Monitor or Graphics Card?

daleyboy

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Gday ppls,

Have been having a weird occurrence with my pc over the past few days.

After the pc has been on for a while a vertical column (top to bottom & approx 1/4 width of screen) on the screen starts to distort. Usually IT starts with the piCture distorting and droping away kinda like a rain fade effect, until it eventually goes one solid colour (generally black or green).

Restarting the pc straight away sometimes gets rid of it .. but a shutdown for 5-10 mins gets rid of it every time.

I noticed that my monitor (19" lcd - phillips 190b) was getting rather warmish so i have placed a small fan behind it which seems to help prevent the problem.

I'm pretty sure its me monitor thats on the way out as its about 4-5yrs old now and has had extensive use in a warmish room. Just wanting to get the opinion of others ... and of course i cant test another monitior as the only other one i have is an old CRT with no dvi inputs (which is all i have on the pc)

Also .. if i do a print screen it does not pick up the distortion

parabola

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
Sorry for you troubles...I would say that it is the monitor given the age and what you have described. Plug another monitor in to trouble shoot and be sure. That would be the best way to handle it. Take another monitor home from work?

_Morphine_

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
You could just pick up a couple of DVI to VGA adapters and test with your CRT. That would seem like the cheapest route to test given your circumstances.

Last time I had similar issues the mainboard on my CRT was bad.

daleyboy

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007

bloody good idea that ... cheers mate

TRENDING THREADS