First New Build in 5 years

ctams

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
Hi Folks. I'm new to this forum but built my first oc'd system in '99. I kept up with new hardware for a few years after that and then got busy with kids, etc. So, my most current system had an AMD 2200XP with 1gb of pc133. Time to gut the box. I can use the box, DVD burner, 5.1 soundcard, etc, but want a new platform Intel or AMD.
I want a well-rounded setup for business apps, some home video, digital audio recording (from a guitarport).
My OS is XP Pro, downgraded from Vista, but I can get that back if I want.

I need, Mobo, CPU, ram, (I have old Radeon 64mb video card), PS, (I have a 250 sata/can I use that?)

What sort of mobo, ram, cpu, ps combo can I put together for $400? Am I missing any critical items? By the way OC'ing this system would be nice, but not critical.

Motherboard: Gigabyte P-35 DS3L @ $100
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 800 @ $75 (plus $35 rebate)
CPU: Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz $125
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 430 $60 (plus $30 rebate)

If you want to upgrade your video card you could look at a Radeon HD 2400 Pro 256MB $40

Otherwise $360 on the credit card plus $65 in rebates for a final cost of $295 plus tax and shipping.

The C2D E4500 will overclock nicely on the DS3L motherboard.
You should be able to re-use your Sata (Sata150?) HD but you will need to re-intall OS from scratch.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I like what WR@ has suggested. However if it is not a budget issue I would go for an 8600 GT video card for about $100 and have a decent, mid-range (for non-gaming applications - low end for gaming) card from the start. And if you don't plan to overclock, I would go for a faster CPU now or plan to upgrade in a year or two. Also, if you chose to use Vista, then I would increase RAM to 3 GB.

ctams

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
Thanks for the help here guys. I am toying with these and another idea for the video card from another post. I'll let you all know what I decide to do.

HD 3850 sure is a nice gaming video card.... [:wr2]

The Antec Earthwatts 430 PSU I listed above will handle a HD3850 and all the parts you're thinking about easily.
It has about ~30amps on the +12v supply.

Link to your "other" thread here