"RAID 0 Volume Is Failing", What To Do?

renderman

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I've only been using a Raid setup for a couple of months so please excuse my lack of knowledge on this subject.

I have two 500gb Seagate 7200.11 drives using Intel Matrix Raid to give me an 80gb C drive for the OS in Raid 0, and the rest for a D drive for data in Raid 1. I'm now getting a message telling me that:

"A drive in a Raid 0 volume is failing. Try to back up data immediately."

When I open the Intel Matrix Console, it tells me that it's my Raid 1 volume that has been degraded and that I need to restore it. It gives me the option to "Rebuild Raid Volume Now", which it says "Rebuilding the Raid volume will reestablish user file protection from a single hard drive failure." It also says "User files on the new hard drive will be lost." So how should I go about fixing this?

I have a third Seagate, an older 300gb one, as my E drive and I have already backed up everything from the C and D drives. Should I use the Rebuild Volume option in the Intel Matrix console? If I do that will I lose everything or does it do something like format the bad Raid 1 volume and copy the data from the good Raid 1 volume back over? Should I just format the entire two drives and reinstall the OS? Any suggestions?

Lastly, would you recommend not using onboard Raid? Would you recommend getting a Raptor for the OS and leave the 500gb Seagates for Data? Or should I get two other smaller drives for Raid 0 for the OS?

Thank for any help and sorry for the loaded question.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Does it not indicate which drive has failed? It is a waste of time trying to rebuild a failing drive. If you do go ahead it should copy the data from the good drive to the damaged drive to restore the mirror status.

Mike.

renderman

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Thanks Mike.

That's something I forgot to mention. It gives me the serial number of the failing drive. What I forgot to ask as well is does failing me the drive is dying or is there just a problem with the Raid or partitions or something? Is there some sort of test I can run to figure that out?