Sign in with
Your question

Best MB/Processor for DIY NAS Server

Last response: in Motherboards
February 16, 2008 5:40:30 PM

I'm interested in building a NAS, using a HW-based disk controller like the Areca-1220. I might like to use OpenSolaris/ZFS or perhaps FreeNAS. What would be a good motherboard/processor combination. How much ram? I'd like to have enough HP for the CPU so that it would not be the limiting factor in performance, without overdoing it too much. (I.e. I'd like to get enough performance from the CPU so the overall performance would be limited by the disk contoller and the gigabit ethernet port.)

Thanks for your advise.
February 17, 2008 10:02:19 PM

Thanks, did you consider the Athalon vs. Intel Core 2 Duo, or did you just prefer AMD in general?

That seems like a good MB without too much extra stuff that would need to be disabled in a server. I usually use ASUS mb's myself. Do you know if you get 16 (or at least 8) channels from the PCIe x16 slot if you use the on-board video, or will it compete for the same PCIe channels. I understand that some MB's that have 2 x16 slots will share the channels if you use both, so each get x8 electrically, but I don't know if the same need to share would apply to on-board video (which presumably uses PCIe).

Do you know if the onboard lan port does 1G w jumbo frames, or would you disable it and put in a lan card that did?
Related resources
February 17, 2008 11:15:43 PM

Yes I chose that because ot the low power usage. since it will run 24/7 having a low power system will end up saving alot of money each year.

Not sure how many lanes it has but it does have 10/100/1000Mbps lan speeds.

intel also has some good cpu that with a TDP of 65W but they do not have a good chipset with onboard video, like the AMD 690
February 17, 2008 11:28:04 PM

Wow Areca 1220 raid 6 overkill for a nas. If this is going into a large production area with over 100 users get a board with the ability to have lots of memory. A Cpu with the memory controller built in would be a plus.

For home I would do a nice little raid 5 setup with a cheap celeron and cheap board. Linux would be good here.
February 18, 2008 12:07:09 AM

bobbknight said:
Wow Areca 1220 raid 6 overkill for a nas. If this is going into a large production area with over 100 users get a board with the ability to have lots of memory. A Cpu with the memory controller built in would be a plus.

For home I would do a nice little raid 5 setup with a cheap celeron and cheap board. Linux would be good here.

I planned to use part of the nas to offload the video files I'm storing now on my mythtv server, so I figured I needed a hw-based raid controller to get enough throughput for real-time video capture. I was also going to use it for other files that I'd like to protect against disk failure, but I was only going to do raid5 not 6.
February 18, 2008 12:17:12 AM

you can get boards with the same chip set with a x4 and x16 pci-e slot for the same price
the x4 slot is good for a raid card and you can put a low end video card in the x16 slot.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or a nforce board with tcp / ip offload and teaming.

nforce boards
!