Problem with SBM Mid Cost System

MarcosVandel

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Hi All,

I'm building a new PC based on the SBM Mid Cost system posted here on Toms Hardware. Once the components are put together, I power up the system but get no video output or any kind of POST beeps.

I've tried swapping the video card from another PC and also swapped our the RAM but I still can't get anything to show up on the monitor.

I've removed the board from the case and also unplugged all non esential components but still no luck.

The 20 pin power connection is hooked up as well as the 8 pin ATX power connector and 6 pin connector going to the Geforce card itself. I've checked and double checked the front panel switches and they all seem to be setup correctly. Although the reset switch does not seem to be working, I'm assuming it is just a side affect from the main issue.

Has anyone experienced this kind of problem before and have ideas on what might be causing it?

Thanks in advance for the help

Jim

MarcosVandel

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Sure,

CUP: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Heatsink: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme
Heatsink Fan: Scythe's S-Flex SFF21F
Motherboard: MSI P6N SLI Platinum
RAM: Corsair XMS2 DDR2 CM2X1024-6400
Hard Drive:Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA
Optical Drive: Sony NEC Optiarc 7170 SATA
Video Card: eVGA Geforce 8800 GTS (640 MB)
Power Supply: AeroCool Zerodba 620W
ATX Case: Cooler Master Elite

All components are brand new.

Jim

akhilles

Splendid
Find your board at msi site & go to cpu compatibility list. Check for the oldes Q6600-compatible BIOS against the version printed on the bios label on the board.

Make sure the cpu fan is plugged in the cpu fan socket or else it won't post regardless of how cool the cpu is. Try another fan as well.

The PSU could be the culprit. Try another one:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

As a last resort, bring the new build to a local computer store. It might take them 10 mins to figure out the problem.