Sign in with
Your question

[Solved] Power cable needed for NVIDIA 8600 GT?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 18, 2008 1:15:35 AM

I ordered up a NVIDIA 8600 GT 256MB graphics card. It came with a power cable, and I expected it to. Not having too much experience installing and peice of hardware, I connected the cable to the mobo on the only place open. The card worked just fine. Come to find out, I could not save any settings in the bios as I attempted to reset the boot order to the CD drive as being the first in the boot order. Configure, back to default. Configure back to default. I was on the phone with Dell tech for a good hour. Not a bad experience either, just time. They could not get the boot order to save, or save any settings with me on the phone either.

It should also be mentioned that I purposely ordered the graphics card through Dell to insure it would be compatible with my machine to avoid exactly what is now happening. Incidentally, the card was one of the upgrade options as I populated how I wanted my new computer to be built.

Solution? New mobo. Sounded reasonable to me. The tech was promptly dispatched and troubleshooted the problem as being the cable for the graphics card being connected to the bios boot jumper, not where it should be. The graphics card would not work at all not being connected. He tested that. I saw it. He got on the phone with Dell tech as he could not find any other place to connect the external cable for the graphics card, where I'm at right now with this.

Currently, my new card is not installed as I do not wish to connect the cable where it was, messing with the bios setting even though the card worked just fine from there. It's sitting right there, begging to run my City of Heroes game...lol. I got a new mobo out of the techs visit at least. He was there to replace the mobo, so that is what he did.

My questions and my problem is:

1) Where on the mobo do I connect the damn cable?
2) Is it necessary to connect the cable?
3) Does the NVIDIA 8600 GT have to use the external cable to operate?
4) Can the card run off of the PCI slot exclusively even though the cable came with the NVIDIA 8600 GT?

My General Motherboard Information :
Manufacturer : Dell Inc. (Dell)
Product : 0RY206
Version : ÿÿÿ
Serial Number : ..CN698617B702CD.
Support MP : Yes, 2 CPU(s)
Version MPS : 1.4

Thank you all in advace for you answers. Before I get on the phone with Dell, again, I would like to have some educated amunition from you pro's. They started to walk me through the graphics card "re-install" today on the phone but unfortunately I was not at my computer, so I had to hold off. I thought I would reach out here first before calling. If you need more information to troubleshoot, please do not hesitate to ask. I I plan to be very attentive to this thread. :hello: 

Thank you,
January 18, 2008 1:58:54 AM

Not sure about Dells but I have an OC 512MB version of the 8600GT and it doesn't have a power cable. Ive sold several other 8600GT and none have had power cables.
Don't need them!
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2008 2:31:56 AM

Where on earth are you connecting a cable to the MB??? You have to post a picture of this!
Related resources
January 18, 2008 3:16:41 AM

Thanks for the reply. Is is possible Asus packages the cable by default then?
martyjs said:
Not sure about Dells but I have an OC 512MB version of the 8600GT and it doesn't have a power cable. Ive sold several other 8600GT and none have had power cables.
Don't need them!

January 18, 2008 3:20:50 AM

As I wrote in my post, the tech told me I connected to the bios jumper. I will take a picture and post when I reinstall the graphics card. Where I connected is located on the outside of the mobo connected to a blue something with two pins. It worked is all I know, except for messing with the bios, not letting me save anything like the boot order, disabling the A:\ floppy. (I don't have a floppy and wanted to just disable it)
nvalhalla said:
Where on earth are you connecting a cable to the MB??? You have to post a picture of this!

January 18, 2008 3:43:15 AM

not quite sure exactly what you mean, you should just be able to drop in your new card. but you don't need to hook anything else to the card from inside the pc. now you will have to move the monitor cable to your new video card
January 18, 2008 4:36:52 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am saying that the card came with an a external cable and at this point I'm unsure if I need to use it. From these replies it sounds like I do not need to connect an external cable to operate the graphics card. There is a fan on the card. I am thinking the external cable is the power supply for the fan then?

crazywheels said:
not quite sure exactly what you mean, you should just be able to drop in your new card. but you don't need to hook anything else to the card from inside the pc. now you will have to move the monitor cable to your new video card

January 18, 2008 8:25:48 AM

On all the cards I've used and fitted in recent times the fan is ran of a plug on the Video cards PCB.
January 19, 2008 6:06:05 PM

I just looked at the card again. I do see the fan and a cable connecting to the pcb. There is also an external cable that came with the card. There's a two pin connector on the pcb. What would that be used for? Do I even need to connect the external cable at all? I guess I should install the card, then troubleshoot from there if I have any problems. I will report back with what happens after I install the card to the PCI slot.
January 22, 2008 4:29:36 AM

The card does not work if not connected. the monitor does not pick up the signal, just the test box is floating around. the latest 8 series driver has been installed 12.20.07.

