Your question

Windows Vista Restore Points

Tags:
  • Data Recovery
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows Vista
Last response: in Windows Vista
November 14, 2011 9:12:48 AM

Hi, I'm new here :)  About 2 days ago my laptop HDD started clicking noises and now I cannot boot to windows. I tried using the recovery tool, still no luck .. It's stuck there for more than 10 hours now :(  . I have a very important file in that HDD and I cannot get it out due to this problem. Luckily using Disk Commander I managed to get the latest restore point files inside the "System Volume Information" folder. So my question is, is there anyway I can extract those restore point files using another PC and get my important file ? (I'm pretty sure that the file I need is there in those recovery files as that file was on my "desktop".). Kindly advise. Thank you

More about : windows vista restore points

November 14, 2011 9:17:54 AM

Don't know how that would go, but do u have a chance to put the laptop HDD to another PC and get your data back that way, if they are so important?
m
l
November 14, 2011 9:26:57 AM

Hi, Thanks for the quickly reply .. I got the files inside the "System Volume Information" by connecting the HDD to my other PC. I tried accessing the other folders (eg : users/.../desktop), but still no luck .. It freezes. Any idea how I can extract those system restore files manually ?

Thanks
m
l
November 14, 2011 9:36:30 AM

Could u make image of the drive to another HDD?
m
l
November 14, 2011 9:38:21 AM

That's what I would do first, in case of the HDD dies on u.
m
l
November 14, 2011 9:51:29 AM

Tried to create an image using Norton Ghost .. Still it freezes. :( 
m
l
November 14, 2011 9:56:20 AM

Can u try it when HDD is cold, right before it gets warm?

Are u trying that in the PC? Not as a boot drive?
m
l
!