• Games
  • Diablo
  • FPS
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
a b Î Nvidia
January 18, 2008 2:18:12 AM

Hi guys,

I just read somewhere about the /fps option for Diablo2 so I decided to try it. I started the game, typed enter, typed /fps in the message area, typed enter to close the message area, started playing. It kept saying 25 fps. I turned shadows on/off, lighting to low, etc, it stayed at 25 fps anyway. A bit low, IMO, for a game made in 2000, running at 800x600, on a Q6600/8800GTX OC2 rig. I was just wondering, is this something intentional, i.e. a limit in the game?

If anybody knows the answer, or has the game installed and can try it quickly, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

More about : diablo limited fps 8800gtx

January 18, 2008 5:26:19 AM

Yup - it's a frame limiter built into the game. Helps the dude in the game to fight at 0.00001 of the speed the computer can fight at which seems fair...
a b Î Nvidia
January 18, 2008 6:18:26 AM

All righty then, now it makes sense. Thanks!
Related resources
January 18, 2008 6:29:33 AM

IMPORTANT NOTE!!::

use video configurato and use DIRECT DRAW

DIrect DRAW acceleration for maximum constant FPS (whatever the max is) becuase you see i used to play diablo 2 and made a sumon mancer for the hell of it th eproblem is i i had 12 of every species 24 skellies and 12 summoned and my golem . and fps dropped a lot when using DIRECT 3D, mostly in the baal runs, but when we used direct draw, the game kept its pace, something to do with nvidia drivers /game design /new cards

btw this was in waest ladder about 2 months ago on 8600gt, and it happened last year on a 7600 as well

January 18, 2008 6:47:22 AM

Well, At best I'm assuming built in game limiter as the screen at 24hz would cause your eyes to bleed (Vsync enabled in graphics card driver options). I'd be wrong to pin a year to when Diablo came out, but foresight might have allowed the developer to include this as a current and future protection scheme so that screen tearing would be avoided.

To summarize caskachan: directdraw is used for 2d rendering (even though it's possible to do 3d at a much lower speed) while direct3d is used for 3d rendering. Diablo2 falls under 2d rendering.