Dvd not dedetcted by computer

najjool2

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
confused about deleting upper and lower filter? after dD36E965-E325......... it is confusing and just could not figure out what to delete and where

I will try to walk you through that, just do one step at a time and relax upon it.

left click start in the lower left hand of the screen
left click run
type regedit
left click OK
Now the registry editor will come up
double left click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
double left click on SYSTEM
double left click on CurrentControlSet
double left click on Control
double left click on Class
double left click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
look on the right side of the window for upper filters
right click on upper filters
left click delete
windows will then ask you to confirm deletion
click yes
look on the right side of the window for lower filters
if you do not see lower filters, you may be out of luck on this one.
right click on lower filters
left click on delete
windows will then ask to confirm deletion
click yes
Close all the windows that are open
restart the computer

The CD or DVD should now be recognized. When you insert a disk a window will appear asking you what you want to do with the disk.

Just click what you want to do (play disk). Do not check the box that says: always perform this action when I insert a disk. Or if the box is checked, be sure to un-check the box.

This solution has worked as a cure for many computers that did not recognize an inserted disk. It has not worked 100% of the time.

If the solution does not work, I recommend doing a repair install of windows XP using the original installation disk. This is not a reformat, and will not erase the existing personal files. Do not delete the existing partitions, do not reformat the drive. Instead while installing, read carefully, select "repair existing installation"

How is it possible, if the drive does not recognize a CD, to repair install XP with a disk?
Put the disk in the drive, start the computer, the disk will load temporary drivers to allow the CD to function. Yes, it's amazing!

After doing a repair install, you will need to load your drivers. If you have the original driver disk that was included with the computer, use that disk. If you do not have that disk, download the drivers from the computer manufacturer's website. and install the drivers.