Which antivirus is best for xp

Panda Internet Security 2010. You can order it on Amazon for about $10-20 per 3 computers per year. There are many reasons why it works better than a free download security system. And it really is worth the price when you look at the amount of security it provides.
Another good one is Norton 360, but the overall protection level is not as high.

At least his advice here was sound. Panda and Norton are respectable security vendors. Just because he is way wrong on the updates issue doesn't make him wrong everywhere.

Perhaps I'm being unfair to him but you must admit that an opinion such as his on Automatic Updates will tend to bias people's views on his ability to post on security matters. Given that any package worth its salt will have adapted to fit fully updated systems, it's actually hard to see how it could operate properly in an outdated SP1 installation.

I'm with you on Panda but as a frequent user of the Norton Removal Tool, I can't support any Symantec security product. I'dd rather recommend AVG in either its free form or as AVGAS Internet Security. It's a little cumbersome and over-protective but that's a trade-off for its abilities.

That is correct, no MS security updates of any kind in my personal computer, automatic updates turned off permanently. Although this is a matter left up to the individual.
If you study the issue, you will discover that Panda addresses security vulnerabilities without the Microsoft updates, and works quite well without them. In fact according to my experience, works better than the microsoft solutions.

Having fixed quite a lot of computers attacked by viruses, almost all of them had every MS update installed, and also had anti virus installed. That did not stop them from being infected. By far, the majority attacked successfully had McAfee installed.

The panda system which has the 360 feature (same as norton 360) as one layer of the panda protection. Another layer is a heuristic and behavioral monitor that identifies unknown threats. This is combined with known threat detection, panda firewall (replaces windows firewall) identity protection, vulnerability protection, anti spam protection.
While many other systems are based on eliminating threats that have entered the computer, the panda system adds a layer to block the threat from entering the system in the first place. This is called Tru Prevent technology.

I've experimented with several different AVs. First, you have to realize that none are 100% effective. It isn't necessary to pay for a security suite. Most of what you are paying for is added optimization tools. You can get the same kind of protection from freeware.

I used Norton 360 on one of my PCs in 2009 and this year. I liked some of the features, but it's not worth the cost. The protection is no better than freeware.

I've never used the full version of Panda, but I have used the free version. I wasn't impressed. The scanner failed to pick up 2 infections that Avast and Malwarebytes both caught.

Avira was very good. It has an annoying pop-up when it updates, but that can be disabled. I liked the internet security. I was pretty happy with the quality of the malware scanner, and has live updates. I uninstalled it because it started failing when it tried to update.

I've since switched to Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast on my PCs. Not both at the same time, but I use one or the other on all of them. In combination with Malwarebytes, they provide great security, great malware scans, live updates (except malwarebytes is manual), and all three programs are free.