Are there two different 8600 GT cards? One that does require a connection using an external cable, and one that does not?

Help please...
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 22, 2008 5:49:09 AM
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2008 6:19:46 AM

Ah, you nailed it WR2. it's the SPDIF cable he is talking about. It's used to route audio to the card when using the HDMI out.

Edit: parabola, If you are just using DVI or VGA to a computer monitor, you should not need to worry about that cable. If you use the HDMI output adaptor, you need to plug that cable into the SPDIF output on your motherboard (if using integrated sound) or your sound card (if you have one). The bad news is, your mobo may not have the right audio output. The 8600GT does not have an integrated audio controller so you must use this cable to get sound when using HDMI out.
January 22, 2008 8:58:30 AM

pauldh said:
I have never seen an 8600GT with an external power connector. The 8600GTS has the extra 6-pin pci-e power connector on the end of the card. Look at these pics: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/486/4/

Here is a GT and GTS in the same pic. Note the connector on the end of the GTS. http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2970&p=4

Any chance you can post of pic of your card?

Thanks for the help guys. It's really late, and I just caught the replies here. Great idea on taking a picture. I will do that tomorrow and post it here for sure, tomorrow! Thanks again for all the help, much appreciated. :D 
January 22, 2008 10:13:59 AM

Didn't the card arrive with a quick setup folder or something?
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2008 10:39:37 AM

Put the jumper back to where you removed it from.
If you don't remember, look at the motherboard schematic.
January 22, 2008 12:48:47 PM

rosu9801 said:
Didn't the card arrive with a quick setup folder or something?
Thanks for the reply. I am not sure if you have been following this whole thread or not, but the instructions that came with the Asus NVIDIA 8600 GT said to connect to mobo. The only available 2 pin connector on the whole mobo turns out to be the bios jumper. Connecting there resets any bios settings. The machine works fine, just cannot save settings, etc. Not the right place to connect. Even the Dell tech confirmed this. Thank you...

a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2008 12:52:48 PM

You hooked the video card up to the cmos jumper on the mobo???

Unless your motherboard has an SPDIF output (to do with the integrated sound) or you add a soundcard that has one, you won't be connecting that cable. If you don't use the HDMI out adapter, it won't matter anyway.
January 22, 2008 12:54:40 PM

evongugg said:
Put the jumper back to where you removed it from.
If you don't remember, look at the motherboard schematic.

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure if you have been following this whole thread or not, but
the instructions that came with the Asus NVIDIA 8600 GT said to connect
to mobo. The only available 2 pin connector on the whole mobo turns
out to be the bios jumper. Connecting there resets any bios settings.
The machine works fine, just cannot save settings, etc. Not the right
place to connect. Even the Dell tech confirmed this.

I never originally disconnected any cable. This is a new install so I never removed the cable to begin with. I wish it was as simple as just putting the cable back.

It should also be noted that I am not a novice when it comes to Windows, PC's, software, etc. I am not saying I know more than most of you here. I know more than most dare to know period...lol. I like to apply myself, and have when it comes to personal computing and Windows OS's.

Thanks again all for your kind replies trying to help. I will report back with some pictures of my card, etc. Maybe that will help. :sol: 
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2008 1:08:17 PM

Argh! Remove the spdif cable altogether, it is doing you no good hooked up to the clr cmos jumper pins. :pt1cable: 
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 22, 2008 8:10:50 PM

Like Pauldh mentions if you're plugging in the 2 pin cable that came with it, that is for digital audio only, and should only be plugged into an SPDIF connection, which is usually found on stand-alone audio cards and not on most MoBos.

Plugging it into the CMOS reset/conf jumpers might not only do 'no good' it might do harm.

I agree with paul, unplug whatever you think it is, until you can provide a clear picture of what exactly you're plugging in to whatever else.

