New gaming build - from accross the pond

Springbok

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Background:
So I'm in the fortunate position that my wife's PC broke down and needs replacing, so what better motive to pass my current PC to her and get myself a nice new rig! ;-)

I haven't done a build myself for quite some time now, just the occasional upgrade of components so I hope that I don't forget anything. I haven't done a build myself for quite some time now, just the occasional upgrade of components so I hope that I don't forget anything. As I'm located in Europe the Newegg prices are not really applicable but quite often if on product is cheaper that another at Newegg then the same might apply to price comparison over here.

Keynotes:
This system will be used for gaming only(RTS and RPGs) and I won't be OC'ing.
I'm planning on using Vista Home Premium 64bits
So all components should work with or be Vista certified
Support next generation 45nm CPU
Overclocking NOT required
I'd like a motherboard that will last (good upgrade options).
Full DX10 support for the graphics card

MoBo
GigaByte GA-P35-DQ6
Highlighted Features: P35, 2x PCI, 2x PCI-e(X1), 8x SATA-300

GIGABYTE GA-X38-DQ6
Highlighted Features: X38, 2x PCI, 2x PCI-e2.0 16x, 3x PCI-X, PATA-133, 8x SATA-300
or
Asus Maximus Formula (Special Edition)
Highlighted Features: X38, 3x PCI-e 1x, 2x PCI-e 16x, 2x PCI 2.2, PATA-33, PATA-66, PATA-100, PATA-133, 6x SATA-300

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Highlighted Features: 3GHz, 4x333MHz, 6MB
or
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850
Highlighted Features: 3GHz, 4x333MHz, 4MB
or
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Highlighted Features: 2.4GHz, 4x266MHz, 2x 4MB

Memory
Crucial Ballistix BL2KIT12864AA663 2GB DDR2
Highlighted Features: 2GB, 2, 1GB, PC2-5300 (DDR2-667)

Hard drive
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS
Highlighted Features: 750GB, SATA, 16MB, 7200

Video
XFX GeForce 8800 GT 512MB DDR3 (PV-T88P-YDF4)
Highlighted Features : RoHS , HDCP Ready , SLI ready , Dual DVI Out , Vista , HDTV ready , TV Out

Case
Antec Nine Hundred

PSU
Zalman ZM600-HP 600W (ATX, Heatpipe))

Optical drives
LG GSA-H12LRB 18x PATA-33(Dual-layer, Lightscribe, Retail)
and
LG 16x52x GDR-8164RBB PATA-33(Zwart)

Monitor
Samsung Syncmaster 2232BW
Highlighted Features: 22", 1680x1050, 2ms, widescreen
or
Samsung Syncmaster 226BW
Highlighted Features: 22", 1680x1050, 2ms
or
Asus VW222U
Highlighted Features: 22", 1680x1050, 2ms

Additional:
No keyboard, mouse or speakers(keeping the old ones)
Also looking for good multi card reader(Visata compatible) and that supports SD > 4GB

So, fire away, what do you think of the build, any obvious mistakes or missing parts?
Almost forgot to mention that I'm over budget(who isn't…) so I wouldn’t want to spend more.

Edit: GigaByte GA-P35-DQ6 added as ne MoBo

akhilles

Splendid
MOBO: The DQ6 has quality capacitors, 8 SATAs, 8 USB in I/O plate, etc. whereas the Maximus has 6 SATAs, 6 USB in I/O plate, etc. The Maximus is Restriction on the use of Hazardous Substances (RoHS)-compliant. Green is a big thing in Europe. I like the Maximus' layout: the SATA should all be at 90 degree facing the front of the case. I think the idea came from DFI. Evga 680i/780i boards use the same SATA layout.

CPU: Go with the best bang dual cores. It's a gaming-only pc.

LCD: Go with Samsung & thank yourself later. Don't know the price differences. You be the judge.

Springbok

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Thanks akhilles, I seen some good reviews on the Samsung LCD so I will probably go for one on them. I'm just not sure if I should go for the widescreen, not sure how that will be with gaming, no experience.

akhilles

Splendid
Widescreen is the future. The HDTV manufacturers will be cutting back on making SDTV by a very large margin since the HDTV is taking over & is in demand.

That may affect LCD monitors since most every new movie release is widescreen, anyone who watches movies on PC will need a widescreen monitor to get the best experience, along with a good audio setup.

I myself wanted a standard definition LCD when I was in the market for the 1st LCD. I came from a CRT background. After taking the plunge, I have no regrets.

The left side of my screen is a list of bookmarks, & the right side is my main web browser window. Most every new game supports widescreen. Especially a must for flight/driving sims since you're looking from your seat through the window when you're driving.

Springbok

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Well doghills, the reason for choosing the X38 is simple "lack of knowledge". I've been out of the technical scene for a couple of years now and need to get back into the saddle. Thanks for the pointer.

Added the GigaByte GA-P35-DQ6 as first choice MoBo.

Widescreen question: How does a game that doesn't support widescreen look/perform on widescreen, any serious issues?

akhilles

Splendid
If a game doesn't support widescreen, the picture will be either stretched or there will be 2 black bars on the sides. Only picture issue. Nothing else. Old games do that.

You'll be disappointed to play old games on widescreen. Just like most people will be disappointed to watch standard definition TV on HDTV. I'm not sure what the point is.