Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 RAID 10 failure after F4 BIOS update

michaelt84

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
I have a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard. I updated the BIOS from F3 to F4 in an attempt to fix a wake from sleep problem and the intel RAID array was disabled. I reenabled the RAID array in the motherboard BIOS, and then entered the Intel RAID BIOS via <ctrl-I>, but only 2 of the original 4 drives were still in the Raid Array (ports 2 and 3). The hard drives on ports 0 and 1 were listed as non-Raid hard drives.

I could not find an option in either the RAID BIOS or the Intel Matrix Storage Manager to point the RAID to the 2 missing drives.

The original configuration was 4 x 1 TB drives in a RAID 10 array. It now shows as a failed array with 2 missing drives. Since both drives are from the same mirrored set, I can't simple rebuild it.

The drives have not failed, they are still visible (but not formated, since they were managed by the RAID controller). Is there any way to have the RAID BIOS recognize the 2 missing drives without destroying and rebuilding the Array?

michaelt84

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
I posted a question to Intel and here's the answer I received:

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

Once the drives are marked as "Missing", there is no way to rejoin these. You will need to create the RAID volume again from scratch.

When performing a BIOS update, the SATA Controller mode should be checked prior to attempting the first bootup.

Sincerely,

Carlos B.
Intel Technical Support

My mistake was not resetting the raid array before the first reboot. Looks like once its gone, its gone.