Sign in with
Your question

64-bit OS on 1st HDD, 64/32-bit applications on 2nd HDD

Last response: in Storage
January 4, 2009 6:46:29 AM

I do alot of reformatting, since i tend to slow down my computer with waaaay to many programs/problems. My question is if i install Vista Ultimate x64 on one HDD, and install all of my programs, which include both 64-bit and 32-bit applications, on a secondary HDD and be able to run both 64 and 32-bit programs with my OS. Further, if i do need to reformat my first HDD and reinstall Vista x64, would i still b able to run the 32 and 64-bit programs, mostly concerned if the new OS will still b able to run 64-bit programs in actual 64-bit after reformat and reinstallation? sorry if its confusing :pt1cable: 
January 4, 2009 7:22:44 AM

For running 64-bit and 32-bit applications it doesn't matter if they are on the same disk/partition as the OS. It doesn't matter if they are on the same disk in another partition. Neither does it matter if they are on another disk.
If you have everything on separate disks and you reformat the first disk and reinstall the OS you will also have to reinstall the applications.
January 4, 2009 7:45:24 AM

k ty for the help, can i ask the reason for this?
January 4, 2009 8:26:44 AM

Windows relies on the registry to store information about installed applications. Nearly every program that is installed writes to the registry (and when you remove the application it doesn't usually remove (all) it' s entries from the registry). When you do a fresh install of the OS you start with a new registry. It's impossible to scan the apllications and rebuild the registry.

Every time Microsoft starts to work on a new OS people beg to stop using a registry.
!