupid and doesn't make sense, i know, but even with the 8800gts it's stil a very good system for the price and will last for at least a year! right :p?

So don't get me wrong, i know it would be a smarter move to go with the 8800gt, but i just don't want to.

You proberbly think i'm very dumb or such :p, but its in my head that i wan't the best i can get for the money. It's not the smartest move, i know, but it's the thing i want, and it took me a lot of time and effort to get to it, so i'm just going to tke what i wan't...

can you understand me a bit :p?

or do you think i'm a bit stupid :p?

Anyway, i do really aprieciate your effort and advice!

_AlcaPwn_

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Thanks for your support Shadow,

I know about needing a good quality psu,

But the OCZ StealXStream is a good quality PSU.

It uses the same components as OCZ GameXstream 700w and Zalman ZM600-HP.

You can read it here:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/451/1

Here are a couple of quotes from the review i picked out:

"But… Wait a minute! This printed circuit board (FSP part number 3BS0110312GP) is exactly the same one used by OCZ GameXstream 700 W and Zalman ZM600-HP! Are they all the same product with a different name? Let's disasemble this unit to check this out."

"All components describe on this page are identical to the ones used on OCZ GameXstream 700 W and Zalman ZM600-HP."

"Interesting to note that these are the same transistors used by Zalman ZM600-HP, OCZ GameXstream 700 W and Corsair HX620W power supplies."

"As we explained, the +5 V and +3.3 V output circuits from OCZ StealthXstream 600 W, OCZ GameXstream 700 W and Zalman ZM600-HP are identical"

"On the label of these three power supplies the maximum combined power for these two outputs is of 155 W. StealthXstream 600 W and GameXstream 700 W have the same labeled currents"

"This is exactly the same configuration used by OCZ GameXstream 700 W and Zalman ZM600-HP."

"OCZ says that each virtual rail found on StealthXstream 600 W can deliver up to 18 A – the same spec labeled for GameXstream 700 W"

"We loved this power supply. Why? Because it has exactly the same design of two other good high-end power supplies, OCZ GameXstream 700 W and Zalman ZM600-HP, but costs a lot less – only USD 85 in the USA. For the average user this is a terrific buy."

"The only internal difference between OCZ StealthXstream 600 W and these other two high-end models are the rectifiers used on the +12 V output, capable of delivering less current (and thus power). But it is still enough for the majority of users. The other components are exactly the same."

So, do you agree with me that this is also a tier 2 PSU? And therefore good enough for providing juice for my rig?

Thanks for your help!

_AlcaPwn_

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Guys I ned your help once more!

I'm totally going mad here...

The choice has now shifted between Crucial Ballistix pc-6400 4-4-4-12 or Corsair dominator pc-8500 5-5-5-15..... wich one shall i choose:O?

They're both around the same price here in holland..

€73 for crucial ballistix, €70 for corsair dominator

I think i'll go for the corsair dominator, because it has higher speeds, thus not bottlenecking my cpu overclock.... But i'm just not sure, i need your opinion please!

Crucial ballistix:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

Corsair dominator:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145043

_AlcaPwn_

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I'm tired of waiting and having to make decisions,

So I'm going to order now,

Here's the final configuration (the real one this time:p):

CPU: Intel Core 2 duo e8400
CPU Cooler: Tuniq Tower 120 (without blue led fan)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 600w
RAM: Corsair Dominator Xms2 Ddr2 PC-8500 1066Mhz E.P.P. DHX
Graphics Card: Gainward Bliss 8800gts 512mb gddr3 (g92)

I just wanted to thank you all for supporting me, great forums! Keep up the good work!!

Greetz and thanks,

_AlcaPwn_