Yet another BSOD.... sigh help please

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
ok whenever i start cpuz or speedfan my computer seems to get a BSOD about 20% of the time. i finally disabled auto restart on BSOD and so now wrote down the only code that came up which was: 0x0000007F what does that mean and what do i have to do?

*ok i did a little goodling and i found that it can either be ram or a anti virus program (dont quote me on that, thats just what i read) i know it is not my ram because memtest tests clear. so my only anti virus is avg and kaspersky

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Mav now and again I also get a BSOD when opening speedfan and i also run AVG on Vista64 ultimate...

Its not very helpfull to you, but perhaps a start

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
What spec??? :bounce: Please give make/model of PSU! You should NOT be running 2 AV/security products. Make sure you have latest version of Speedfan.

Mike.

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007

Yes, exactly. Why more people dont do a google search on the stop code is beyond me.

Hey wow!...look what I found. I wonder what this means ;)

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, use the appropriate method: • If either software or hardware can cause a particular trap, a debug is required to determine which is the cause. If you suspect a hardware problem, try the following hardware troubleshooting steps: 1. Test the RAM in the computer by running the diagnostic software that is provided by the computer manufacturer. Replace any RAM that is reported as bad. Also, make sure that all the RAM in the computer is the same speed.
2. Try removing or swapping out controllers, cards, or other peripherals.
3. Try a different motherboard on the computer.

• If you are over clocking the speed of your processor, set it back to the speed at which it is designed to run.
• Check with the hardware vendor for any updated hardware drivers or BIOS updates, or both.

i know it is not my ram because memtest tests clear

Your RAM can test without errors in memtest, but can still cause system crashes when running in a windows environment. I see your posts all over the place asking, 'what's my problem?" RAM. Your system crashes when running software in windows are a classic.

Many times, the answer is not all that helpful if you don't know how to understand it.

Take hex outputs (for the tech). What good is reading a 00 fault if you take it for face value? A 0x07 fault on a BSOD could be any number of things, and it can be expensive just swapping ram with new ram, or what ever else.

Google can make anyone into doctors, lawyers, techs, but without understanding of the answers presented, it is a false state.

Here are just a few ( dozens more have been given to you by me and a host of others) suggestions you have been given about your system crashes. Really, I don't what more is to be said:

The first thing you need to know is that the Maximus Formula Overvolts Ram.

You need to set the Dram Voltage to 2.04v within BIOS to get 2.10v.

Also set the NB voltage to 1.44v

Also make sure you are using the latest BIOS 0907, it has more Ram Compatability built in it.

Make sure your Command Rate is set at 2T, and NOT 1T.

Make sure you are using slots A1 & B1.
Then try A2 & B2.

You can also try setting the Ram timings to 5-5-5-15 at 1.90v and see if it will work at a higher latency

Then you had then following advice given to you:

its most likely an issue of incompatibility and you might have no choice but to change your ram or board. try Kensek's tips and if they still not helping just replace your ram with another type or brand. ncix seems to be pricey too so i feel your pain. let us know how it goes. good luck

Then:

first off, always go to the manufacturers website to check ram compatibilty, i have this board and bought it from www.newegg.com and read reviews on the board and too many people were having problems with the corsair ram, that is my ram of choice(xms), so i bought crucial ballistix, it works great.....
next, all these people who go into their bios and overclock are wasting their time, i have overclocked my q6600 to 3.61mhz using the asus gear 3, u can adjust the volts and timing of the ram there as well, also make sure u get an aftermarket cooler if u have an e or q model intel cpu, the stock ones suck, download cpu-z and core temp programs to monitor ur hardware

Maverick. The symptoms all point to your RAM. I have answered you on numerous posts regarding your system.

Comptia Rep! (Bows and touches head to spacebar ) Diagnose this!

Rumor travels faster, but it don't stay put as long as truth.

:hello:

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007

Eh, but its better than having no lead at all. Ive always found it helpful for troubleshooting. But then maybe im just really smart. ;)

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
iv done everything u have said... i even bought new bloody ram that tests ok in memtest my old ram tested bad even though it wasnt bad ram.. the mobo just didnt support it (yes i have latest bios...)

how do i run a debug?

could it be a faulty motherboard?

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
What spec??? :bounce: Please give make/model of PSU! You should NOT be running 2 AV/security products. Make sure you have latest version of Speedfan.

Mike.

I did post this earlier!!! :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou:
I still don't know what PSU!! If you are so sure it's not hardware, try running CHKDSK /R on your system drive. You could try a repair-install. If you have a spare HD, fit as only drive and do a fresh install of windows, if that works with CPU-Z, it's a software problem. Have you changed any hardware before this problem occurred?

Mike.

gpippas

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I cant believe you bought more ram.

Have you formatted and reinstalled windows?

That is the general fix for everything. Having done that don't reinstall all your junk. Load up cpu-z only and see if it BSOD's. If it doesn't the issue is software related. If it does BSOD after a full format it is hardware related. Doing that from the beginning would have saved you a lot of time.

I agree with that Mike you shouldn't have 2 AV products running at the same time ever it causes all sorts of wierd problems (tried myself once).

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
well i ran kaspersky and i didnt find the virus and then i ran avg and it did...

and i didnt see your post, i have a 700watt ocz gamexstream

and yes i actually have tried formatting windows 2 times... 'shudders' however i loaded all my junk on it so im not sure if its software... uhh i dont want to have to do it a third

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
That PSU should be fine, (unless you have 2 8800 ULTRAs in SLI). Complete spec might help, motherboard/memory can be awkward. Can you not borrow a 40Gb drive from somewhere to do a clean install and check out Spedfan and CPU-Z?

Mike.

gpippas

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Well its definately a hardware problem then. If its a new build just send everything back. Its a pain but will probably easier in the long run. Troubleshooting to find a specific hardware fault if you don't have other systems to test components on can be very difficult. Not only that but it might be more than 1 component causing the problem.