Diablo 2 limited to 25 fps on 8800GTX ?

Hi guys,

I just read somewhere about the /fps option for Diablo2 so I decided to try it. I started the game, typed enter, typed /fps in the message area, typed enter to close the message area, started playing. It kept saying 25 fps. I turned shadows on/off, lighting to low, etc, it stayed at 25 fps anyway. A bit low, IMO, for a game made in 2000, running at 800x600, on a Q6600/8800GTX OC2 rig. I was just wondering, is this something intentional, i.e. a limit in the game?

If anybody knows the answer, or has the game installed and can try it quickly, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

caskachan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
IMPORTANT NOTE!!::

use video configurato and use DIRECT DRAW

DIrect DRAW acceleration for maximum constant FPS (whatever the max is) becuase you see i used to play diablo 2 and made a sumon mancer for the hell of it th eproblem is i i had 12 of every species 24 skellies and 12 summoned and my golem . and fps dropped a lot when using DIRECT 3D, mostly in the baal runs, but when we used direct draw, the game kept its pace, something to do with nvidia drivers /game design /new cards

btw this was in waest ladder about 2 months ago on 8600gt, and it happened last year on a 7600 as well

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Well, At best I'm assuming built in game limiter as the screen at 24hz would cause your eyes to bleed (Vsync enabled in graphics card driver options). I'd be wrong to pin a year to when Diablo came out, but foresight might have allowed the developer to include this as a current and future protection scheme so that screen tearing would be avoided.

To summarize caskachan: directdraw is used for 2d rendering (even though it's possible to do 3d at a much lower speed) while direct3d is used for 3d rendering. Diablo2 falls under 2d rendering.