So far your descriptions don't make sense from what we're expecting, so until you have some picures, better safe than sorry.
January 22, 2008 9:34:09 PM

It's not a power cable.
What is SPDIF?

SPDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interconnect Format) is a digital audio format, and is also referred to as S/PDIF, S/P-DIF, and IEC 958 type II.

SPDIF is used for transporting stereo digital audio signals on PC audio cards, CD players, DVD players, car audio systems, and other systems which transmit or receive stereo digital audio.

For S/PDIF, two 192 bit blocks (left and right channel data) is divided into 12 words of 16 bits each. The first 6 bits of the first word are a control code.
January 22, 2008 9:35:46 PM

oops to late. :ange:  Didn't read the other post properly. :ange: 
January 23, 2008 5:50:50 AM

Here is my Asus NVIDIA 8600 GT 256MB graphics card:

Notice the (2 pin connector) jumper cable connected to the board. I really hope this helps.

Thank you...
January 23, 2008 6:01:05 AM

martyjs said:
oops to late. :ange:  Didn't read the other post properly. :ange: 

No problem. Thanks for your interest and help...

January 23, 2008 6:06:55 AM

pauldh said:
Argh! Remove the spdif cable altogether, it is doing you no good hooked up to the clr cmos jumper pins. :pt1cable: 

Exactly. I have done that, and that's where I'm at now. Just installing the card as all have suggested does not work. After booting the monitor does not even pick up the signal. The test box just floats around.

After removing the card and going with the original integrated video, rebooting, the monitor immediately picks up the signal and I have video just like I did before ever installing the NVIDIA card. Of course the test box that floats around is no longer present because I have a signal without the NVIDIA 8600 GT card installed. Make sense?

Is everyone following this ok? There's a lot written. Do I need to re-cap? Let me know.

HELP!!!! ...lol. :hello: 
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2008 10:37:39 AM

Remove the SPDIF cable and put the jumper back the way it was before. Note if you put it wrong it will be continously resetting the Bios.
You need to go in the Bios and set the video to PCI-Express, save, shutdown.
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2008 11:46:40 AM

Alright, Gotcha.

First it sounds to me like the clr cmos where you did connect that cable to your mobo is just two pins and originally had no jumper on it. Is that right? It's important to know as if it's 3 pins and you removed a jumper pin you should get it back in the right spot. Dell may do that unlike most mobos you buy where there are 3 pins and a jumper on two of them. It's storage for the jumper until you move it to the clr position. But again, Dell may have just two pins and not supply a jumper for clearing.

Assuming that is the case, your 8600GT is only working when the bios is being cleared (jumped to CLR). Putting a jumper pin or carefully touching the two pins with a screwdriver would have the same effect. Testing this show you that the card doesn't need the spdif cable hooked up to work, but instead the mobo needs the clr cmos jumped to work which you in effect did with the spdif cable (hence your bios settings won't save). That would be helpful to assure Dell and yourself you do not need the spdif cable to use the card.

So it seems to me that what you need to do is go into the bios and figure out how to disable the integrated video AND also make the PCI-e slot the first place it checks for video. Dell should be able to help you get it to recognize a PCI-e card and if you tested the above you eliminate the 8600GT and it's two pin cable from the problem...so it's like any other pci-e card. It may be set to PCI not pci-e.

edit: (I hesitate even to mention this but will). On the other hand, if for some strange reason the system won't work with the 8600GT installed while testing with a clr cmos jumper pin in place (clearing the cmos) like mentioned above, then it seems the 8600GT needs the pins connected. I highly doubt it's the case, but if that's what those tests show, I would then and only then would try a jumper on the 8600gt's two pins to see if that is the case. Sounds dumb, but it eliminates that as the problem and should not do harm when you already jumped them through the cmos anyway connecting that cable.

To recap...Steps I would do being in your shoes now. First check bios and see if there is another setting that sets the PCI-e 16x slot as the first check for video. Second put a spare jumper pin on the mobo's clr cmos pins and see if the 8600GT still works just like whent he spdif cable was installed doing the jumping. If it works, go back to Dell and say it's not the 8600GT or the spdif cable, how do I get the mobo to first check video from the pCI-e slot (intall a pci-e video card). If it doesn't work, then I'd *rolleyes* jump the pins on the 8600GT and see if the card works then just to eliminate that is not why it worked for you jumping it through the cable.

