Sign in with
Your question

PC Won't Boot

Last response: in Motherboards
February 15, 2008 7:55:29 PM

Hi,

I'm having problems getting my PC to boot. I'm using an Abit AV8 motherboard. I know all the parts work because I had them in another PC which I disassembled and now I'm reassembling in a new case.

When I turn my PSU on, the green digits light up on the motherboard, so the mobo is clearly powered. My guess is that it's a header problem, but I have the "Power SW" header where it should go according to the motherboard's documentation.

I tried doing a bare bones boot. I removed the motherboard from the case, installed 1 stick of RAM and a video card with the CPU and heatsink installed as well. I connected the Power SW lead to what should be its appropriate header. It appeared that the CCMOS jumper was covering the 2 and 3 pins which I thought was the reset position, so I tried moving it to 1 and 2 pins (I also tried booting with it in the same position). None of this did anything.

Now I have no idea what the problem is. It can't be shorting because I removed it from the case. My video card and RAM are seated properly. I have the 20-pin power connector connected to the mobo and the 4-pin ATX connector plugged in as well. I can take pictures if that could help.

Note that when I press the power button on my case, nothing happens at all. The CPU fan doesn't even turn on.

Here are the basic specs:

Abit AV8 motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 FX processor
1GB DDR RAM (x2 512MB)
Radeon X800 PRO AGP graphics card

I just can't figure out why it's not booting. It's very frustrating.

Thank you.

More about : boot

February 15, 2008 8:45:14 PM

You forgot to plug something in like atx 12v or the power needs pressed in harder od wigggled a little. Is it turned on on the back of the PSU? Can you post some pics?
February 16, 2008 4:34:41 AM

Well, it can't be a power issue. I have both the 20-pin main mobo connector plugged in and the 4-pin connector. The mobo must have power because when I plug in the PSU, the board lights up. But when I press the power button on the case, nothing happens. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.
Related resources
February 16, 2008 2:27:29 PM

Power button might be hooked up wrong or the button itself could be bad.
February 16, 2008 5:32:13 PM

Hmm...I have the Power SW lead connected to the header noted in the manual. How in the world would I know if it's a bad button? I just bought the case. =(
February 16, 2008 5:58:53 PM

You could put a jumper on the power button terminals "I think" maybe someone could verify you can before you try it. Or possibly shorting it with a screwdriver.
!