PC Won't Boot

Hi,

I'm having problems getting my PC to boot. I'm using an Abit AV8 motherboard. I know all the parts work because I had them in another PC which I disassembled and now I'm reassembling in a new case.

When I turn my PSU on, the green digits light up on the motherboard, so the mobo is clearly powered. My guess is that it's a header problem, but I have the "Power SW" header where it should go according to the motherboard's documentation.

I tried doing a bare bones boot. I removed the motherboard from the case, installed 1 stick of RAM and a video card with the CPU and heatsink installed as well. I connected the Power SW lead to what should be its appropriate header. It appeared that the CCMOS jumper was covering the 2 and 3 pins which I thought was the reset position, so I tried moving it to 1 and 2 pins (I also tried booting with it in the same position). None of this did anything.

Now I have no idea what the problem is. It can't be shorting because I removed it from the case. My video card and RAM are seated properly. I have the 20-pin power connector connected to the mobo and the 4-pin ATX connector plugged in as well. I can take pictures if that could help.

Note that when I press the power button on my case, nothing happens at all. The CPU fan doesn't even turn on.

Here are the basic specs:

Abit AV8 motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 FX processor
1GB DDR RAM (x2 512MB)
Radeon X800 PRO AGP graphics card

I just can't figure out why it's not booting. It's very frustrating.

Thank you.
5 answers Last reply
More about boot
  1. You forgot to plug something in like atx 12v or the power needs pressed in harder od wigggled a little. Is it turned on on the back of the PSU? Can you post some pics?
  2. Well, it can't be a power issue. I have both the 20-pin main mobo connector plugged in and the 4-pin connector. The mobo must have power because when I plug in the PSU, the board lights up. But when I press the power button on the case, nothing happens. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.
  3. Power button might be hooked up wrong or the button itself could be bad.
  4. Hmm...I have the Power SW lead connected to the header noted in the manual. How in the world would I know if it's a bad button? I just bought the case. =(
  5. You could put a jumper on the power button terminals "I think" maybe someone could verify you can before you try it. Or possibly shorting it with a screwdriver.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Boot