Is there a riad level for 3x 36gb raptors for triple perf. + parity

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
yes i was wondering if there is a raid level to use 3x 36gb 10krpm raptors and obtain triple the speed and have parity/reduntacy in case one crashes.

working on a budget, but my new x58 has a ich10 controller i believe.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Nope....

Raid 0 the lot and do good backups, or raid 5 the lot (controller permitting) to get the parity / redundancy. Personally I don't trust onboard controllers very far, but as you are on a budget...

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
ok thanks croc. also does anyone happen to know of a good back up auto backup option i could set wich folders to back up weekly and forget about it?

and one more thing, i have two recenlt rma'd 36gb raptors so i have the latest revion of the 36gb drive. im thinking of buying a 3rd maybe for raid 0. only problem is only ones i ever find on ebay are the older modles wich ahve only 8mb cache (instead of 16mbcache like my rma'd new ones have, and are a bit slower then the newer 36gb raptors. wd360-gd and wd360-adfd

would putting a 3rd slower (older revision) raptor in the array as a 3rd raid0 drive slow down the other 2 current 36gb 10k rpm raptors? or would it still be faster, given id have 3 drives raid0

HeaVenS

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
with raid 0 its not going to be THAT much faster, you will see a difference in the everyday applications but as far as gaming and stuff its not going to matter.... it seems you are interested in the backups, i would personally run raid 1 setup.... then again i personally just use an external drive and if its something i dont want to loose i put on both =/ so far i have maybe 15 gigs on both, but over 90gigs on my main so if i was to set up raid 1 i would have 75 gigs worth of data i care nothing about backing up

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
well i was using buffalos memeo autosync which was pretty good, but i have just switched to using synctoy 2.0 which im very impressed with, very simple interface it is possible to set a schedule using windows task scheduler which i have done in a couple of minutes so its no hassle to setup.