Really Urgent Hard Drive Help! NEW PC Partition Problem!

Guys.. I just built a new pc.. everything worked perfectly.. launched it.. was just about to install my operating system (xp).. my hard drive i 250GB but when i was installing my OS it asked which partition to install it on.. there was only one partition which was 131MB! Can anybody please help me with this?
8 answers Last reply
More about really urgent hard drive help partition problem
  1. try deleting all the partitions on the drive. then you should see more space. or if not, try some sort of drive wiper that also deletes the partition table. i did that to fix a partition problem i had when i first installed xp on my computer.
  2. Uhhh... Wasn't there a bug in XP pre-service pack 1 that would only allow partitions of around 130 GB? (I'm assuming that you meant GB, not MB...)
  3. croc said:
    Uhhh... Wasn't there a bug in XP pre-service pack 1 that would only allow partitions of around 130 GB? (I'm assuming that you meant GB, not MB...)

Nope, I mean MB!
  4. Go with Nik_i's suggestion... Delete, format (I'd do a long format personally) and create new partition.

Many HD MFG's offer tools on their websites to help with this process.
  5. croc said:
    Go with Nik_i's suggestion... Delete, format (I'd do a long format personally) and create new partition.

Many HD MFG's offer tools on their websites to help with this process.

Ok i'll try his suggestion but I dont understand why I have this problem anyway.. brand new pc brand new HD :S
  6. musti33 said:
    Ok i'll try his suggestion but I dont understand why I have this problem anyway.. brand new pc brand new HD :S

Right, you should have ZERO megabytes for partition space because there shouldn't even be a partition there.
  7. Crashman said:
    Right, you should have ZERO megabytes for partition space because there shouldn't even be a partition there.

Exactly.. soo hmm.. should i still try his suggestion and or also any other suggestions? Some XP users had trouble installing XP Operating System on Sata drives but the drives werent recognized at all.. my one is a slightly different problem.. because it is recognized!
  8. musti33 said:
    Exactly.. soo hmm.. should i still try his suggestion and or also any other suggestions? Some XP users had trouble installing XP Operating System on Sata drives but the drives werent recognized at all.. my one is a slightly different problem.. because it is recognized!

The solution would be to delete the partitions and instal XP into unpartitioned space, which will then bring up a menu to ask how big it should make the new partition and you can choose the default (100% of capacity). That is, unless you're using XP prior to SP1, in which case it will over you 128GB.

SATA is not an issue for chipset-integrated controllers, because they can all be set to IDE mode in BIOS. AHCI mode has some advantages but requires you to load a driver using a floppy disk.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Partition Windows XP Storage