Overclocking q6600 to 3.0ghz

texazon

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
My pieces should arrive anytime now, and I am new to overclocking, but my question is.

Is overclocking a q6600 to 3.0 ghz with a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler a very safe overclock?

Thanks

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

Nope.
The stresstest consisted of having a horde of hardcore gamers abuse the system for a whole week (most of the time without sleep - at least that's what i have been told). I did run a short test of Orthos and Prime and it worked fine at the given VID value.

Craxbax

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
No need to change the vcore or any of the other voltages. Leave them on auto for now. Lock the PCI-e at 100 or 101 though. Changing the FSB to 333 is almost a free OC on a Q6600.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007

the point of Prime95 is not to test it for a short time. that's the whole point of Primte95, thats why its called a torture test as it stresses all the core at 100%. most computer with tolerable OC-ing changes in bios would POST and boot up to windows, but how long it'll remain stable is another issue, hence why people that OC run prime95 for at least 8 hours, if not more...some even going to 24 hours.

when you OC- it is imperative that you check your system for stability after OC-ing if you ensure you can use your system on a daily basis, you don't want BSODs left and right.

the 3.0ghz mark on the Q6600 is not hard to achieve and can be done with minimal effort but it also depends on the VID of the chip, not all chips are made equally. i've OC-ed my friends to 3.0ghz also and i left everything at stock voltages because his VID was low, it could be different for other chips.

gillagad

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Okay I'm a noob at this. I set it ast 333MHz in BIOS though when I load CPU-Z or Core Temps it starts out saying 333MHz x9 Multiplier then drops to x6 and seems to go back to x9 when the CPU is in use. Am I correct in assuming this some sort of power saving function? Also I notice CPU-Z and Core Temps aren't always in agreement about the Core Speed and Multiplier, which should I trust?

dragoncyber

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
The Go Stepping version of a Q6600 has no issues hitting 3.6 ghz with the correct motherboard and HighEnd Aircooler, and running stable all day everyday at a vcore of 1.45v. Thats a FSB running @ 1600 mhz however (400) so make sure you have a board to support that.

When I say a "HighEnd" Aircooler I mean the best of the best. Research it thoroughly before you buy. I am using A Ultra ThermalTec cooler which works very well , this cooler is 150.00 dollars presently though you may find it @ 130.00 through various vendors, Xigmatec and the tuniq tower are the only other ones I would consider at that frequency if you are doing Air.

I know this is stable because I game on it every night for 6-8 hours without crashes, so goodluck.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

turn off the EIST ?? in the bios that is intel's power management thingy,controls cpu speeds automatically not needed for ov'clocking...:>)

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

You are missing the point.

Prime95 is not the holy grail of hardware testing but merely a tool and as a tool it can be used for various purposes. Just because you ran Prime for 10 days on your overclocked system without a crash doesn't mean it is stable. It just means "This computer can run Prime for 10 days without crashing".

I wanted to see how fast the temperature rises. It leveled out at about 47-48 C° after roughly 10 minutes. That's what i wanted to know, that's why i started it and that's what it did. Nothing else.
Meaning: The Cooler is seated properly.

Amazing, isn't it? Some even run it for days or weeks. Heck, i swear i've read about people buying hardware just to run prime on it.
That is pretty pointless though. There are more things to take into account than running prime to assure the stability of a serious overclock. Prime can aid you but it is not really testing the overal system stability.
Going from 2.4 to 3 on a Q6600 G0 is hardly a serious overclock. A blind monkey can push core 2 for 25% without trouble.

Alein

Distinguished
May 15, 2007
I am running a q6600 go stepping @ 3735 (415x9) with liquid cooling. It has been running solid for over 6month like this with not issues. I believe also I have my core voltage at 1.45. I know I use to have the specs for the q6600 and the max voltage according to Intel is 1.5