Sata hard drive with twi ide devices

G

Hi people,

I was wondering if someone might help, I've been trying to connect 1 SATA hard drive (boot drive) and two IDE devices (IDE hard drive: Seagate barracuda 7200 160 gb without OS. CD-ROM drive: Optiarc DVD RW AD-5200A ) to my system with no luck. I can only seem to get one or the other to work (they both work fine on their own) with my SATA HDD: Hitachi HDS721616PLA380 160gb.

I have been through all of the master/slave configurations on each of the IDE drives without success trying all combinations of jumpers and cables I also tried new cables. In the BIOS: ( American Megatrends Inc. P1.50 06/30/2008), I have tried each of the boot options ie. sequence and hard drive select and also all IDE/SATA configurations. I have also tried sata/ide combination. No luck.

I ran a memory check with mem86 with no faults and have checked all internal and external cables in the pc. The computer itself is only a few weeks old and runs fine until I try to add the extra ide device. I suspected PSU may be at fault but since it is new and there are no other external devices attached to the machine I doubt it.

I have also updated all drivers including the chipset for the motherboard but as yet I havent updated the BIOS. Any suggestions?

Board: Wolfdale1333-D667 (ASROCK)
Memory: 2 GB
OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Processor: 1.60 gigahertz Intel Celeron dual core
PSU: Win Power ATX-400

Raviolissimo

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
What motherboard ?

it's been a while since i've had to set a hard drive jumper.

i thought the cables used a "cable select" technique, so the hard
drive config. is determined by location on the cable.

G

Hi Rav, thanks for your reply,

The motherboard is an ASROCK Wolfdale1333-D667. I've also tried all combinations of positioning on the ide cable with both drives while trying to set them as either master/slave or both on cable select via jumpers on the drives. This really has me stumped.

Is the SATA hard disk connected to a red or an orange connector? Did you use the 80-pin IDE cable that came with your motherboard (the blue connector should be connected to the motherboard). You could configure your hard disk and the CDROM drive for cable select. Then connect both units and check if they are detected. If not, are they detected if you disconnect the SATA hard disk?

G

Sata hard disk is connected to the mobo with a red connector. And yep, I connected the two devices with the 80 pin IDE cable. I havent tried connecting the two IDE units on their own as the SATA one contains the OS. Will give it a try and see what results I come up with.

G

OK,

I have now tried every configuration with all 3 drives and with the 2 ide drives only. It seems that no matter what I try only one can be detected properly through the ide channel (the only one on the mobo).

If I set the dvd rom to master and the hdd to slave I get the following message while detecting ide drives before the boot process:
----------------------------------------------------------
Auto-Detecting IDE1 Master.ATAPI CDROM
Auto-Detecting IDE1 Slave .IDE hard Disk
IDE Master: Optiarc DVD RW AD-5200A 1.05
Ultra DMA Mode-4

3rd Slave Hard Disk Error
Press F1 to resume.
-------------------------------------------------------
The option to enter the BIOS is chosen before this point so If I have taken that option and press F1, the screen displays the BIOS, If I havent the pc tries to boot.

If I do go into the BIOS the DVD drive is present in the boot config settings but the hard drive isnt.
However, In the IDE config, both are present??!! This only happens with just the 2 ide devices connected. When I add the sata drive, only the sata drive and the ide master device is shown.
It seems to me that there is a fault with the ide channel and it is only able to use one device, namely the master.

@ghislaing- whichever drive is detected in the BIOS shows in windows.

Apologies if this seems a little confusing, If I havent explained properly please let me know, cheers.

G

Hi guys,

I already tried those configurations. Seems like this IDE channel is faulty in some way. Seems strange that only one device can work on it at a time though. Thanks for your input. Looks like its time for a new mobo.

Unless you tested that configuration on another system, don't rule out the possibility that both IDE devices are not 100% compatible. Why not get a new SATA DVD-RW (you could always sell the Optiarc DVD RW AD-5200A)? It isn't necessarily a good idea to install a DVD and a hard disk on the same IDE Channel.

G

@ ghislaing, looks like I may have to take your advice only it looks like I may have to sell the HDD instead considering:

UPDATE:
I decided to pull another old dvd drive out of another machine and I found that when connected to IDE its recognised but only with the other (Optiarc) DVD drive. When I tried it along with the IDE HDD it wouldnt work. It looks as though this HDD does not like sharing an IDE channel. I would have thought that Seagate and/or Optiarc would have realised how important it would be to make their drives fully compatible with any other device while sharing an IDE channel.

Thanks for your suggestions guys, unless anyone knows of a 'magic fix' to make the Seagate HDD compatible with another device on the same IDE channel, I'll draw a close to the thread.

Cheers!

G

D'oh!

Update:

I went onto Seagates site and found the jumper configurations for the drive. I found that there is a further configuration other than simple master/slave. By adding a second jumper I was able to configure the drive to : Master with non ATA compatible slave. It worked. I must therefore apologise to Seagate considering my previous post however, in my defence, why do manufacturers make their configuration illustrations impossibly small and difficult to read?

Thanks to all for taking the time to help.