Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PCI Express 1x video cards

Last response: in Components
January 22, 2008 7:31:48 PM

Hi I was wondering if any of you could refer me to any good PCI Express 1x video cards that support HD resolution of 1920x1080.

Thanks!
January 22, 2008 11:13:38 PM

Any 16x card will fit and work in a 1x slot... and will still give you the high resolutions. The only thing that will suffer is gaming performance. To which i assume if you are using a 1x slot you dont want it for gaming.
Related resources
January 22, 2008 11:22:09 PM

chookman said:
Any 16x card will fit and work in a 1x slot... and will still give you the high resolutions. The only thing that will suffer is gaming performance. To which i assume if you are using a 1x slot you dont want it for gaming.

I thought the PCIe x1 were those really small slots?
January 22, 2008 11:45:01 PM

chookman said:

I bought a 16x card after I realized I only had a 1x card and the tech from DELL told me it would not work and I would need a 1x card. I can careless about gaming, I just want it for HD resolutions.

Thanks
January 23, 2008 1:00:55 AM

Evilonigiri said:
I thought the PCIe x1 were those really small slots?

Yes they are the small slots. Although you can install 16x length cards into a 1x length open end slot. If you have the card already, i would compare the slot with the groves in the card... if it slots it will work fine.
January 23, 2008 1:08:09 AM

chookman said:
Yes they are the small slots. Although you can install 16x length cards into a 1x length open end slot. If you have the card already, i would compare the slot with the groves in the card... if it slots it will work fine.

Oh I get it. The only problem I see is *if* you ever install a 8800GTS 512MB on a PCIE x1, the weight might break the slot...

To OP: Perhaps a 2600Pro?
January 23, 2008 2:08:59 AM

Evilonigiri said:
Oh I get it. The only problem I see is *if* you ever install a 8800GTS 512MB on a PCIE x1, the weight might break the slot...

To OP: Perhaps a 2600Pro?

If you bought a 8800GTS 512MB with only a PCI-e1x to install it in i would have said you were crazy simply for the fact that its a gaming card and you will NEVER get the performance from the slow bandwidth on the slot.
January 23, 2008 3:16:36 PM

for starters you will never fit a PCIE16 card in a smaller slot...
don't know what glue yall been sniffing... but it won't fit.
just like you can't put an 8xcard in a 4x slot or a 4x card in a 1xSlot,
the other way around it will work though...

chookman said:

the grove in the card... separates the power channel from the data channel. it isn't so that you can put a 16x card in a 1x slot.

Gone to get chookman some more glue
January 23, 2008 3:40:11 PM

MadHacker said:
for starters you will never fit a PCIE16 card in a smaller slot...
don't know what glue yall been sniffing... but it won't fit.
just like you can't put an 8xcard in a 4x slot or a 4x card in a 1xSlot,
the other way around it will work though...

the grove in the card... separates the power channel from the data channel. it isn't so that you can put a 16x card in a 1x slot.

Gone to get chookman some more glue

You should really check out some information online about it ... as long as the slot on the motherboard is open ended any PCI-e card which is longer, when placed in it, will work fine. All you effect by doing this is the bandwidth available to the card (all a 16x card is, is a 1x with the "data channel" as you describe it, repeated 16 times).

Even if the slot isn't open ended ... you can make it open ended with a sharp knife (making sure to only cut plastic).

If you want some proof of this ... take out your card and tape off (exactly) half the "data channel" connector and plug it back in ... you now have your very own graphics card which can, at most, use PCI-e 8x
January 23, 2008 3:55:19 PM

homerdog said:
If you like to play HD stuff (Bluray) get an HD2600 or an 8600GT. Like this:
SAPPHIRE 100206L Radeon HD 2600PRO 256MB

If not a regular old HD2400 or 8400GS will be enough.

This is the same exact card I orginally bought, but I returned it because when I called DELL to make sure it would work by sticking into the tiny 1x slot the DELL tech told me it would not and I would need a 1x card.

Are you saying this card would work with a 1x slot? If yes, Ill reorder it because I heard good things about this card.
January 23, 2008 4:10:08 PM

Coret
Well I stand Corrected...
not to often I'm wrong... OK maybe I am...
So your right and I'm wrong... still want some glue though? j/k

never even thought of it... cause I was considering buying a PCIE1x card...
Ill just get a cheep 16x card and mod the slot. don't see anything interfering with it...
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 23, 2008 4:39:12 PM

Lou - What the Dell Tech Rep is telling you is correct. He seems to know that your motherboard does not have an open-ended PCI-Ex1 slot. The x16 sized card will not fit without doing a little motherboard mod (as identified by Coret), but I think that would probably invalidate your warranty on the system.

-Wolf sends
January 23, 2008 4:44:26 PM

Wolfshadw said:
Lou - What the Dell Tech Rep is telling you is correct. He seems to know that your motherboard does not have an open-ended PCI-Ex1 slot. The x16 sized card will not fit without doing a little motherboard mod (as identified by Coret), but I think that would probably invalidate your warranty on the system.

-Wolf sends

Thanks, so are there any good 1x cards that support HD resolutions?
January 23, 2008 6:01:11 PM

Check out the cards that ragemonkey linked in the second post. They will output HD signals just fine.
January 23, 2008 8:51:39 PM

That's a funny looking card but it should get the job done.
January 23, 2008 9:21:19 PM

coret said:
Even if the slot isn't open ended ... you can make it open ended with a sharp knife (making sure to only cut plastic).

Haha never thought about doing that, ive always just looked for the open end slot if it wasnt bad luck... but if you were really in a pickle a good knife should do the job.

From what ive seen, motherboards tend not to have open ended 1x slots but the 4x seem to be more commonly open ended
July 9, 2008 1:25:57 PM

Well, here is the fast and dirty method I have had some success with, Take a old PCI Express 16x card and file down the pins 19-22 to make a grove. Plug that puppy into any 1X slot , there ya go... :bounce: 
October 13, 2008 3:28:15 AM

u can fill up as many pcie 1x slots as u want with equivalent low profile pcie 16xcards if the mb supports the sli of that many cards
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200157 use the same cards with low profile brackets or the low profile versions

someone should test this :o 

would need low profile brackets for the pcie1x slots taken up... or unscrew the top screw and snip the top of the bracket off

use 2 pcie 8x/16x low profile versions + StarTech PEX1TO16 PCI-Express x1 to Low Profile x16 Slot Extension Adapter &
2 pcie 8x/16x

i think the spacing for the normal 16x slots is the same as 1x slots so normal sli/xfire bridge will work for the the low profile + extension adapter cards if they are tall enough...

if one pair is taller O.o

not realy sure how the mb bois should be configured...

it would be like 2 agp video cards in sli & 2 normal pcie16x in sli
October 13, 2008 3:31:25 AM

Yea I agree, someone should test this.
February 8, 2009 9:24:47 AM

chookman said:

I was suffering from sloppy graphics performance and popping/cracking sound while scrolling windows. It eventually turned out that my video card wasn't properly inserted, so it only used 1x data transfer (seen using CPU-z).
November 6, 2010 5:34:48 PM

Any 16x card will fit in a 1x slot well Not entirely true.
While they may fit or a mod can be made so they fit.

That doesn't necessarily mean the card will actually work...

my server has open x4 slots, so I stuck a 6600 le and a 8800 gt (16x) cards in and the machine doesn't see the either video card.

I'd like to replace the old pci 2400 pro with something a bit faster and with support for dx 10
maybe a ion from zotec ?

maybe the mod works in your box but not in mine. for those who try this be warned, your results may vary
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 6, 2010 5:41:00 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!