Anyway, good luck. What is the model number for this dell? Any numbers on the mobo so we can google more info on the bios settings? This would be helpful.
January 24, 2008 2:10:48 AM

evongugg said:
Remove the SPDIF cable and put the jumper back the way it was before. Note if you put it wrong it will be continously resetting the Bios.
You need to go in the Bios and set the video to PCI-Express, save, shutdown.

Thanks evongugg,

There is not anything to put back the way it was before. This is a new card. The SPDIF cable is not attached to anything on my mobo/PC. For illustration purposes, I attached the cable to the card in the picture. At this time the card is not installed at all. At the time of this post, the card will not work on it's own when installed in the PCI slot.
January 24, 2008 2:34:39 AM

Thanks so much pauldh.

First it sounds to me like the clr cmos where you did connect that
cable to your mobo is just two pins and originally had no jumper on it.
Is that right?

said:
First it sounds to me like the clr cmos where you did connect that
cable to your mobo is just two pins and originally had no jumper on it.
Is that right?

Yes, this is correct.

It's important to know as if it's 3 pins and you removed a jumper pin
you should get it back in the right spot. Dell may do that unlike most
mobos you buy where there are 3 pins and a jumper on two of them. It's
storage for the jumper until you move it to the clr position. But
again, Dell may have just two pins and not supply a jumper for
clearing.

said:
It's important to know as if it's 3 pins and you removed a jumper pin
you should get it back in the right spot. Dell may do that unlike most
mobos you buy where there are 3 pins and a jumper on two of them. It's
storage for the jumper until you move it to the clr position. But
again, Dell may have just two pins and not supply a jumper for
clearing.

The jumper is two pins (male) and they are exposed on the mobo. I never removed a jumper pin. I only connected the one end of the included with new graphics card external SPDIF cable - two holes (female)

I think you are 100% correct that the card only works when the CMOS is being cleared. Need to test.

Everything you said makes perfect sense to me. It was so clearly written it's as if the card miraculously just installed itself! ...lol. I will give it a go. I will start trouble shooting and report back. Thank you again! :bounce: 

Some system specs you requested from my fave app - PC Wizard 2008...

Mainboard:
General Information :
Manufacturer : Dell Inc. (Dell)
Product : 0RY206
Version : ÿÿÿ
Serial Number : ..CN698617B702CD.
Support MP : Yes, 2 CPU(s)
Version MPS : 1.4

Chassis Information :
Manufacturer : Dell Inc.
Type : Desktop
Version : Chassis Version
Serial Number : Unspecified
Asset : PASS:12/34

On-Board Device Information :
Embedded Controller : Yes

Slots Information :
Slot PCI : Available (32-bit) 5.0v
Slot PCI : In Use (32-bit) 5.0v
Slot PCI-Express : Available (x16) 5.0v
Slot PCI-Express : Available (x1) 5.0v

Please let me know if you need any additional information on my box. I will post soon with my new findings from the trouble shooting techniques you recommended. :whistle: 

Thank you,

January 26, 2008 7:01:49 AM

Is everyone bored with my graphics card issue? Still with me? Ok, I just spent 2 hours on the phone with Dell tech support. First of all, the mobo is simply not reading the card. We went into the bios to change the settings for the PCI slot, and disable the integrated card. There's no option at all to change any card which means the mobo is certainly not reading the card at all. The monitor was set to auto detect and we tried manually changing the monitor settings to digital. Dell is sending me a new card. I'll report back after I install the new card. Damnit, I just baught Crysis too, wanted to play it this weekend. Horrible!
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2008 12:00:24 PM

Good luck and let us know how the new one works out. Leave the SPDIF cable out altogether this time. ;) 

It always comes in handy to have spare parts around for testing. Hopefully it's the card. I don't know, but if it is not the card, then you probably paid too much for it buying from Dell and their tech support has been unable to help you. You would have been better off returning the card to Dell and buying it locally. That way if it didn't work you could return it same day for your money back.
January 27, 2008 12:22:15 AM

Thanks for the reply. I did not pay too much for the card. I researched ahead of time as I am not naive. I purchase through Dell because their support team is incredibly helpful, and knowledgeable. Their return policies are also above industry standard. I am completely satisfied with my Dell experience and will do it all again in a few years when I upgrade my PC. It is not costing me anything to get a new card shipped. And it will not cost me anything if I need to have a tech on the phone again. I realize that Dell is not for everyone, but for me, I will not go through another company, supplier or website - ever.
January 27, 2008 12:54:11 AM

in the bios there should be a setting for graphics adapter or something like that. choices may be igp,pcie etc..let us know if you can find any options about that.
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2008 12:10:09 PM

I wasn't assuming you were naive. You had just mentioned you were sure to buy from Dell to keep their support. That and I daily shop for video cards and know very often you could do way better prices than Dell for upgrades. If you paid about the same as newegg, that's good for you. Then it just comes down to whether the 8600Gt was the right card. Example a $60AR HD2600XT is typically a little better performer.

I have some customers who used to deal with Dell for higher end systems and are absolutelty blow away by my build quality and support vs what they got from Dell. But that's a-whole-nother topic and I'm glad you are happy with Dell. Obviously good to stick to what works well for you. We see a whole lot here that aren't happy but that's more based on them buying a budget system that Dell decided to make virtually non-upgradeable then finding out their new rig can't game or be upgraded. Blame is 50/50 I guess inthose cases as they should have researched.

Anyway, good luck. Hope it was the card. If not you may change you opinion on Dell. ;) 
January 28, 2008 3:22:23 AM

eagles453809 said:
in the bios there should be a setting for graphics adapter or something like that. choices may be igp,pcie etc..let us know if you can find any options about that.

Yes exactly. The pcie, igp or anything to that effect is simply not showing in the bios. Just to be sure, I checked every single setting looking for it. I am waiting for a new card at this time. I will report back. Thanks for helping!
February 1, 2008 4:30:13 AM

I'm not sure if I can help, I'm bit of a novice.

I bought a GF8600GT card and installed it and it works fine.

It doesn’t need any extra power cables, it just slots in the PCI express slot. The 8600 manuals seem to refer to cables applicable to a higher spec card.

On my system I had to go into BIOS and change the setting for graphics. If I recall, the choices were onboard, PCI and something like 'PEG'. It was PEG which needed to be chosen, not the PCI. That setting told the system to check the PCI express slot first for graphics in case I have multiple graphics cards installed.

It sounds as if the onboard graphics are being switched off, but that the new card is not being recognised or has been possibly fried with the power connecting thing you were doing before.

I got the same symptoms of no video signal when I previously tried installing a modem card into one of the standard PCI slots. Due to the BIOS settings it was trying to use that as a video card, and the result was no video at all.

So in short, the GF8600 needs no additional power cable and my guess is the lack of video output is related to BIOS settings or some sort of damage from your power connection attempts.
a c 176 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 1, 2008 5:15:45 AM

Did you ever try running the card WITHOUT the wires attached? I can't recall ever seeing a card with those pins up there, though I don't normally look at 8600GT reviews. If the card only works if those are jumpered close, then perhaps you can just remove the wires, or put a jumper on it. (grab one from the back of an old hdd or optical drive.) Something to keep in mind if you have the same problem with the new card.
February 2, 2008 12:34:11 AM

THE NEW CARD WORKS JUST FINE!!!

Ok, here's the skinny, the fat of the matter. Thank you all for your input as I must say I gleaned value from each of your replies. After a long troubleshooting session with dell last Friday it was agreed that the only option would be to start over with a new card since all of the trouble shooting procedures were not working. My replacement graphics card arrived today! I just popped it in the PCI slot, without connecting the provided jumper cable which we all determined to be for use with the SPDIF, etc. After firing up the computer, everything worked as if the card came factory installed. No adjustments were needed in the bios to read said card or in the windows settings either. There must have been something wrong with the card all along or i must have fried something when connecting to the bios jumper the first time. Either way...It's all good!

Thank you!
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2008 2:41:16 AM

Good deal. Enjoy & happy gaming!
February 2, 2008 5:07:08 AM

pauldh said:
Good deal. Enjoy & happy gaming!

For sure pauldh! Yeah, the very first thing I did after I knew I was golden was load the files from desktop for my MMO = City of Heroes, and get online in the game. O M G, how I missed that card (even though it was working when plugged into the bios jumper..lol) Looking back now, I have learned so much. If I had to do it over again, I would not change a thing because I learned so much along the journey. Thanks so much!
February 2, 2008 5:40:39 AM

i had this kind of problem when i first hooked up my 7600gt. what i did is i uninstalled my previous fx-5700 driver and then switched my pc off and installed 7600 and it ran fine.. i dont know much but u can try it
February 2, 2008 7:33:13 AM

Thanks for the reply redwine01. In my last post I explained that my graphics card issues have been resolved. It's all good now.
February 17, 2008 12:15:44 AM

You guy's are going to think I'm nutzo. Well, for starters, I am...lol. As I mentioned, after installing the 8600GT replacement card that Dell without question re-sent to me, the NVIDIA 8600GT worked perfectly after plopping it in the ole PCIe slot. It has been working great!

In fact, My system devours Crysis! And has been ever since I installed the card this time without connecting the (included in packaging) external cable to the BIOS/CHMOS jumper on the mobo. Well...I am really sick. I have the gaming bug as it turns out.. Really bad now. My favorite game...I started to play Crysis, and all without incident, but I have been left wondering what kind of gaming experience would I have with a new card? A better card. A new card like the familiar NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB? No need for me to wonder anymore. Today I won an auction on ebay for a NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB graphics card bought for $192.35. Retail is $260.00 through websites such as Tiger Direct. Yep, they go for $260.00 (shipping included) Not too bad. So I saved a little coin, and the card will be here before next weekend. Good. A nice little upgrade wouldn't you say?

Still with me? I hope you like my little story...

Anyway, my question...Will it or should it be the same process where I just fit the new 8800GT graphics card into the PCIe slot and presto, all is a go? Just like the 8600GT? Installing without an external power cable of any kind?

Is there an external cable needed for the 8800GT graphics card?

I am thinking an external power cable is not needed for this install either. And it's simply a matter of plug & play, just like the 8600GT was after all my troubles.

Thanks in advance for your input, and for staying with me. You guys have been great, and I owe a lot of my new learning on how to properly install a graphics card to you all. :ouch:  Thanks too for reading my long winded post,...Ah hem...
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2008 12:23:27 AM

The 8800GT uses a 6-pin PCI-e power cable off your power supply. Adapters are available that plug into regular 4 pin molex connectors, but typically if the power supply doesn't ahve PCI-e power cables, it probably doesn't have enough 12v power for a upper end gaming card anyway.

Oh, and the 8800GT at it's max playable settings will offer about 200% (3 times) the performance or more of the 8600GT. Huge upgrade.

Edit: here is a review that compares GF8's. You can see just what your upgrade can offer you.
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=710&p=2

And it seems according to that review. 4x performance is more typical not the 3x+ I stated. Monster upgrade, enjoy.

March 13, 2008 11:53:55 PM

Hi, this is an interesting thread. I am having a somewhat similar problem. I recently got an EVGA Geforce 8600GTS as a REPLACEMENT to my EVGA GeForce 7600GT when it stopped working randomly. I installed the new replacement card (that doesn't look new, btw, so not sure if it's refurbished or what) without any knowledge of an extra power cable just for the video card (is this true?). It has been running fine, except some pauses in NFS:Most Wanted demo and today it crashed twice. I just bought 2gigs of ram today on NewEgg since I am running Vista with only 1gig and Vista is a memory pig, thinking that might help the pauses in the game. I have not installed the 2gigs yet (still running only on 1gig.) However, turning the computer on just now I got an error message saying my video card's power cable is not plugged in and I risk damaging my hardware by not having it plugged in and as a result the card will be running at a lower performance level. I never saw a cable for plugging in when I opened my new card--nor do I know where it would plug into (somewhere on the mobo?) I DO see the cable connected from the video card to the fan (I assume) on the video card. The fan on the video card is operating. So I hope someone can help answer my question about this power cable! Is Vista tripping, or is there a cable for the 8600 *GTS* (not to be confused with the 8600 GT)? I believe my card has 256MB RAM. Yesterday I updated the latest Nvidia drivers.

Error message appeared again:

"To protect your hardware from potential damage or causing a potential system lockup, the graphics processor has lowered its performance to a level that allows continued safe operations."

Here is a picture of my card:
March 14, 2008 6:01:42 PM

Thanks!! How do you run windows95 if no software runs on it anymore? Or does it?
!