top and bottom margins not working

lulu

Hi, re: word program
Something's changed and don't know what caused it.
I have only 0.5 for top & bottom margins in 'page setup' and typing shows up
on screen as close to top & bottom of page BUT on printout is a margin of
3cms.
Annoying when I can't manipulate to fit more on a page.
Also the last line of print is lighter. Is this something to do with a
template being changed? (whatever they do) I've searched in 'Help' (ha) but
you have to know the correct terminology of the cause to get anywhere, it is
hardly ever any help.
Hence I've come here, hoping someone can stop me pulling out more hair.
thanks, LuLu

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 05:49:04 -0700, LuLu wrote:

> Hi, re: word program
> Something's changed and don't know what caused it.
> I have only 0.5 for top & bottom margins in 'page setup' and typing shows up
> on screen as close to top & bottom of page BUT on printout is a margin of
> 3cms.
> Annoying when I can't manipulate to fit more on a page.
> Also the last line of print is lighter. Is this something to do with a
> template being changed? (whatever they do) I've searched in 'Help' (ha) but
> you have to know the correct terminology of the cause to get anywhere, it is
> hardly ever any help.
> Hence I've come here, hoping someone can stop me pulling out more hair.
> thanks, LuLu

Are you allowing for the print margins required by the printer? These are
usually noted in the printer's manual.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 05:49:04 -0700, LuLu wrote:

> Hi, re: word program
> Something's changed and don't know what caused it.
> I have only 0.5 for top & bottom margins in 'page setup' and typing shows up
> on screen as close to top & bottom of page BUT on printout is a margin of
> 3cms.
> Annoying when I can't manipulate to fit more on a page.
> Also the last line of print is lighter. Is this something to do with a
> template being changed? (whatever they do) I've searched in 'Help' (ha) but
> you have to know the correct terminology of the cause to get anywhere, it is
> hardly ever any help.
> Hence I've come here, hoping someone can stop me pulling out more hair.
> thanks, LuLu

PS: With Word you also need to allow for header and footer areas.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

lulu

Thanks Sharon,
I've previously printed pages close to the top and bottom of the page, it
tells me when I've made the margins too narrow for the printer (the left and
right are behaving themselves!). The pale print of bottom line may be a clue
as to what is going on. I'll keep searching around help. I've never used
the headers and footers, I thought of them so changed the setting very low to
0.5cm but it made zilch difference.
regards LuLu, will be back if I solve it (I won't hold my breath).
I think I'll do an on-line course next year, the computer courses available
where I am just don't cover what I need. Ulladulla, New South Wales,
Australia
(if they're not too expensive)

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 05:49:04 -0700, LuLu wrote:
>
> > Hi, re: word program
> > Something's changed and don't know what caused it.
> > I have only 0.5 for top & bottom margins in 'page setup' and typing shows up
> > on screen as close to top & bottom of page BUT on printout is a margin of
> > 3cms.
> > Annoying when I can't manipulate to fit more on a page.
> > Also the last line of print is lighter. Is this something to do with a
> > template being changed? (whatever they do) I've searched in 'Help' (ha) but
> > you have to know the correct terminology of the cause to get anywhere, it is
> > hardly ever any help.
> > Hence I've come here, hoping someone can stop me pulling out more hair.
> > thanks, LuLu
>
> PS: With Word you also need to allow for header and footer areas.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Hi, LuLu.

Have you tried one of the dozens of Word-specific discussion groups? Go
back to the index page and you should find them, probably under Office.

Or, just click here:

Unless blocked by something like a corporate firewall, that one click should
start Outlook Express, create a News Account for the Microsoft public news
server, connect you to the .word.newusers newsgroup, download the 300 latest
headers, and preview the latest one for you. Then you can click Tools |
Newsgroups..., download the list of over 2,000 groups, and type ".word"
(without the quotes) into the "Display groups which contain" box at the top
and see about 40 groups, mostly in English. Another group that might fit
your problem is .word.pagelayout. You can also customize OE to suit
yourself; check the many tabs on the Tools | Options... page.

The messages you see there are the same ones you see in Discussion Groups,
so you should be able to find your original post and the responses from
Sharon (and me).

Most experienced users of these groups prefer the newsreader interface,
rather than the Web-based interface. Your choice is up to you. ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX