Noticed something odd in Crysis...

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
In Crysis, I've noticed that certain things in the environment don't appear until I'm almost on top of them. For example, sticks just appear at my feet while walking on the beach. They aren't there at all until I'm almost on top of them, then they just pop into existence. Also, when the frame is filled with rocks, this happens again. The rocks will just pop into existence as I get closer. What's up with this? Is there a setting I can change?

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Try www.tweakguides.com, it has a good explanation of tweaks to crysis, maybe there is a value you can change. Its just the draw distance on minor objects, but it is quite noticeable.

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
dragonslayer: I'm getting 15189 3dmark06. 3.6 GHz Q6600; 780 MHz 512 GTS G92

I'll take a look at the object detail, although I'm pretty sure everything is set to high.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
If you are a DX10 user you can try very high. Object detail is probably the most important setting gameplay-wise, since it Edit: affects [strike]effects[/strike] view distance.

If you are still on XP (or run DX9 mode in Vista) you can use a very high hack on object detail to achieve the same effect as very high DX10. Keep in mind that your FPS will suffer...

SyPheR

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006

Uhhh, shouldn't you say that there is not really a card atm that is capable of running crysis above 30-35 FPS instead of advising the man he should spend like 600 euro (yes euro dunno the dollar price) for that crap 30 FPS?
Also...his system? Q6600 is able to take the stress when it comes to physhics. If I was him I would wait to play crysis till it's 2009. By that time the cards will come out that will let him play Crysis and other DX10 games at a normal framerate like 50 FPS or higher.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
hmm, isnt that controlled by an option similar to "max rendering distance"?
games like half life 2 has it for decals, and stuff like trees.
so why not check for an option similar to that, maybe its set too low.

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
I've noticed the same thing playing Crysis even though I have everything on high settings. It seems to have something to do with playing in DX9 on XP as none of the settings can be pushed past high. It'd be great if there was an option for rendering distance, but there is none. As annoying as it is, Crysis plays great on my setup otherwise with 30-50 fps and still looks amazing.

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I'm waiting until at least 2016 to play Crysis, as I want it to run 60+ FPS on my phone. Seriously, I just picked up a copy of Doom 2 for my new gaming rig, I get crazy great FPS with all settings on max! waiting years to play games is what PC gaming is all about! $1500 well spent...

G

It's a necessary evil at the moment considering the hardware isn't good enough yet. (We'll see how the double pcb cards handle it in the next few months).

It actually helps at the moment. There is no point seeing tons of rocks and sticks if it slows your pc and framerate down even more. Unless of course you bought the game to walk around enjoying the view as opposed to blasting anything that moves.

Hopefully - in enough time - GPU's will eat Crysis for breakfast.

_Morphine_

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
I didnt see where you posted your sys specs so its hard to help.

I can say though that I ran into this same problem with COD2 as well as Crysis. There may have been more FPS games that did it but I didnt test them. COD4, & Source engine games worked fine. I didnt pursue fixing it with Crysis since I didnt really care for the game.

I asked questions on forums and the only semi-direction I got was that it was mipmapping. I coudn't find a setting for COD2 that would change it. I tried multiple hardware configs and even a couple operating systems. I even tried the Vista SP1 Beta in hopes of fixing it. I finally decided it was my video driver since my machine was plenty beefy. (thats why it helps to post your specs)

As I write this I realized it had been a couple weeks since I checked for a new driver. The driver page is under maintenance though...

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I did post my system specs... fourth post down...

3.6 GHz Q6600 and a 780 MHz 8800 GTS 512. 4 gig RAM. Vista Ultimate x64. You couldn't buy a faster system right now.

I really don't care much for Crysis either. I've caught myself saying "lame" more than once. Team Fortress 2 and Quake Wars are much cooler. Hell, Half Life 2 is cooler.

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
BTW: Increased object detail to Very High. Increased AA to 4x. Neither did anything. Like I said though, this game is all hype, so I don't care too much. The graphics are cool in some spots, but all looks and no substance...

G

I think hype was simply our own or collective expectations.

I also think that we use hype as more of an excuse because we haven't been able to enjoy Crysis because of frame rates ie. Hardware

If the hardware had been ready - I think everyones perception would have been twice as good.

I believe Crytek deserve a pat on the back along with other projects like Windows Vista. These products have encouraged and persuaded the industry and many of us to bring the future on more quickly - and they have forced manufacturers to deliver more powerful solutions to get us there.

