Sign in with
Your question

V4000 wireless card

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 5, 2009 12:35:28 PM

Has anyone successfully used a wireless card other than the HP recommended spare 396695-001 in a compaq presario v4000?

I am trying to replace my friends busted wireless mini pci card but i would like to use an alternative if possible.

More about : v4000 wireless card

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b α HP
April 5, 2009 7:52:52 PM

It's probably an Intel or Broadcomm unit used widely in many brands of laptop -- see if you find out which and you may find an identical unit, but not labelled HP, at a saving.

With the correct driver any wireless PCI card of the right dimensions (and there are some which are too big) should do, actually.
April 5, 2009 8:03:07 PM

Thanks for your reply. I realise any physically similar card will fit, but apparently HP operates a whitelist on some parts via a BIOS recognition so you are only able to use the exact replacement part(so they get more money).

I havent been able to find any actual list of models or parts that are on these lists though so I was hoping someone who has actually tried an alternative could tell me the experience they had.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b α HP
April 6, 2009 8:43:27 AM

Oh dear, I've occasionally encountered the same whitelist thing when replacing CD drives in Dell laptops -- it's just nonsense as all the drives connect and work identically.

If this is true of HP too you know which brands of computer not to buy next time.

However, keep looking because there's a limited range of original manufacturers in wireless cards and you are likely to find a unit which fools your computer into thinking it's an "original HP" part.
!