I haven't bought Crysis yet because I'm holding out for my next build (for financial reasons and GPU ones). The demo was pretty good but I couldn't adequately enjoy it for all of the same FPS reasons.

I will still buy it when the hardware is out there and looking forward to some good multiplayer and team action.

Thanks to Crysis, the GPU manufacturers are workng as best they can to put products out the door that are far superior to previous solutions.

We'll get there and hopefully some other cool games and things will be on the shelves along with Crysis...

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

I'm really not trying to brag or anything like that, but my machine is more than fast enough to play Crysis with everything on high or Ultra, and AA enabled (although I don't notice a dramatic difference between AA and non AA). In any case, I'm not referring to the graphics as being a let down. On more than one occasion I was wowed by the eye candy. I'm talking specifically about gameplay and story, which is repetitive, derivative and, at times, rather tedious. For example, I can be 50 meters away from an enemy, shoot him about 100 times (and I know I'm hitting him because of the blood), and he still keeps walking around. Additionally, the AI is horrible. The game is so corny that sometimes I wonder if I'm laughing with, or at, Crytek.

Bioshock, HL2 (and the subsequent episodes), Team Fortress 2, etc etc, are much more enjoyable than Crysis. When compared side by side they may lack a bit in the graphics department, but the difference really isn't as dramatic as you'd think, except for some obvious bits where Crysis blows the competition out of the water (expansive environments comes to mind). This being said, I'll probably play through Crysis...it's not so bad that I want to avoid it. However, it falls far short of even the lowest expectations. I didn't even know Crysis existed until it was released, so my expectations weren't as high as those who've been waiting a year plus. In fact, I really didn't have any expectations beyond it being graphically amazing. Truth be told, although the graphics are pretty sweet, they really aren't as mind blowing as I thought they'd be, based, again, on the hype. I'm just glad this game was included with my graphics card. Had I bought it outright, I'd probably be pretty disappointed.

gpippas

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Man did I get fed up with the "will this play crysis max settings" threads. Who cares. Its just a game. On top of that its just another fps with no unique selling points, unlike Bioshock, HL2 with its story, or the atmosphere in Fear. Its unique selling point was graphics that no machine could run properly. Oblivion used to be the gpu killer which was actually annoying because all you wanted to do play the game because it was actually good.

On top of that now the game is released we keep getting threads asking why it won't run properly or telling us that they are getting 60fps very high settings with a 9600pro and its soo amazing. Just play the bloody game.

End of rant
P.s this isn't aimed at you JJBlanche. Its aimed at the people who insist on telling/asking rubbish.

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
i'm running q6600 oc to 3.6 fsb at 1800 ddr2-800 @ 900 and 2x2900Pro OC to XT. Runs max DX9 like butter and renders everything properly.

(I REFUSE TO RUN VISTA!!!)
catalyst 7.2 at the time. going to update to 8.1 with the hotfix when i get home.

pauldh

Illustrious
I'm really not trying to brag or anything like that, but my machine is more than fast enough to play Crysis with everything on high or Ultra, and AA enabled

What resolution did you play at? What kind of framerates are playable to you? I can't see any current single GPU playing Crysis on all high with high fsaa/af at 1680x1050 or above. Reviews I've seen show the 8800U averaging low 20's fps at such settings, which to me isn't quite playable even in Crysis.

For me, a single 8800GT OC averged 21.99 fps at 16x10 high 2x/16x, and 17.63 fps at 4x/16x. FSAA is a killer in crysis. Just enabling 4xaa alone (no AF) knocked fps from 31 down to 21 average.

monsterrocks

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007

:lol: This wins best post of the day! I was having a bad day until now....I laughed so hard i nearly fell off my chair...

G

I agree that Crysis is just a game. I also had no expectations because I didn't really get into Far Cry at all. Crysis is the first game for me that hasn't been playable enough because of my hardware. (Fine on medium settings but this rig is almost 4 years old)

However, after playing Joint operations and all of the Delta Force versions - I felt the sniper rifle in Crysis is just me cup of tea. Hence - I'm holding out to play it in Multi-player on some good servers and can't wait to sit on a hillside and snipe - and look forward to eventually being nuked out of existence (a first gaming experience for me).

Like someone said - it's just a game - so we stay and play - or move on.
When playing the demo I noticed the rocks appearing late, but that helps my X800pro - else I'd never have been able to appreciate the rest of the game play as much as I could.
Having watched a few in game vids on YouTube - it is evident that some folks are getting a pretty decent gaming experience.

(This reply is not to anyone specific and neither was my previous one).